1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Using Fansites? Take Care What You Say

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Sep 8, 2017.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Among football fans it is very well known that the owners and supporters of Blackpool FC are not on good terms. It is also common knowledge that comments on fan websites can be very immoderate at times.

However, a recent case shows that no matter how deep the vituperative feelings are, lack of care when making online comments can prove expensive.

The case involved a comment made by a fan on the 'Fansonline' website that a solicitor employed by Blackpool FC's owners had been struck off. The comment was repeated on another football fansite. The solicitor sued the poster for libel, the claim being untrue and defamatory.

The fan claimed that very few people would have seen his post (it was published in the off season) and that the solicitor had suffered no loss of reputation as a result, because he has no client base which would be influenced by the posting and his employers would take no account of it whatsoever.

However, the Court did not agree and awarded the solicitor £18,000 for the damage to his reputation.

Full court judgement - http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2017/1292.html

2. tigerincanada

tigerincanada Well-Known Member

I've not seen the word "vituperative" before. One never stops learning and now I'll have to use it but will be careful that I don't get sued. Thanks for the info and warning.

3. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

I warned of exactly this on this forum earlier this week regarding posts mainly about players and was shouted down by the forum mafia.

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven't seen any of our players being accused of being struck off solicitors...

5. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Which is why if someone does act like a **** towards you, get a screenshot.

Amazes me people think they can post whatever they like online, like they're immune from normal life and the law.

Tickton Tiger. and ImperialTiger like this.
  6. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

Half the people on twitter should be locked up for this kind of libel / defamation of character (the other half should get a slap on the wrist for being on twitter).

Edit: Off to read Rick's summary of Ehab's interview.

GLP and Happy Tiger like this.