1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Town v Charlton

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Apr 29, 2022.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

A long time to go without football… so let’s make it an enjoyable game, have a bit of a party, and finish with a win…

6-0 Town.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What a corking set of 12:30 fixtures… Liverpool going for the title, the League One deciders and Town vs Charlton… going to have to be a multi screen session! What a corker Plymouth v MK Dons promises to be.

3. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

An unbelievable last day of season round of matches,as Hampy says. In L1 alone everyone depends on results elsewhere to win promotion, make the Top 6 or get relegated. Shame we arent part of the excitement down to the wire, but we have much to look forward to and what an amazing crowd once again at PR.

Believe in Ipswich!

3-0 splendid game to send fans away happy.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Wow. Pompey ahead already. Anything could happen...

5. Southcoastoldgaffer

Bakinson scores a cracker! 1-0, here we go!

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

As it stands there's an 11 point gap in the middle of the table. Don't recall ever seeing that. COYB.

7. Southcoastoldgaffer

Oh my goodness, Burnsy scores a beauty, what an afternoon, a treat to Townies!

2-0

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Plymouth miss a couple of sitters and find themselves outside the zone, MK Dons into auto places. Come on Plymouth…

9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Celina on fire today! Hope we keep him!

Nuggets likes this.
  10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Chappers playing another good game. He has to start every time.

Nuggets likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Gutted for Plymouth. Looks all over for them unless Wycombe get beaten. 3-0 down at half time and down to ten men.

12. Southcoastoldgaffer

Poor old Plymouth, always liked them as a club.

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I’m pretty sure we will sign Bakinson. Would be very surprised if that doesn’t happen.

Nuggets and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  14. Southcoastoldgaffer

Morsy misses a sitter!I am enjoying this, what a performance to finish the season. 3 goals, when did we last do that?

I am sure all the lads are loving being at PR today!

15. Southcoastoldgaffer

And Nors scores on his final game! You couldnt write the script!

16. Southcoastoldgaffer

So ends another season, on a wonderful note, well played the lads, and farewell Nors.

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This is the moment we’ve been waiting for for a while… the season is done and after a well earned break the real business can begin.

18. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Enjoyable game, brilliant performance to close the season, and good atmosphere - despite not playing for anything but pride! Definitely had all the hallmarks of McKenna’s early matches. A really well-oiled team performance and if you haven’t seen Bakinson’s opener, check it out!

The concern is that we performed so well with the pressure off, when we need to be getting consistent results in high-pressure, meaningful matches - which we’ve typically bottled over the last several years. My hope is that the run of draws only really came about when the teams above us were consistently winning and pulling further away. I’m hopeful for the next season, but we need another summer of positive recruitment, but only in two or three positions. Quality over quantity should be the focus, after the upheaval last summer.

We’ve got good players here, we’ve got an ownership actually willing to invest across all areas of the club, and we’ve got a manager who - despite learning on the job - speaks well and seems to be a much better coach than the last three we’ve put up with!

Back to the beers for me today - but hopefully we enjoy the summer and can look forward to some more exciting transfer business. Offloading the consistently inconsistent Norwood and the poor Carroll are two good early decisions. Keeping hold of the consistent players may be a challenge for some lads (Edmondson, Morsy, Burns etc and the loanees like Bakinson and Celina), so hopefully we can mitigate any key losses.

Up the Town!

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

To be fair to McKenna and the players I think if we'd had more of a chance then we'd have got a few more results over the last couple of months. Very difficult to keep the momentum going playing catch up when the other sides keep picking up results and you're not gaining much ground.

20. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

A very pleasing result to end the season with. It once again ignites that spark of hope that tells us we're all set for next year to be the year we finally acheive something positive at the end of the season.

It's another season where I have been unable to watch or see many games so I'm not in a great position to analyse on-pitch needs for the summer. From a distance the season has been a frustrating one. We've dealt out far more beatings than I remember an Ipswich side managing in recent years yet also been through our annual National TV embarrassments. At times we were making pundits sit up and take notice with our long runs of positive form but forever found a 9th place ceiling. I think we've been every version of Ipswich this season but ended where we are so used to finishing - just below the also-rans. It makes me wonder if we truly are cursed to never have something to celebrate. Yet, all the noises from the club and the reports I read on here give me confidence that the foundations we're building our hopes on are much more stable than any summers from the ME Era or last summer - where we knew it was going to be one of upheaval.

On the face of it, releasing Norwood seems a strange one, it feels like he's been our most prolific striker per minutes on pitch since McKenna brought him back into the fold - but hopefully suggests we are working to a plan this summer and we have some targets lined up in key areas.

Planned Evolution - as opposed to revolution or signing a bunch of players at Random - is what we have been crying out for since 2009, maybe we'll finally have it this summer.

I'm sure ill keep reading the forum over the break and possibly contribute thoughts on any transfer news, but to anyone taking a summer break enjoy, and we'll speak when 22-23 kicks off.