1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic TV series - good and bad

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Commachio, Mar 29, 2016.

1. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

I was in the Army but due to my job we had interpreters to help us communicate with locals. One of them I spoke to about it one day and he insisted there was no way the locals knew what was going on.

He tried to say that the camp was in such a location that at the time there was nothing around and the houses I saw now that would have seen hundreds of malnourished and mistreated men women and children pass by on their way to the camp wouldn't have even been there.

I didn't believe that at the time and I don't believe that now! What I have changed my mind on is what could they do by that point?

Snaggey likes this.
  2. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

When we lived in France we were 15kms from a village called Oradour sur Glane, where on 10th June 1944 a total of over 600 men women and children were massacred as a revenge over the D Day landings.
    It was a place to visit as the village was left as a memorial, and we took several of our visitors over the 5 years we lived there but in the end we had to stop going as it was such an upsetting place to visit, it was really eerie, little or no bird sounds a very strange atmosphere.
    Can't imagine visiting the concentration camps, dont think I would cope with the horror of it all.
    War is a really horrible business and when the Ukrainian war is finished and it's all investigated were going to find a lot more horror.

Sunderlad, Gatesy, rooch 3 and 2 others like this.
  3. young2077

Interesting that you mention no bird sounds it's one thing that everyone who went would say about it. No bird sounds.

Like I say I'm equal parts disappointed and not disappointed that I didn't go and visit.

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  4. Milton Nunez's Thong

Milton Nunez's Thong Well-Known Member

I watched this and whilst I thought it was very well done, I got really annoyed by then by the main actress. Can't explain why, she just did my tits in.

5. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

I can recommend the Arnie documentary on Netflix. Excellent.

Pirate likes this.
  6. young2077

I stopped watching small light, 3 episodes in. Subject matter was hard going and got a few things going in personally that mean I probably shouldn't watch stuff like that. Will go back to it eventually.

Just been watching full monty TV series on Disney for a bit of light hearted ****e.

Shame Ted Lasso has finished as it's probably what I need at the minute with its positive attitude stuff <laugh>.

7. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Watched Ten Pound Poms last week. Promised much, delivered little 5/10
    Litvenenko this week. Decent, but last episode was a snoozefest 6/10
    Succession next week I think. Heard good things about it

8. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Nobody warned me about Under the Dome, bastards, what a pile of

Daz and The Exile II like this.
  9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

We're just finishing watching Succession, superb show. I think you'll love it.

TopCat_ likes this.
  10. The Exile II

Started The Full Monty.

Despite being written by the same bloke, there's the now standard shoehorning in of Diverse Female GirlBoss Who Suffers No Consequences For Her Idiotic Actions. She takes up 75% of the first episode.

However, the remaining 25% is a joy, watching the old cast back together, so it gets a second episode before I bin it.

11. young2077

I enjoyed it mate. Do you mean the daughter?

It's a theme of full monty though isn't it? Characters doing things a bit questionable and talking their way out of it? Certainly is in the new TV series!

The film had stealing and shoplifting including the character who was the security guard robbing from the shop he was supposed to be working in.

12. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Just remembered a tv series I really liked
    Hazel, had some good parts since as well.

13. The Exile II

It's not the action in itself, it's the attitude. Very few people act like that in real life. Making characters complete arseholes it's impossible to identify with is why a lot of modern stuff fails. Carlyle's character, everyone knew someone like him and that's why it worked so well.

Random lad likes this.
  14. young2077

If you are on about the daughter she has been pretty much abandoned by her Dad by his own admission and his best mate calls him out for it.

She also has a lot going on at home, with her Mam and he choice of men! I think young men and women can grow up with that attitude due to all of that. If people weren't like that in real life where do the ideas of them come from?

She herself fixes the situation she created in the first episode, despite others around her wanting to do something completely different to make it worse.

The last episode is ridiculous for breaking the law with no consequences by the way.

The Exile II likes this.
  15. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I must admit I'm enjoying watching The Silo at the minute. It's caught my attention and I'm curious where the story will go. Rebecca Ferguson in the lead role definitely adds to the appeal too.

Neil likes this.
  16. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

Aye I’m enjoying it too, have the latest one still to watch

Flash Gordon likes this.
  17. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

The Last Dance on Netflix - Michael Jordan documentary (outstanding stuff)

18. young2077

Did anyone watch "The Bear" on Disney+?

Just finished my second watch of it as the new series is out soon (there are so many shows I have enjoyed but can't get into the new season as I can't remember much of what happened before as this one is short I had a catch up)

It is absolutely brilliant imo. If I was to describe it to someone I couldn't make it sound good, my wife asked what I was watching first time I watched it and I said "I won't explain it cause it will sound **** but it's really good".

Nacho likes this.
  19. The Exile II

I find it remarkable that the American writers guild has now been on strike for nearly three months and hardly anyone has noticed.

20. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Absolutely brilliant is right it's a belter. New series out at the end of the week is it?

young2077 likes this.