1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Trap off?

Discussion in 'Republic of Ireland' started by RebelBhoy, Sep 9, 2013.

1. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Giovanni Trapattoni has accepted his reign as Republic of Ireland manager is likely to end after the current World Cup campaign finishes.

The 74-year-old was defiant in the wake of Friday's 2-1 home defeat by Sweden, which effectively ended the team's chances of making it to Rio next year.

However, speaking ahead of Tuesday's game with Austria, he admitted his six-year tenure may not be extended.

"I don't expect after this campaign, to go again with Ireland," he said.

It is the first time the Italian has accepted he is unlikely to be in charge for qualifying for the 2016 European Championship, but he pointed to his record over the past three campaigns as proof of the improvements he has made with the team.

"Over five years, I think we have achieved a good result," he said.

"We have changed the team, we have improved the ranking, we have moved on players and discovered many others.

"In France, the first time in the (2010) World Cup play-off, you know we deserved to go through; then we achieved qualification for Euro 2012; now maybe the third position could be also a good result for us.

"Obviously, I thought until Saturday we could qualify and if we did achieve that result, then after Brazil, sure, I don't think about continuing."

However, when asked if he would resign before the current qualifying campaign ends next month, Trapattoni said: "Me? No.

"I can continue and help the next manager because in this short time, maybe this player or another can show the next manager where he can place his trust and how to develop him."

Former Northern Ireland international, and ex-Celtic, Aston Villa and Sunderland boss, Martin O'Neill, has already been installed as the bookmakers' favourite to succeed Trapattoni.

2. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

He should have gone after the Euro 2012 but he blackmailed the FAI into giving him a contract.

3. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

Martin O'Neill would be a great choice imo, he would pick the young players and he plays nice football.

4. Gunner McGunner

Gunner McGunner Active Member

Martin O'Neill would be my choice too, though knowing the FAI they'll try to surprise us with a 'World Class' manager Ala Staunton.

5. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice football?......serious?

6. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

Hopefully he goes as soon as the final whistle goes vs Austria so to give the new manager a few pressureless competitive internationals to get to know the squad and how they play best. Get as many games under his belt with the team before the Qualifying for the Euros begins in earnest

7. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

Compared to Trapp yes he does play decent football. He played some good stuff at Villa for sure, I don't know what he was like for Celtic because I don't watch Scottish football but im assuming you think his football was not the best?

8. Super hooper

Super hooper New Member

Nice football is quite far down the list of requirements . Just as Clinton said
    election is about The economy , stupid , Irish int. team is about winning ,
    Winning , stupid and winning. If we get the winning right and consistent the
    Beauty of the game can be found and implemented .
    MO'n is that man .

9. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Not for Celtic. Effective, but never a thing of beauty.

Noel King taking the reins for the last couple of beatings.

10. anportmorbhoy

anportmorbhoy Well-Known Member

I dunno here Reb. His teams were effective. O'Neills teams used to regularly hammer teams on a lot more regular basis than say the present Celtic side. A fact often forgotten. In the first 4 years it worked. His last year to a lesser degree. But there were some big scores in there. Granted there were some good players too. Maybe not barcelona esq, but good to watch IMO. Id much rather watch them than the present shower of ****e.....maybe more down to having Sutton, Lubo and Larrson to watch though?!

Didnt really have a pan b though. It was what it was with his teams

11. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

after posting this I thought about the Anderlecht and Lyon games at Sellick park. Celtic were fantastic on those occasions. It was good football.

There is certainly more to him that getting lads wound up to run through walls for him. O'Neill had favourites in the same way Trap does. Lennon is going the same way.

The whole experience under O'Neill was exciting. Like you say though, plan b was to try plan A a little harder. I would love him to get the job all the same.

12. anportmorbhoy

anportmorbhoy Well-Known Member

I think he could do a good job for Ireland you know.

Maybe its just sentiment - but the MON years were good looking back. How many times can you lose a title on goals scored and think **** that was a good season?!