1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Under-Promise and Over-Deliver

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Doyler, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Doyler

Doyler Member

... that's what John Henry said he likes to do.

So, is this transfer window a case in point? At the beginning of the summer, we were hearing from "ITKs" about links to Aguero and Mata, and now the tune has definitely changed. In the last 48 hours we've been linked to Henderson, Cattermole, and even Barton!

There are two possibilities: 1) Kenny Dalglish actually thinks that buying Lee Cattermole will help us improve and 2) someone at Anfield is basically feeding ****e to the press to keep the attention off our real targets.

Option 1 is possible, I suppose, though it would cause me to lose a bit of faith in Kenny's ability. Not that my opinion matters at all, but if we go out this summer and buy Dann, Cattermole, and Lennon we're going to struggle to make the top 4 next season. It's possible, especially with King Kenny in charge, but a lot of my optimism about the future will go right down the drain.

I think there's a good possibility it's option 2. Some of the information, particularly in the case of Barton, just feels like someone is winding us up and seeing how far they can get a rumour to go. More to the point, if it is a smokescreen, it's been a massive success. The press is all convinced that we're seriously looking at Moukandjo and Cattermole, meaning they're not probing into other deals, meaning we can go quietly about our business.

Now, I have no doubt that we'll end up with a British player or two at overpriced valuations, but if we can make them young players with potential, and not players who aren't any better than what we have, then that should suit us. I just think we'll also end up with a really top-quality player somewhere in the mix as well, despite what the press say.

2. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

With what Kenny has done since he's come in, I believe that whoever he brings in will do the job that Kenny bought them for. He has a remarkable ability of getting the best out of players and inspiring them, so even if he brought the likes of Ronaldinho or Kaka who are clearly past it, I think he could get something close to the best out of them.

Although I do see what you're saying about the likes of Dann, Lennon and Cattermole. I'm all for top English talent - but I've seen what these guys can do and I'm not impressed by them. The benefit (and problem) with buying overseas talent is that you have no idea how they'll adapt to the English game, and most of the time it's up to the manager to help them transition as quickly as possible. So I would be happier if we bought an overseas player that I've never seen play who plays in a position we lack, than a player than I already know and what that player's limitations are.

3. Bozz

Bozz Well-Known Member

It wouldn't suprise me if it's both. we need depth, Liverpool fans want Liverpool to contest on all front and even without europe a premier league season (one in which we will look to compete with the top 2-3 teams) and big cups runs are going to tire the team. Cattermole & Henderson are both young & experianced so would prove very useful in the cup runs. We could have done with a player like Cattermole in the game against Northampton last season.

But if our leakers are vocal about these signings then it keeps the press from probing further about bigger signings. FSG have over delivered on everything they have done so far (Warriour Deal, Scouser as cheif exec, Kenny instead of random Forgein manager, giving the manager the funds from the Torres deal immediatley) so I have full confidence in them this transfer window and beyond.

Before anyone mentions the stadium you only have to look at H&G's 60 days and the shambles that was the new Wembley to see these things can't be rushed

4. Somerset_Scouse

Id quite happily take Lennon, just the sort of player we need, pace, can beat a man and knock in a half decent cross!