1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

US Golf Open, Pinehurst

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by redcgull, Jun 11, 2024.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

So the next instalment of a golfing Major starts up again this week as the golfing world tunes in to the US Open 2024 being held at the Pinehurst golfing club in North Carolina, the no.2 course being the one that the golfers have to crack. I say the no.2 course as they have 10 golf courses at the resort, like the one isnt just good enough hey... Yanks...!!<laugh><laugh>

So what do we have in store...? Well the premium will be approach shots and scrambling as this course will play tough for those who are not great with their mid-range irons. Pinehurst checked in as third-most challenging in hitting greens in regulation throughout the 2013-14 season, the last time they played the Major here, with just 56.51 percent and that wasn't the end of it... For players who don't land on the dancefloor of these perfectly manicured greens, the chances of breaking par drops massively, so get your dance shoes on...!! The couple this to the fact that they US Open big wigs like the winner to be no more than maybe -5 under at a push, it all lends to players who can grit it out...

Lets forget about Scheffler, the current 3/1 fav, crazy if you ask me, even if he may well go on to win it, our Rory comes in as second fav at 11/1. Not my type of odds so I'm going with the following...

Bryson DeChambeau @ 18/1
    A bit skinny for what I normally go for but this man has the game and patience to get round here pretty much unscathed. T6 in the Masters, had a great PGA Championship, he knows how to win this tournament being the 2020 winner at Wingfoot...

Matt Fitzpatrick @ 40/1
    He was the leading amateur golfer when they last played here in 2014, so will have good memories of the place, exactly what he had when winning the 2022 US Open at The Country Club, being the junior US Open winner. So maybe, just maybe...??

Max Homa @ 40/1
    Another player who seems to relish the course the harder it is, and he has great stats for approaching the green. Is another one off the golfing production line that the US seem to be churning out at the moment, and i do think he's got the game to win this...

Pilgrim likes this.
  2. redcgull

Also, BET365 have the following bets on their specials board, both worth a go...!!

Top 20 finish...
    Justin Thomas, Max Home & Patrick Cantlay @ 20/1

Top 20 finish...
    Shane Lowery, Tommy Fleetwood & Matt Fitzpatrick @ 20/1

Pilgrim likes this.
  3. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Good luck

Top 40 Finish

Rico Hoey @ 15-2 [Paddy Power]

Missed his last few cuts but is in top 8 for Strokes gained off the tee which could be an asset this week

redcgull likes this.
  4. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Missed Cut<doh>

5. stick

stick Bumper King

Wish I had a piece of that 18/1.
    Bryson really has reinvented himself. He is no longer intensely serious and coming across as grumpy and unapproachable.
    Some of his interactions with the crowd yesterday were fantastic although at times maybe he allowed himself to get a little distracted. He really has gone from arch villain to superhero.

redcgull likes this.
  6. redcgull

Happy days, Bryson DeChambeau pulls off a dramatic final hole US open victory after Rory lost the plot dropping three shots in the last four holes to finish runner-up once again.

Gotta feel for Rory, his talent dos indeed warrant another Major victory but you can't deny how well Bryson played, and as Stick has pointed out, almost re-invented himself to the media, fans and probably players with his very open and candid take on some of his shots. Denying the crowd a booming drive on one of the back 9 holes on Saturday to play an iron shot was one example of him playing up to his new image.

For Rory, this could be a right ole punch to the chops, one that he may not get up from, though i hope he dos. Too good a player not to win another Major, but with the talent out there now, those odds are diminishing as each and every Major plays out.

On to our Open next, and Rory will be in the top 5 of the betting to become the Open Champion once again, but don't hold your breath...!!!

7. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Is De Chambeau the one who tries to smash the dimples off the ball with his driver?

8. redcgull

Yep, but he's sort of 'bulked down' a bit since he decided that's the way to play golf a few years ago.

Saying that, he still smashes it miles...

OddDog likes this.