1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

UEFA is a laughing stock!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spudulike, May 24, 2013.

1. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

The latest ridiculous decision by UEFA is from 2015; to give the winners of the UEFA Europa League a UEFA Champions League spot the following year!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22640095

Umm... so do the runners up then automatically get a spot in the UEFA Europa League to compensate for the missing team from that competition the following year, seeing the winners won't defend their title?

More importantly, which team and from where gets to miss out on the UEFA Champions League by creating a place for the team who won a completely different competition? This has to be a wind up surely?

UEFA... just another bunch of bureaucrats trying to justify their inflated salaries by creating new unnecessary rules, season after season. Pointless. <grr>

2. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

They don't have to take a team out they just have to move one team into an earlier qualifying round and play them against the new team they add. At the moment, as I'm sure you know, different teams enter at different rounds of qualifying so it's a case of making one team move back a stage if that's the way they want to do it.

I think it's stupid and the final straw in devaluing the competition on it's own but they've been doing that ever since they let teams into the European Cup that hadn't won their league to qualify. It's a the terrible cherry on top of a terrible cake but we can't do anything about it and it could only benefit us so it's not worth getting upset over.

It's all a bit stupid as they're rewriting rules they only created a few years ago but the proposals as a whole mean that were the samething to happen as last year, with an English team finishing outside the top 4 and winning the CL, the team in 4th would not be affected and would go to the CL too.

3. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Too bloody late

4. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

Chelsea are not defending it next season,so i don't see a problem

5. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

I.e. They realised what happened to us was totally unjust but didn't have the balls to do anything about it at the time, so waited one year to fix it... We should be awarded a retrospective Champions League place next year as compensation for UEFA's incompetence <doh>

6. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I can just about accept the CL winners gaining entry into next year's competition even if they don't finish in a qualifying league position (like Chelsea) but EL winners is one step too far. Newcastle could feasibly have won the EL this season. Does a team finishing 16th in its domestic league deserve a place in a "Champions" league?

7. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

funny enough i was thinking that,D/L will tell you we should of been in it,instead of one of the turkish teams

8. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I've been advocating this for ages as some of my previous posts will confirm. If you play in a league with 3 or 4 teams run by Mr money bags, what chance do the smaller teams have. Win the ropey, thats all. Now there's another route for a smaller team to break into the big time. Also the ropey will now become worth trying for. Well done UEFA (for a change).

9. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

So it looks like we will be the only team ever to finish 4th in our league, only for the team who finished 6th to take our CL place for winning the previous seasons competition. Typical, stable door horse bolted etc..

Sounds about right for Spurs, if there is any sort of bad luck out there to be had..... we are guaranteed to find it.

10. The Serious Guy

The Serious Guy Active Member

I, like deedub, can't really see the negative here. The Europy is a waste of time as it stands currently, at least now there'll be proper attempts at winning the thing by clubs, should make it a bit more interesting. Next step, remove qualification through failure in the Champions League, and you have a fairly legitimate second tier competition going on.

I think the best idea though is the one someone on here suggested about the two equal competitions, with a Superbowl-esque competition at the end. That **** would definitely be worth watching.

11. BajanSpur

BajanSpur Well-Known Member

I have the same views., only I'd implement the change now. Make it something worth winning immediately, not from 2015.

I would also like to see the Europa moved from Thursdays to Wednesday Evenings. Finally, do away with the group stage, this would reduce the incidence of negative football. We have witnessed the parking of the bus tactics too often by some of our european opponents. These sre the sort of changes needed to elevate the Europa Cup Competition.

12. Chirpy rides again

Chirpy rides again Active Member

Can't really see a down side. The real travesty is CL losers being allowed to compete in the latter stages of the EL.

13. Jamrag

Jamrag Well-Known Member

Agree with both of these sentiments. However, disagree with Bajan who thinks it should be implemented immediately.

14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd be interested to know how many CL dropouts have ended up winning the EL (i.e. to the detriment of teams that actually qualified for it).

Also :

1. Why could this have not been arranged for next season if it's such a good idea.

2. What happens if the winners of the EL have already qualified for the CL.

Some of the questions asked in this thread are quite obvious, but I didn't hear the "journalists" mention them when I first heard the news.

15. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

As far as I have read if you win the EL and finish outside the top 4 you get a CL spot along with the top 4 teams from your league (so a league can now have 5 representatives in the CL).
    If you win the EL but qualify for the CL via your league position, like for example Chelsea did this year, then the Europa League loses its CL position and one of the higher seeded teams who didnt make it due to their league coefficient gets a Qualifying round spot.
    If the CL winners finish outside the top 4, then they go into next seasons CL along with ALL four of the clubs that finished top 4 in their respective league (so no repeat of what happened to you guys in 2012).

The only time 4th spot would now drop into the Europa League is in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY event that two teams from the same country win the CL and EL and BOTH fail to make the top 4. In which case the top 3, the CL winners and EL winners go into the CL and 4th spot gets Europa.
    But I honestly cant see that ever happening.

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Is there any reason that they're not implementing it from next season? They obviously think that it's a good idea and there's nothing to organise. Useless.

17. seanDCFC

seanDCFC New Member

Wow the Champions of a tournament getting in the the Champions League, madness <doh>