1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 8, 2019.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Tuesday 9th April 8pm
    Champions League Quarter Final
    Tottenham Hotspur Stadium​

Our return home was a triumphant one, but we're following it up with a much tougher test.
    CIty are pushing for a historic quadruple and already have one trophy in the bag and are in another final.
    They're in prime position in the league and will be looking to overcome their troubles in this competition.
    This may be the only place to watch the Champions League in London, but how long can it last?

This is the first of three games in four fixtures against Manchester's blue team.
    Huddersfield break the monotony on Saturday, but this is an opportunity to put down a marker.
    Our form hasn't been great against them in recent seasons and a big performance is needed here.
    I think that most of us wanted virtually anyone else, for various reasons.
    The team need to get something out of this game or the end of the campaign could get messy.

So how should we approach this one? Our normal game hasn't been effective against them.
    A couple of counter-attacking sides have had some success, notably Leicester and Palace.
    Vardy's mob beat them at the King Power in the league and drew in the League Cup, going out on penalties.
    Perhaps recreating our 5-4-1 from the Dortmund away game might be an idea?
    Maybe something more attacking might be appropriate in the new stadium, though?

Aurier, Dier and Lamela are unavailable due to injury.
    City only appear to be missing Zinchenko. Neither side has any suspensions.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies; Sissoko, Alli; Eriksen, Son, Rose; Kane.
    Subs: Gazzaniga, Walker-Peters, Sanchez, Foyth, Wanyama, Winks, Moura.
    League form: LLDLLW.

City: Ederson; Danilo, Stones, Laporte, Zinchenko; De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Foden; Mahrez, Jesus, Sane.
    Subs: Muric, Walker, Kompany, Gundogan, B. Silva, D. Silva, Sterling.
    League form: WWWWWW.

Referee: Björn Kuipers (NED). High profile ref and supermarket owner. 4th official is Scottish, strangely.

TV: BT Sport 2.

How should we line up and what tactics should we use against a team in impressive form?
    Is there anyone that you'd like to see benched that would normally start?
    Any City players that you'd like to see given special consideration?

2. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Gazza
    Trippier (oh god) Toby Jan Rose
    Sissoko Winks Alli
    Moura Kane Son

I’m being bloody minded and continuing the Gazza for GK crusade. Trippier over KWP in this game, just. Alli to try and do a job on Fernandinho to disrupt their midfield, and wingers to push on and punish their FBs, who are their weak link in this game and like to push on, so will leave space.

This is going to be a serious test, new WHL will be rocking and hopefully that inspires the lads to pull this off.

3. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

4. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I like the look of this line up. Plenty of pace to hit them on the counter. I think PNP rightly points out that so far this season all 4 teams who have managed to beat them (Chelsea, Palace, Newcastle and Leicester) did so by playing a set up to contain and stifle.

The other formation that could deliver that could be to drop Kane into the 3 and use Llorente to make it stick up top for others to play off on the counter. Winks also looked miles off the pace against Palace which was a concern so maybe use Alli in a deeper role...

Gazza
    Trippier Toby Jan Rose
    Sissoko Alli
    Kane Eriksen Son
    Llorente

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Eriksen for Winks and I’d agree.

6. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Actually I agree, I was still thinking about transfers and forgot Eriksen still played for us <laugh>

And yes CK, Llorente could be useful for us as well, if not starting then certainly at some point, and quite possibly for the second leg he could start like you describe, for the outball.

remembercolinlee and Dier Hard like this.
  7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

A bunch of tickets went on sale todsy in a block of 20 or 30... in area 521.
    Wondered if they were city returns or if corporate/officisl sellers couldn't shift them cos they wanted too much.
    Me and the teen beast are now going...itll be her first match their...COYS

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Not sure Llorente will be in the squad, given he's coming back from a concussion

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Was there ever a replay of what happened? He came on, got nutted and went back off again, as far as I could see.

10. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Can we bring back Aaron Lennon and Crouchy for this one ???

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Replays of dangerous fouls by Saltypool players? You're more likely to hear pundits call out the countless dodgy calls in their favour...

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  12. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT!!

Dear Supporter,
    There are two important points we need all ticket holders in our South Stand to note ahead of tomorrow night’s UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 1st leg tie with Manchester City:

1. Please take your seat
    Fans are reminded that, as has always been the position in Premier League and UEFA Champions League stadia, standing during matches is against ground regulations.
    The offence is punishable by stadium bans and clubs are at risk of having capacities reduced in certain areas of the stadium if persistent standing is not dealt with.

We therefore ask for your maximum cooperation with our stewards on this extremely important matter. If you are asked to be seated by a steward, please heed this instruction.
    This ensures that everyone can enjoy the matchday without obscured views and in a safe environment.

2. Help us start the match with a clear message of intent

All ticket holders in the South Stand will find a coloured, 100% recyclable plastic bag on their seat upon arrival. By holding the bag up with the plain side facing towards the pitch as the teams enter the field of play, we shall display a motif of our ‘To Dare Is To Do’ motto that will fill the entire South Stand – providing an unforgettable visual impact.
    We kindly ask for your co-operation for a total of
    60 seconds to create an iconic image that will be seen around the world – once again showcasing our new home in all its glory.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

It's up to the fans to give us the 12th Man tonight.

Make it hell for their players. The Dortmund Yellow wall is noisey for 90...that was our inspiration.

I think we can beat them...they won't spring any surprises...they play to their strengths so Poch should know what to expect. Then it's down to how many of the 40 shots at goal we get on target

COYS

Rocky blue army likes this.
  14. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

My first go in the South Stand. I'm going to be turned up to 11.

15. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

I wonder if Danny rose is playing left back or left midfield tonight ....I guess I'll have to Google it <laugh>

16. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Wow, just ruined the entire spectacle for me.

The hacks have already told me that Citeh will win tonight,
    and now you have removed one of the few things I could have
    actually looked forward to.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Thought he was quite menacing playing further upfield against Palace. At least that gives us a threatening option off the bench in Moura.

Rocky blue army likes this.
  18. Rocky blue army

Verts was outstanding playing left wingback the other week I wonder if Poch will do that again

19. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

En route for my first visit. Decided to let the train take the strain. Long walk up from Seven Sisters not an option, I had a vasectomy yesterday. A little swolen today. I think a bus will be necessary. 75 quid ticket, 2 quid booking fee, 41 quid train, fiver Costa Coffee lunch deal, going to be an expensive evening out, COYS.

20. Rocky blue army

That's dedication mate fair play to you hope you and the rest of us have a great night.COYS <cheers>

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019