1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Town vs 'Gun-der-21s'

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Sep 8, 2020.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

It's a real shame for me that this tournament was devalued by including the Prem U21+ sides.

IMHO we should be using this competition to give squad players and youngsters game time the same way that Arsenal will be.

The result? Couldn't care less and will be watching the England game but it would be fantastic if we rotate the players AND play something like we did at the weekend.

Will anyone be forking out ten of their hard-earned pounds to see this?

COYB

2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Lets face it, these games are merely glorified friendlies, with the added bonus of potentially playing a game at wembley at the end. I know PL says he won't do as much rotation this season, but seems ludicrous to play anywhere near a full strength team tonight.
    Give the kids and a few of the fringe players a run out to clear some of the cobwebs.
    I'd expect the likes of Hawkins, Huws, Ndaba, Lanky, Kenlock to start.

In saying all that, i would never pay £10 to stream a friendly against some kids, but i will be hoping for a decent performance, with another win under our belts

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I won't be watching this one - I'll probably have the Zverev vs Coric US Open quarter final on and also an eye on the England game. I'll keep updated on the score but, like you, this should be an opportunity to get the squad players a run out. And hopefully a chance for some of our academy boys to go toe-to-toe against some of the country's best youth prospects.

4. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Slightly different opinion from me. As minor competition as it is it's still a realistic opportunity to get silverware. Provided we take it seriously.

If we'd had things to smile about over last few years then it would be bottom priority but as it is we can use this competition to get some positive headlines and continue to build positive momentum. So I'd expect only very limited rotation, with the aim of ensuring we don't lose a competitive game against a youth side.

5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

The club has obviously lost money due to Covid so we really should try to go as far as we can in each cup competition in order to bring in revenue. The league season hasn't started yet so I want to see a strong line up today. The team need every opportunity to gel together and this is a great chance for a positive result, ready for the league start.

I'll be watching on the iFollow stream, I paid $180 for the season pass again. I think it's good that there is a stream available in England, even if it is 10 quid, we need all the revenue we can get. People say we need to buy players to get out of the league but then won't dip into their pockets to put revenue into the club, it doesn't make sense.

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nice, just saw the line up, pretty much the first team, exactly what I was hoping for.

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ipswich!

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Drinan hits the post!

We're playing well.

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Get in!!!

Nolan scores!

I'm liking this new look Ipswich style. Quick passing and Dozzell is playing some beautiful passes, is this going to be his breakout season because he has looked good against this opposition? He'll just need to do it against the rough and tumble of league football.

10. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Oh dear, Arsenal score.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Glad to see we’re winning. But a mistake not to rotate. We need to bed in squad players and we will pay in injuries if we play the first team in all competitions.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Oops

13. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Decent first half.

Quick passing and some good passages of play from us against a young Arsenal side who, whilst technically sound, haven't really been too adventurous in their forward play. Lambert is clearly coaching a one and two touch style of football but it just needs to be a bit quicker at times.

If we can keep this team together for a couple of years we'll have a good side. Ndaba looks solid next to Woolfenden and they know each so well I think they would make a good CB pair. Dozzell has made all the passes from midfield, although he is hardly under strong pressure from the opponents. He sits a bit deeper, with Nolan and Bishop doing most of the running in front but so far he has always been available to receive the ball and it looks like the team have been drilled to use him as a fulcrum for recycling the ball from the centre circle area.
    Drinan leads the line well and in my opinion is seeing so many minutes because Jackson and Norwood are probably on the way out. Kenlock is still a weak link, I don't know what it is when I watch him but he just looks like a lad who doesn't really want to be a footballer, it's difficult to explain.

14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Only Arsenal have came out for the second half.

1-2 down now

15. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Norwood on for Drinan

16. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

A long hard season ahead I'm afraid. Can't help but think we are a mid table side at best!!

17. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Are you watching it, Spanish?

18. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

In this current climate SD....I can think of better things to spend my money on!!
    The side ain't that different from last season and on that basis...I fear the worse. Add to that, the fact we may lose Downes and maybe both strikers, I can't see anything other than a struggle

19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nolan misses a great chance, very poor.

20. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

It's been a very poor second half, it looks like nothing has changed from last season. The first half was good from us but against a very timid Arsenal side.