1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 25, 2020.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Sunday 27th September 2pm
    Premier League
    Tottenham Hotspur Stadium​

Another uncomfortable European tie navigated and we're back to the league, again.
    We rested some players, but there may still be some weary legs in the squad from the experience.
    It's a packed weak and the schedule is currently Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday, then internationals.
    Newcastle will be looking to make last week's loss to Brighton a blip, as they've won the rest of their games.
    Can Mourinho get the team to go on a run or will Bruce nick the points?

Newcastle had a fairly disappointing, if stable, first campaign under Steve Bruce last season.
    He matched Rafa Benitez' 13th place finish and comfortably avoided relegation, but that was about it.
    Uninspiring cup runs and a winless 7 game run to end things off probably left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth.
    Their big summer signing Joelinton did not look like a £40m Brazilian striker for most of the time, either.
    Bruce needs a more impressive and memorable one this time out, despite being a local.

The Geordies have had a more lowkey approach to signings this summer, but they all look sensible.
    Jeff Hendrick, Ryan Fraser, Callum Wilson and Jamal Lewis have all spent time in this division.
    Picking them up for £35m looks like decent, steady business. They didn't lose any big names, either.
    Winning the opening match at West Ham was a good start, though losing at home to Brighton's a setback.
    A narrow cup win over Blackburn was followed by a record rout of Morecambe this midweek.

Our game against them at our place last time was another one of those controversial Pochettino matches.
    We dominated possession, territory and chances, but rarely tested Dubravka.
    An early Son penalty claim was waved away before sloppy defending allowed Joelinton to give them the lead.
    Son tested the keeper before the break and Moura missed an open goal, but that was about it.
    The second half saw a laughable VAR decision and Moura miss another sitter, as it remained 1-0:

The trip to St James' Park after the lockdown break was more productive.
    We took the lead fairly early on, as Son beat the keeper at his near post, despite the presence of two defenders.
    The low block was then introduced, as we played on the counter and let them back into it.
    Ritchie levelled it up just before the hour, but the parity barely lasted a few minutes before Kane headed home.
    A late counter saw Lamela test Dubravka and he could only palm it to Kane to make it 3-1:

Bale and Tanganga are out again for this one. Reguilon faces a late test.
    Schar, Dubravka, Longstaff, Dummett, Clark and Gayle are out for the visitors.
    Saint-Maximin and Lewis are being assessed, but should be available.
    Neither side has any suspensions.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Davies; Ndombele, Winks, Hojbjerg; Moura, Kane, Son.
    Subs: Hart, Aurier, Alderweireld, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lamela, Bergwijn.

Newcastle: Darlow; Manquillo, Lascelles, Fernandez, Lewis; Hendrick, Shelvey, Hayden, Saint-Maximin; Carroll, Wilson.
    Subs: Gillespie, Krafth, Clark, Ritchie, Almiron, Fraser, Joelinton.

Ref: Peter Bankes. Normally a Championship ref. Mike Dean's 4th official. VAR: Lee Mason.

TV: Sky Sports.

How would you like to line up for this one and what would you change from the Shkendija game?
    Would you stick with much of the same lineup, make a few changes or go for a wholesale switch?
    Which system and tactics would you use and what are you expecting Newcastle to go with?

Spurf, Roo and Tilly'sowner like this.
  2. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Post-Shkendija press conference.

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

IMHO we have to treat the next 4 fixtures as 3 must-win PL games,
    and one EL tie where Jose should be expected to "wing it" somewhat
    (at least the tie is at home) .

So the strongest possible starting XI, and hopefully Jose will read the riot
    act to ensure that team get the game done and dusted by 60 mins
    (so some decent sub time/rest can be gained before the Chelsky game) .

4. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Interesting. Sounds like we won’t see Tanguy start at the weekend and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a weaker team on Tuesday than we’ve seen in the EL games so far. The likes of Cirkin and White should feature.

As long as one of GLC and Tanguy can start each game then we have something in midfield. Fitness and schedule allowing we can get both of them on together for the last 30 mins or so if each game. The ideal midfield for us out of the squad right now is Tanguy - PEH - GLC but practically speaking we won’t see all three starting together for some time yet I feel. It also sounds like Regulion won’t be quite ready to start at the weekend, but maybe midweek.

Against Newcastle:

Lloris
    Doherty Sanchez Toby Davies
    Sissoko PEH GLC
    Lucas Kane Son

I genuinely think we’ll just bin off the League Cup, the schedule is mad and it’s the 4th most important trophy tbh. If the schedule wasn’t this crazy I’d say have a proper go but the EL is a very important competition for us this year and I think Jose knows that.

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

obviously I secretly dream of winning the league however I want the Europa league this year more than the two domestic trophies.

i don’t want to break our 12 year barren spell with a League cup...it doesn’t feel like it’s a game changer...winning another major Euro trophy on the other hand..

6. The Huddlefro

I still think the FA Cup is a big deal, and of course I’d take the League Cup if you offered it to me. But given the schedule we’re forced to make a choice between League Cup and EL and I think the EL is a bigger deal especially as it’s another route to the CL in what will be an extremely competitive race for top 4 this season.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Surely we just play that same team again against Maccabi Haifa and stick whatever's left in the Chelsea game, then?

Gazzaniga; Aurier, Dier, Foyth, Reguilon; Bergwijn, Winks, Fernandes, Sessegnon; Lamela, Alli or something?
    Hart, Carter-Vickers, Clarke, White, Marsh, Devine, Scarlett, Georgiou, etc. on the bench.

8. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Lloris
    Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Davies
    PEH, Sissoko
    Lucas, Bergwijn, Dele
    Kane

9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

10. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I disagree.

As I said elsewhere the positives of this fixture melee is that it gives the
    entire squad the opportunity to get match time into their legs that other
    PL squads do not have. This is not week 2 of december or mid january.

I expect Jose to use it wisely, navigate thru it, and then be ready with his
    preferred PL starting XI to push on after the internationals break.

11. The Huddlefro

Maybe I mis-wrote slightly. I still think we can put out a strong-ish team in the LC. I’m not saying we should throw in the towel and play the 23s.

Gazza
    Aurier Foyth Dier Regulion
    Gedson Winks Tanguy
    Lamela Alli Bergwijn

That’s hardly a team of kids. Main worry is the CB pairing and no real striker but that’s the case regardless. We can also take a strong bench because travel is minimal as well as sprinkle in the likes of White and Cirkin if we feel necessary.

However I expect Chelsea will go close to full strength for this, which we can’t do, and that was the basis for my original comment.

12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

That's odd, I only see 17 names on the list...

13. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

It's a disaster.
    And Winks played in almost all of them, with Sissoko alongside him in most. I'm looking forward to the improvement.....

14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Oooooooo...get you bitch <laugh>

PowerSpurs likes this.
  15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Newcastle are such an annoying team for us to face. Many times over the years they’ve snatch and grabbed wins at WHL, definitely fair to say they’re on that bogey list for us.

Although I missed the Shkendija match it sounded like Aurier had a good game so I’m more than happy for him to keep his spot for this, always think players who play well should be rewarded. Ndombele was supposedly MOTM too, be interesting to see if he starts again after playing the full 90. Sounded like Son was dead at the end and he hasn’t really had any sort of rest yet so wouldn’t be surprised if he starts from the bench.

I’m hoping to see something like:

Hugo
    Aurier, Sanchez, Davies, Reguilon
    Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Ndombele
    Lucas, Kane, Bergwijn

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Wasn't really tested at the back, but he put in some very good crosses that went to waste.

Dier Hard likes this.
  18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

19. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

No Dele in squad

20. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member