1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer window opens tomorrow

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Hoops Eternal, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

This is a really difficult one for Harry and the board. How do they approach this transfer window?
    We obviously aren't nailed on certainties for promotion but we'll be there or there abouts.
    So what does Harry do?
    I've seen a lot of posts suggesting that we should sign Wells from Bradford. Say we sign him on a three year deal and we get promoted, would he be good enough for the Premier league or would he sit in the reserves earning a lot of money and not playing?
    If I were Harry I'd go go for decent loan signings that had an option to buy at the end of the season if we get promoted.

2. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

I would go for jelevic on loan & there are rumours.

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

After a great first half-season he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo last season...

4. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Our sort of player then! Maybe a change would him good.

5. QPRNUTS

QPRNUTS Well-Known Member

There's some on here that think we should only buy young players. Total baloney. Despite playing pretty awful football at times, we are still very much in the mix. Personally, I wouldn't go for a young buck right now who may be unproven or would have the weight of the world on his shoulders to be an instant hit. I'd scour the bigger Prem teams, Spain and Italy and try get a decent proven player (no matter what the wages) on a six month deal until the end of the season. At this vital stage i'd take experience over youth. BTW, not crouch but a big yes to Adel.

6. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

Go for young players who can play in both divisions, better that than "proven" players like swp, zamora, Johnson, young and of course Carlton Cole.

Think about the future for once rather than have blinkers for the next six months, look where thats got us.

7. QPRNUTS

QPRNUTS Well-Known Member

Now is not the time for another Troy Hewitt. The vast majority of clubs don't and won't sell in January. I don't want our club paying an exorbitant fee (which is what it will take) for an untested player. Unfortunately I believe the likes of Rhodes would be too expensive for us

8. Hoops Eternal

That's my point, players like Rhodes are unproven in the PL, so why take the gamble?

9. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

The whole of saints squad were unproven, three of them made it into the england team after they went up.

Whereas zamora, swp and AJ were proven.

More players like Austin, less like Cole, crouch and AJ those above.

Tell me honestly, would you prefer Johnson or zamora over Austin in the PL or do you trust your ability to judge players?

10. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Steve McClaren is going with youngsters.

Patrick Bamford: Chelsea striker set for Derby County loan move

Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford is expected to join Championship side Derby County on loan until the end of the season when the transfer window re-opens, BBC Radio Derby reports.
    The 20-year-old scored 16 goals in 28 games while on loan at MK Dons and the League One side were eager to keep him.

please log in to view this image

"We've gone for younger players from the top teams and we want that quality so we are looking for youngsters again, to add to the squad and improve the quality that we have got."
    Steve McClaren
    Derby manager

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25560530

11. Hoops Eternal

So you have to gamble is that what you're saying? You could get a Lallana or a Hulse, which is precisely the dilemma.
    I would take an Austin over over a Crouch, Cole or AJ anyday

12. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

I only want to see one addition, a striker. Plenty of talent otherwise. Up to Harry to get them playing in the right way.

13. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

Exactly, you've used your own judgement to determine he would be better even though he hasn't played a minute in the PL.

Same goes for us that wanted hooper 1-2 years ago and also wanted rhodes and to think Rhodes would have been cheaper than zamora and that doesn't even include any sell on value.

Its not a blind gamble, its using your judgement which is why I hate some signings before they've played a minute for us. SWP, zamora, henry, AJ among others. You can't really say they've been a success.

In fact, I think wed have a better success rate going for unproven youngsters than oaps.

14. MIAMI_FOX

MIAMI_FOX Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Another prima doña Will you lot never learn!

15. Hoops Eternal

Flyer, we all knew that Austin would run his socks off for us this season. But going forward who do we bring in not knowing which league we'll be in come August?

16. Ciarrai_Abu

A loan signing would make sense.

17. superHusky1

superHusky1 Active Member

I agree with Flyer: we need hungry players who are still aiming to achieve something in their careers, not players looking for one last cushy, well-paid assignment. This doesn't mean signing a bunch of 19 year olds, but rather searching a little more widely for talent whether that by in the Football League or elsewhere in Europe etc.

HR has brought in both experience and youth (AJ, Zamora and so forth were not his signings and I think we need to remember that) but any signings now should be bought with the long-term in mind; that is, they will still be viewed as a worthwhile signing even if we fail to get promotion.

Above all else, really, I would love to see some of our own youngsters brought into the match day squad and integrated with the more experienced players: apparently we've got the Canadian young player of the year on our books - I don't know what he's done to deserve this accolade but it might be worthwhile giving him a couple of opportunities.

18. Ciarrai_Abu

Either we have a very poor youth development set-up or we have an overly conservative manager that won't give them a chance. This league is full of very average teams including Forest who we should never have been beaten by. We shouldn't be scared of giving our youngsters a chance.

19. superHusky1

superHusky1 Active Member

It's probably the latter; although I think this reluctance is partly due to the task set for HR by Fernandes.

Sorry, but I can't get my head around the idea that we should never be beaten by the likes of Forest: that's a completely unrealistic attitude.

20. Ciarrai_Abu

Forest looked decidedly average that night. With the quality we have, we should not have been beaten.