1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United Match History 1905 to 2015

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Dec 14, 2014.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Tottenham Hotspur host Newcastle United at White Hart Lane on Wednesday 17th December 2014 (KO 19:45) in the 5th Round of the 2014-15 Football League (Capital One) Cup.

Tottenham beat Brighton and Hove Albion 2-0 at home in the fourth round while Newcastle United had an impressive 2-0 win at Manchester City. This will be the 154th time the two clubs have met.

The first meeting came in the old second round (today's fourth round) of the FA Cup in February 1905 with Newcastle drawing 1-1 at White Hart Lane before winning the replay at St James' Park 4-0. To date, the clubs have met 9 times in the FA Cup.

The clubs met for the first time in the Football League in November 1909 in the First Division with Newcastle winning 1-0 at St James' Park and completing the 'double' over Spurs with a 4-0 win at White Hart Lane in March 1910.

Tottenham's first win over Newcastle came in a First Division match at White Hart Lane in November 1912 with Jimmy Cantrell scoring the only goal of the match.

There were further meetings in the First Division up to season 1933-34 with honours generally pretty even.

An FA Cup 4th round match in January 1935 was won 2-0 by Spurs at White Hart Lane with George Hunt (Spurs' record goalscorer until Bobby Smith) scoring both goals.

The next 12 meetings between the clubs came in the Second Division of the Football League either side of World War Two from 1935-36 to 1947-48. These dozen matches were the only League games contested between Spurs and Newcastle outside the Top Flight of English Football.

The 1950-51 season saw Spurs win their first Football League Championship and in the process they did the 'double' over Newcastle winning 7-0 at home and 1-0 away. The 70,336 spectators at White Hart Lane for that emphatic 7-0 win were the largest crowd at any Spurs v Newcastle fixture in history.

Spurs beat Newcastle United in the 1952 Charity Shield 2-1 at White Hart Lane with Les Bennett and Peter 'Spud' Murphy scoring the goals which won the silverware.

The first Football League Cup meeting came in the Semi-Finals in January 1976 with John Pratt scoring the winning goal at White Hart Lane in the first leg but Newcastle winning 3-1 at St James' Park despite a Don McAllister goal to advance to the Wembley Final.

Newcastle United, along with West Ham United, were the first clubs to be promoted to the Premier League for the 1993-94 season and Spurs won the first match against Newcastle in the competition 1-0 away at St James' Park with a Teddy Sheringham goal. The Magpies had their revenge at White Hart Lane in December with a 2-1 win.

An FA Cup Semi-Final at Old Trafford in April 1999 was won 2-0 by Newcastle after extra time. Newcastle lost their Premier League status at the end of the 2008-09 season but won promotion at the first attempt managed by former Spurs player and assistant manager Chris Hughton. Hughton was sacked under contraversial circumstances in December 2010 and Alan Pardew was appointed as Newcastle's new manager.

The fixture at St. James' Park last in October 2011 resulted in a 2-2 draw. Rafael van der Vaart opened the scoring from the penalty spot after 40 minutes. Demba Ba pulled Newcastle level three minutes into the second half but Jermain Defoe's 68th minute goal looked like securing all three points. Substitute Shola Ameobi scored a late equaliser for Newcastle. The reverse fixture at White Hart Lane in February 2012 resulted in a comprehensive 5-0 win for Spurs with goals from Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Louis Saha (2), Niko Kranjcar and Emmanuel Adebayor.

The opening match of the 2012-13 season at St James' Park resulted in a 2-1 win for Newcastle. Demba Ba put United ahead after 54 minutes with Jermain Defoe equalising for Spurs after 76 minutes. Ben Arfa was fouled by Aaron Lennon and he scored from the penalty spot for the winner on 80 minutes.

Spurs won their home League game in February 2013 2-1 with two goals from Gareth Bale, the first coming after 5 minutes from a free-kick and the second after 78 minutes. Yoan Gouffran had levelled things for Newcastle mid-way through the first half.

Newcastle United won the Premier League game in November 2013 at White Hart Lane 1-0 with Loic Remy's 13th minute goal proving to be the match winner. Tim Krul made a string of outstanding saves to keep Tottenham from scoring. An Emmanuel Adebayor goal in the 19th minute saw Spurs go into halftime 1-0 up in the February 2014 game at St James' Park. Further goals from Paulinho, Adebayor and Nacer Chadli completed a comprehensive 4-0 win for Spurs.

Emmanuel Adebayor put Spurs ahead after 18 minutes at White Hart Lane in October 2014 but second-half goals from Sammy Ameobi and Ayoze Perez ensured that the visitors returned to Newcastle with all three points.

Tottenham Hotspur have won 64 of the 153 matches played so far with Newcastle United winning 57 and the remaining 32 games drawn. Newcastle are due to host Tottenham in the Premier League on 18th April 2015.

Full History of Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United Matches 1905-2014

They Played for Spurs & Newcastle....

Ossie Ardiles (Spurs player & manager, Newcastle manager)
    Sebastien Bassong
    Ted Birnie
    Kevin Bond (Assistant manager at both clubs)
    Garry Brady
    Ivor Broadis
    Keith Burkinshaw (Spurs manager, Newcastle coach)
    Sol Campbell
    Stephen Carr

Jesse Carver (Newcastle player, Spurs coach)
    Ray Clarke
    Les Ferdinand
    John Fleming
    Ruel Fox
    Tony Galvin (Spurs player, Newcastle asst. manager)
    Peter Garland
    Paul Gascoigne
    David Ginola

Bert Gosnell
    Chris Hughton (Spurs player & asst. manager, Newcastle manager)
    Jim Iley
    Jermaine Jenas
    John McTavish
    Peter McWilliam (Newcastle player, Spurs manager)
    Paul Moran
    Taffy O'Callaghan
    Alan Pardew (Spurs loanee, Newcastle manager)
    Scott Parker
    Louis Saha
    Kevin Scott
    Wayne Routledge
    Mark Stimpson

Allan Taylor
    Archie Turner
    Chris Waddle
    Jonathan Woodgate

Charlie Woods (Chief scout with both clubs)

2. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

One goal win to us.

3. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Fair Play to THFC6061 - you do magnificent Match Threads :emoticon-0150-hands

4. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Pity Newcastle couldn't have beaten Arsenal.They would have come to the Lane perhaps a little overconfident,which may have given us a leg up.But after the Arsenal shelaking,the manager's going to be all over them during the week.
    So they will be looking for blood.......hope it's not ours!

5. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Or the bubble has burst and they are on a downward slide. Looked very poor on Saturday.

6. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Graham Carr's Binoculars Well-Known Member

To be fair we looked no worse than you guys did yesterday, only difference was we were playing against a much better standard of team.

Sissoko back will be a big boost as we missed him massively against Arsenal. Also Steven Taylor is back meaning the liability that is Mike Williamson shouldn't be playing. I think you'll probably nick this by the odd goal as we have too many injuries to contend with at the moment, we also have Sunderland at the weekend and Pardew can't afford to lose four in a row to them so we might even field a weakened team.

You guys likely to rest players or no?

7. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Probably rest a few, despite being a qtr final. A lot of our players are looking tired, so Mason, Lamela, Walker will probably give way to Lennon, Dembele and Naughton. Still a decent team. I take hope from our league game. We battered you first half and didn't deserve to lose. You're right, will be very close.

8. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Draw would have been fair in the league game, you had all the ball first half but other than the goal and a big miss from Chadli (I think it was him) I don't think Krul had anything to do. Second half we played on the break and limited your chances.

We'll set up exactly the same, we'll sit deep and play on the counter which is what we tried to do against Arsenal but with no Aarons, Sissoko or Obertan we just didn't have the pace to do this. I'm hoping the extra day rest for us and you playing Thursday, Sunday and Wednesday may just swing things in our favour.

But we have a kid in goal and our current injuries stand at Krul, Elliott, Santon, Janmaat (suspended), Ryan Taylor, Obertan, De Jong, Abeid, Obertan and Aarons. Of those Krul, Janmaat, Santon, De Jong, Abeid and Aarons would make our first 11 more often than not. I'm hoping Pardew makes the Quarter Final as his priority but doubt he will given that our club openly states we have no interest in the cups as it's too detrimental to league form <laugh>

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd expect a number of changes from yesterday's game, not only to freshen things up, but also because a number of players didn't perform and their replacements did.
    I'm hoping that Jak Alnwick continues his family tradition of conceding a **** load of goals in games that involve Spurs, too! <laugh>

I'd keep the defence as close to unchanged as we can, maybe resting Walker after his long injury absence, but I'd be tempted to switch a lot of the others.
    Perhaps Eriksen in behind Kane, Stambouli and Dembele in the middle and Townsend and Chadli out wide?
    No idea what Pochettino will do, though it will almost certainly involve inverted wingers.

10. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Surely we can`t lose twice at home to a mid table club in the same season, mind you it happened last season with the Spanners, losing in the league and again in the cup.

I would like a change of approach and 442....

Lloris/Vorm
    Naughton
    Vlad
    Kaboul
    Rose
    Townsend
    Stambouli
    Dembele
    Lennon
    Chadli or Lamela as second striker or no.10
    Soldado

11. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I was asking myself the same question. Resting the ones who look like they need it is probably the answer. But I think we need to start 2/3 of Eriksen, Chadli and Kane or I don't see where the goals are coming from. I'd like to see Lamela in the middle for a change, just to see what happens.

Lloris/Vorm
    Naughton
    Vlad/Dier
    Kaboul
    Rose
    Stambouli
    Dembele
    Lennon
    Lamela
    Chadli
    Kane

I didn't see your game against Arsenal, so I can't say we were better. I might point out we drew at the Library, though.

It should be a good game. The truth is I'd rather it be away, where we've done much better than at WHL. Then again, we've done fine in cup games at home, now that I think about it.

12. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Not sure what we should do with this game. Sometimes when you're not in great form a good cup win can do the World of good and other times it's just a waste of energy. It's either a first choice side or rest everyone, for me, anything in between seems a bit pointless. I'm leaning towards resting everyone at the moment so I'd like to see:

Vorm
    Chiriches, Kaboul, Dier, Rose
    Paulinho, Stambouli, Dembele
    Lennon, Chadli, Townsend

I'm not going so who cares? <whistle>

13. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Bit patronising, we're only a point behind you.

Pardew has come out and said he'll play the strongest side available to him which is pleasing, just not sure how strong that team will be given the number of players missing. Heart says we'll win 1-0, head says a 3-1 defeat.

14. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Considering its a cup quarter final, against a team who have already beaten us at home this season, I'd expect us to be reasonably strong. I'd go with

Vorm
    Naughton Dier Vertonghen Rose
    Bentaleb Stambouli
    Lennon Dembele Lamela
    Soldado

My thinking is that Walker is only just back from injury and we don't want him overdoing it unless we're sure he can manage the workload ager a long layoff. Mason has looked knackered recently so a week off might be good for him. Rose seems to be getting cup games so I'd continue the trend to keep him ticking over, and Dier needs games too (and besides I think he's going to be a class act at CB). I'd have the likes of Kane, Eriksen, Mason and Chadli ready to come off the bench if we need to push for goals, and I'd like to see Onomah in the squad too if there is space for him, as it'd be a fantastic experience for the young guy to play in a Senior cup quarter final at some point.

The worry in that lineup for me is where the goals are going to come from without Eriksen, Kane and Chadli there - I think its solid enough at the back. If Ade is thought to be ready I'd be tempted to give him a go, but only if he can be hauled off at the slightest hint of laziness or the wrong attitude.

15. No Kane No Gain

Our fans tend to downplay anything to stay depressed. Better to see you as a midtable club than one that's having a good season, it means there's less to celebrate if we win and more to grumble about if we lose. I don't see your club as a midtable side because you seem to yo-yo between the extremes, challenging for Europe one season and in a relegation battle the next. Regardless, you're doing alright at the moment and so I'll be pleased if we can win but just like you guys(I assume) I'd rather lose this one 5-0 if it means we get a good win on the weekend.

What's the feeling on Pardew these days, has he redeemed himself or are you just waiting for another bad run to call for his head? Personally I can't stand the guy, he's a disrespectful t**t with no self-control, if he was at Spurs I'd want him out even if he was getting some good results.

16. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I'm going tomorrow for my first game in ages. Hope it's a good one as it will be my son's first ever visit. Suspect the support will be better for a home cup match than a home league match - I will certainly be joining in!

17. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

"he's a disrespectful twat with no self-control"

I completely agree.

18. Graham Carr's Binoculars

It's the opposite for us to be fair, we've been so starved of success that most would rather win on Wednesday than beat Sunderland this weekend. My priority is the cup game as well if I'm honest.

As for Pardew, some (myself included) will never warm to him. In fact the only way in which he could possbily redeem himself would be if he won us a cup. He's turned it around this year and we're now doing relatively well, his style of football is not good for the neutral though and his game plan revolves around sitting deep and countering with Sissoko, Ameobi, Perez and Aarons (when fit). If one or two of those players are missing then there is no Plan B as shown by the Arsenal & Burnley games.

Majority of fans still want him gone but accept that he's going nowhere and while the team are performing well (results wise) it's not right to call for his head.

19. No Kane No Gain

Really? I had a little browse of your board yesterday and got the impression most would rather beat Sunderland, especially considering the recent run of results against them. I get what you're saying about preferring to compete for a trophy though.

20. Graham Carr's Binoculars

On our board I think a cup victory edges it, the local media have completed a poll too and I think 66% voted in favour of a cup win.

Losing four in a row to Sunderland is unthinkable, having said that i've seen us beat them plenty more times than I've seen them turn us over. I'll see us beat them again in the future, not sure I'll ever see us lift a trophy though so hoping for a victory tomorrow.