1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Ukraine

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by stonkin, Feb 27, 2022.

1. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

Just to lift the mood in here a little after our sad loss of Bielsa.

Anybody else thinking that now the West has pissed on Putin and things don't seem to be going quite his way in Ukraine (only based on what our media are saying) he'll do something really stupid like give certain religious fanatics who hate us the ingredients for dirty bombs. Or even use them himself and make it look like someone else did it. After all, he is a complete fecking loon.

2. brisbane-lion

brisbane-lion Well-Known Member

Conspiracy theory #1.
    Here's another. Putin has invaded Ukraine to make Biden look bad and boost Trumps assault on a second term in the Whitehouse. :1980_boogie_down:

3. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

I know it's propaganda 101 but Putin having his own way for 20+ years, everybody saying yes sir, no sir, do you want that with cream sir and not arguing with him, for long, seems to have caused him to lose any sense of reality. Then to cap it all he comes up against a bunch of drug crazed, western inspired nobodies lead by an ex-comedian and he gets a bloody nose and told to f' off. It must be doing his ego a heap of damage. So yes he could just be unhinged enough to do something stupid.

4. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

My concern is that a number of people supposed to be genuine experts on Russia and Putin have said they miscalled it, they did not believe he would do something as unhinged as a full invasion of UKraine, as it did not make sense for him to do so.

but he did it. That worries me because obviously it would make no sense to use nukes, either……

Eric Le Merde and stonkin like this.
  5. 2020VisionofLeeds

Plus I’m worried he’s backed himself into a corner and I am not sure where the statesman is who can extricate him. Not sure Biden can and don’t get me started on Johnson.

6. 2020VisionofLeeds

7. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can’t see how he can or would step down after this. I think the west have gone full throttle as he has went unchallenged for far too long, they want his own people to overthrow him. We also have China watching what happens, Putins actions need to be made an example of for anyone else thinking it’s okay to invade another country.

8. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

If china reacts Russia are screwed they have the means to fight him.

9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Put that "experts " got it wrong on as many scenarios you care.....you would be right!!

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

My worry-is that an obvious long term plan seems to be working. First Putin does a deal with Xi in China and agrees not to attack Ukraine while the winter olympics are on ( he attacked the day after it ended) Putin moved all his troops from the Chinese border to Ukraine……. But we also have another Putin mate who is also a NATO member, but this membe detests the EU and NATO and is also mad as a box of frogs (Erdogan, TURKEY) lets see what they do because nobody talking about them

stonkin and Irishshako like this.

11. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

It's his ego. He won't accept defeat in Ukraine. He needs concessions to even consider pulling troops back.

Ukraine have said no concessions. The west have grouped together and imposed sanctions which are now taking effect.

He's pretty much isolated as China have just looked the other way.

His only option is to win in Ukraine quickly (unlikely) or start lobbing bigger bombs about (likely) to force it.

Norwayleedsforever likes this.
  12. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

They are stopping Russian ships from entering the black sea or making legal moves to do so. Turkey, thus far, have condemned Russia and surprisingly quite strongly. They have called it a war which allows them temporary control over the entrance to the black sea.

13. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Erdogan is Right Wing so no way would he side with a Commie.

OLOF, Irishshako and Makemstine Roger like this.
  14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I mean China seeing how the West react. China would love to do the same to Taiwan

stonkin and Norwayleedsforever like this.
  15. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Putin has seriously miss calculated and thus backed himself into a corner like the rat he is, unfortunately when a rat is backed into a corner it will lash out in any direction
    What we need is someone with balls close to Putin to take him out, not very likely so things could get very messy

16. Norwayleedsforever

Norwayleedsforever Well-Known Member

What can be said about Putin?I think he has totally underestimated Ukraine's defensive ability and willingness to defend itself.In fact, I think a lot of people in the West were surprised and still are surprised at how well Ukraine are defending itself.He has probably not imagined that the West would shut him out of all his economic resources in the West, nor has he imagined that the West would send so many weapons to Ukraine.

Do not think Putin or his generals have understood how good the Western weapons system actually is.In other words, he has underestimated a whole range of things that are only now beginning to dawn on him.

What worries me now is that he has backed himself farther and farther into a corner that he cannot get out of with his honor intact.Not just above the rest of the world but above its own people.He has promised his own people that he will make Russia great again and that includes getting as much back as possible to the old Soviet Union.I think he thought it would be fairly quick to occupy Ukraine with little loses and now it turns out that it is not that easy. And Because the Russians are struggling in their attack on Ukraine and the Wests support of Ukraine, he is now threatening to use nuclear weapons. He just may be crazy enough to use it. I hope not but you never know with insane dictators.

That more and more Russians dare to take to the streets and protest against what he is doing in Ukraine, despite the fact that he has banned it makes him look weak.This is probably a bit "embarrassing" for him so he has to come up with something that makes him seem strong.

He has always been angry at the fall of the Soviet Union and wanting it back to former glory.

The fact that no-one is supporting him except from Belarus and North Korea who has its own maniacs on the throne, speaks volume. He is finding himself more and more isolated and alone. That can make a man like this dangerous.

17. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

or **** in our Guinness supplies<yikes>

Norwayleedsforever likes this.
  18. Irishshako

<laugh>

19. Irishshako

Send your mate Abbott in......<laugh>

OLOF and xbpod like this.
  20. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

Back in 2015 Turkey shot down a Russian fighter that violated their airspace on its way to Syria. The Turks had warned them.