1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Up for the cup!? Exeter. Away.

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I remember going to this under Keane or Jewell. We won 3-2 AET - a certain Ronan Murray with the winner. Cannot recall the rest of the game...?!

Under Mick these games were a massive white flag.

Apparently Hurst likes the cup, so going to expect quite a strong side, maybe 4 changes max?

I'll go for a win this time. 3-1 town. We'll click, and be through. Need to follow it up vs Villa however.....

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I've gone for two wins in the last two games and been left empty-handed, so I'll opt for a 2-1 defeat and desperately hoped to be proved wrong. Maybe this is a chance to see the Downes, Nydam, and Dozzell axis in the middle of the park again? They did well in the friendly against West Ham and we could do a lot worse. This team needs a win for the motivation and hopefully we'll be playing with more than one striker. Exeter are no pushovers though, play off finalists last season and although long-running former manager Paul Tisdale has left for MK Dons, Exeter have won their opening two games of the season.

Westlake33 likes this.
  3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I think all the new lads need game time together so don't expect too many changes.
    A narrow win (at last!)?

4. Westlake33

Apparently Dozza miles off it fitness wise / Downes ill so I get why they weren't in the squad maybe vs Rotherham.

Utterly confused regarding Nydam though - SHOULD have been in the squad.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Downes is fit and although Dozzell isn't fit he will still perhaps get minutes from the bench.

Well down the pecking order -

Chalobah, Nolan, Skuse, Edun, Dozzell, Bishop, Downes, Rowe all ahead of him. Be surprised if he didn't go out on loan.

6. Westlake33

Dozza U23 today so won't be playing.

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Strong team for this one, we need to get a win under our belts so I'll go for a 2-1 win.

Am I the only one who won't mind if Nydam, Dozzell and Downes all get loaned out this year?
    My take on it is that they all need a full season of playing to really progress. Most people are saying that we are just replacing these lads with league one players and that it's detrimental to the squad. I'd argue that we are replacing them with players who have played many more games than the academy lads. Sure it's from a league or two lower but they've been out there on the pitch competing every week and I can see it coming good over the coming months. Get our academy boys out there playing every week and that would surely benefit us for next season when most fans would expect us to be challenging higher up the table.

Nuggets likes this.
  8. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I agree SD. Cant see Hurst re-tuning his team with 3 not proven fitness. He will use this game to give most of his 1st choice team another good runaround, maybe changing the formation, and even starting with 2 frontsmen! Nothing wrong in going out on loan, playing every week, getting match fit and being re-assured that when fit and injury free with say 10 full games under yr belt, you may get a re-call!

9. Nuggets

Personally, I can see the advantages that could bring. I certainly believe that Downes and Nydam should be getting first team football and regular playing time, so a loan move is a good way to enable those players to develop. Downes benefited from participating in a promotion campaign last season, so if we can ensure that both Downes and Nydam join a lower league team that has an emphasis on playing the type of football Paul Hurst is implementing here, then why not?

I would prefer Dozzell to be retained, he's our brightest prospect and because once you take Downes and Nydam out, we will potentially be short of options in central midfield. I guess if we have a quick recall option, then there isn't much of a risk. But we have not exactly been blessed with a full bill of health in that area and it's a position that has been affected by several big injuries over the past couple of years.

10. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I hear what you're saying, Nuggets.
    I still think it would be better for Dozzell to go out, play regularly and learn the rigours of full time football. A season long loan would give all the lads another year to bulk up and get used to playing every week in matches that matter. Having said that it might be prudent to keep Andre for injury cover. I'm sure he would get some minutes but would he really see enough game time to progress as much as if he was out on loan?

11. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer a side as close to 1st choice as possible. This side will only benefit from time together on the pitch.

Morris and Dozzell should see some minutes, but this game - for belief in the new era - is far more important than Blackburn or Rotherham was. Throw it away, nothings changed, really go for the win we can kick start the Dawn

12. Nuggets

If the right clubs are picked for Downes, Nydam, and Dozzell, then yes, I agree that it is probably better off they go there for first team football, but it’s got to be regular and they’ve got to be clubs that play similarly to us.

I think regarding Dozzell it depends if he’s going to be a first team regular here. He has a lot of competition for places, particularly if we revert to a front two. I am worried that if they miss out this “transitional” season here, where expectations are low and Hurst’s philosophy is being implemented, they’ll almost be expected to come in the season after, adapt quickly, and stake a claim in a team expected to finish higher up the table. A six month loan for Dozzell, where hopefully he’ll get regular first team football (no guarantees there) should be enough for him.

San Diego likes this.
  13. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I'm of the opinion that you play your strongest available side for all matches, and if like MM you don't consider the Cup competitions to be anything but an intrusion then don't enter them, there is a choice.

14. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Not a bad line up...but would've like to have seen Harrison and Jackson together.
    Looking at the line-up I'll go for a morale boosting 3-1 win...Jackson, Sears and Nsiala on the score sheet

15. Southcoastoldgaffer

Hurst seems reluctant to play them together!

16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Get in!
    Jackson scores

17. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Sounds like Knudsen is on track for flop of the season :emoticon-0102-bigsm

18. Southcoastoldgaffer

Welcome back Teddy!

Let's be having you, Town need a big lift, after Chambo gifted.

19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ipswich!

20. Southcoastoldgaffer

Oh gawd, I have a feeling about this, long trek back to Suffolk for some!