1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 2, 2019.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Wednesday 4th December 7.30pm
    Premier League
    Old Trafford​

3 games and 3 wins for Mourinho, but this is his first big test, as he returns to one of his former clubs.
    Solskjaer's under a bit of pressure following their recent form, so it's a massive game for everyone involved.
    Amazon have chosen this as their first game to stream on Prime and they'll be very happy with that choice.
    It'll be a media frenzy if anyone loses, so we may see a slightly cagier game than usual.
    Can Mourinho continue his winning start or will his old team come back to haunt him?

Man Utd had a very mixed start to their last campaign which saw our current manager sacked.
    Lying in 6th place after 17 games, losing 3-1 to Liverpool at Anfield was the final straw.
    One win in six and defeats to both of their biggest rivals was too much to take and they pulled the trigger.
    Ex-Utd player Ole Gunnar Solskjaer replaced him the following day in a caretaker role.
    He excelled for the next few months, as the went 12 league games without defeat, winning 10 of them.

Defeat in March to Wolves in the FA Cup and Arsenal in the league didn't dampen the plaudits.
    The caretaker was given the job fulltime on a three-year contract to much acclaim.
    This is where things seemed to go badly wrong, as they finished the season in awful form.
    Wins over Watford and West Ham were the exception in the remaining eight league games.
    Four losses and two draws, as well as Champions League exit to Barcelona ended the campaign on a low.

This season hasn't started well for them either, as they've won four, drawn six and lost four.
    Their cup form has been better, as they've progressed in the Europa and beaten Chelsea in the League Cup.
    The next few games could decide the manager's future though, as it's a similar time to Mourinho's end.
    Wins over us, City and Everton would be a big plus. Losses might see Solskjaer replaced.

Our trip to Old Trafford was one of the more memorable performances of the last campaign.
    A poor first half saw us playing on the back foot and creating little, apart from a blatant penalty that wasn't given.
    The game changed completely after the break though, as we quickly punished the home side twice.
    Kane headed home from a corner and Moura made it 2-0 on the break shortly after that.
    The Brazilian added a third at the death to seal it, as Utd rarely looked like getting back into it:

The reverse fixture at Wembley was probably more one-sided, but we somehow managed to lose it.
    Rashford gave the visitors the lead on the break in the first half after some sloppy finishing from both sides.
    As the game wore on we began to create more and more, but were even more wasteful.
    Chance after chance was spurned, as simple finishes were missed and De Gea made some excellent saves.
    He ended up as the MOTM and Utd took the points, as it finished 1-0:

No official injury news yet, but Lloris, Vorm, Lamela and Davies will miss out, again.
    Bailly, Fosu-Mensah, Dalot, Rojo, Pogba and Matic are out for Utd, while McTominay faces a late test.
    Neither side has any suspensions.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Gazzaniga; Aurier, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Vertonghen; Ndombele, Dier; Sissoko, Alli, Son; Kane.
    Subs: Whiteman, Walker-Peters, Rose, Winks, Lo Celso, Eriksen, Moura.
    League form: DLDDWW.

Man Utd: De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Williams; Pereira, Fred; James, Mata, Rashford; Martial.
    Subs: Grant, Young, Tuanzebe, Shaw, Garner, Lingard, Greenwood.
    League form: DWLWDD.

Ref: Paul Tierney. VAR: Michael Oliver.

TV: Amazon Prime. It's their debut.

How would you like to line up for this one and what would you change from the Bournemouth game?
    Would you stick with the same lineup, make a couple of changes or go for a wholesale switch?
    Which system and tactics would you use and what are you expecting Man Utd to go with?

2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I'm not getting Amazon Prime to watch this ****e.

Hang on, it's free for a month!:emoticon-0135-makeu

Paul Stewart :1980_boogie_down:

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  3. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Wasn't that 0-1 game the one where Pogba got away with a studs up challenge into the thigh? As we all know of course, it depends on which team makes that assault as to what the punishment is, and also at that time ManU were on a run under caretaker boss Solskjaer.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

5. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Pleased to have made my first visit to the new stadium last Saturday. We were great from 20 to 70 minutes and should gave scored more - often one pass too many.

Changes for tomorrow?

Winks for Dier. More mobility and better ball retention. Dier looked about a stone overweight and lumbered about. Someone commented on here about Kane sprinting back to defend later on in the game where Dier just jogged on. So true, Kane does so much more than score goals.

Vertonghen did well until Wilson came on. He looked very tired then. Only to be expected I suppose when he hasn't played much in recent weeks. I would keep him in though.

The remainder as suggested.

Superb stadium although I wouldn't want to be sat at the back of the home end with a prostate problem. Up and down those steps!!!! Best take a 2 litre empty bottle and a long coat.

Lost my bearings coming out of the ground. Took me an hour to walk to Tottenham Hale tube - I was aiming for Severn Sisters. <doh>

Great day though. Looking forward to my next visit. <ok>

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

You're probably better off going to Tottenham Hale, as the queues at Seven Sisters look pretty bad.
    If you're still not sure of where you're going next time, then just head up the high road until just before the police station.
    Take that left and it will lead you down a couple of roads and to Tottenham Hale. It's about a 10-15 minute walk.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Definitely better to go to Tottenham Hale. It's five minutes nearer, the queues are shorter and the trains are empty. Takes at least 25 mins to walk from the stadium though.

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Takes you at least 25 minutes to walk from the stadium! <laugh>

Haven't timed it, to be honest, so I could be wrong. I'll check at some point, if I remember.

10. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Good grief. Rose's not-bothering-to-look backpass at 00.36. Lukaku really should've buried that. Commentator: "Early season rust from Danny Rose". More like 'permanent rot'.

11. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Took me a bloody hour on Saturday. #littleboylost

12. PowerSpurs

I'm quite a fast walker....Google maps has it at 28 mins from where I exit the East stand.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  13. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Team selections have become somewhat more predictable under Maureen than they were in the last few months under Poch. He seems to be a massive fan of Dier - I just hope he can rediscover his form of 2 years ago as currently he looks and plays like a Championship player. We might see 2 or 3 changes from the Bmouth game...

Gazza
    Aurier Dave Jan Rose
    Sissoko Dier NDombele
    Lucas Kane Alli

Subs: Whiteman, Toby, Foyth, Sess, Winks, Lo Celso, Son.

14. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Which Utd will turn up? Which Spurs?
    I think you are likely to dominate midfield, which means our best chances will be on the counter.
    Recent results would suggest that there will be goals in it.
    I pine for the days when this was a certain 3 points.
    Merry Christmas.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

16. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

The lads must want to win this for the Boss

I reckon Dele will want to be the hero...he obviously wants to be the new teacher’s pet...that’s fair enough...another brace should see him reach that dream

Win the midfield tonight and we win

COYS

17. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

And they will want to show they are better off having sacked Jose.

Horrible timing for Spurs in terms of trying to get PL momentum, but it
    is one more away fixture against the top 6 of last season ticked off.

18. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I generally walk about 3 mph pace.
    Google maps for example gives 18 mins as an estimate for a stretch that
    takes me 14-15 mins, and I have walked that stretch for decades.

19. PowerSpurs

That's odd because Google maps seems to assume 3 mph when I use it. It reckons the distance to Tottenham Hale is 1.3 miles and takes 26 mins. I mistyped 28 mins above.

20. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Could you take Eric Dier and Danny Rose out training?

Right now, they can only dream of such pace.