1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Town announce new treatment room extension

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Aug 20, 2019.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Lets hope we can get at least 20 games out of him. If fit, will be a decent addition, but that it is the $64,000 question.

I'm sure we're due some luck on the injury front, but this is a big gamble, as i'm sure he hasn't come cheap.

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

A surprising move, this. I was expecting another stop-gap loan signing to come in, so to have someone that: a) is a permanent signing; b) has experience of Lambert's approach to coaching; c) bagged a few goals last season in a struggling team; and d) addresses a problem in the squad are all welcome positives. If we are going to persist with direct football, or we want to be able to play that style when it suits us, then Keane looks like a good option to have in the squad.

Having said that, his injuries and fitness record throughout his career is a massive red flag. The fact he was crocked playing for us last season is also not encouraging. He'll require a few games to get up to speed, so possibly he'll start off in the reserves. The move also surprises me because I thought his wage demands would price us out. At the start of the summer, this was most likely the case. But three months on, and with no credible interest from a Championship club, it appears like this is a convenient move for both parties.

I would caution against expecting double figure goals from Keane - the highest he has managed in a season is three (both last season with us and back in 2014/14). Maybe the drop down to League One will benefit him, but I'd still field a team with the emphasis on Norwood being our main striker.

4. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

I would have bust a gut to sign Murphs but there you go we've settled for a croc!

fieldmarshall likes this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

If he stays fit it’s a great signing. But it’s a really big if. I bet he can’t believe his luck, getting another year of wages to sit on the treatment table.

itfcptc likes this.
  6. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Have Hull released him ?

7. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Must be some sort of pay as you play deal. If we can get 30 odd games out of him, it’s a great signing at this level but it’s a really big if.lets hope he can stay fit

8. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Hmm...cheap option because of his fitness issues no doubt.