1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea Match History 1908 to 2014

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Nov 30, 2014.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Chelsea host Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday 3rd December (KO 19:45) in the 14th round of 2014-15 Premier League matches.

Chelsea come into the game in first place on 33 points with Spurs in 7th place on 20 points. This will be the 193rd time the two teams have met each other.

Chelsea are one of the few major English football teams who never played Spurs during the Victorian Era, as they were only founded in 1905 and were admitted into the Second Division of the Football League without ever having played a match before.

This was due to the rivalry that existed at the time between the Football League and the Southern League with the former desperate to make in-roads into the lucrative markets which London and the South-East provided.

The first meeting between Spurs and Chelsea was a friendly played at Stamford Bridge in February 1908 and ended in a 1-1 draw.

The same venue saw the first Football League Division One encounter in December 1909 and Chelsea won that match 2-1.

The return fixture at White Hart Lane was won by Spurs 2-1 and in between those two matches the clubs met in the old second round (today's fourth round) of the FA Cup in a match which Spurs won 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Spurs and Chelsea would meet for another three seasons in the First Division before the outbreak of World War One with honours even at two wins for Spurs, two wins for Chelsea and two drawn matches.

14 games were played during the First World War and these featured many players who 'guested' for both clubs. Five of Tottenham's "home" games were played at Arsenal's Highbury Stadium.

Spurs and Chelsea had finished in the bottom two places in the last season of the First Division when war broke out and when football resumed in 1919, the Division was expanded from 20 to 22 teams.

Arsenal engineered a 'promotion' to the First Division at Spurs' expense but Tottenham easilly won the Division Two Championship and the next season had two emphatic wins over Chelsea 5-0 at home and 4-0 at the Bridge.

The teams would meet for another five seasons in the First Division and two seasons in the Second Division during the inter-war period - season 1929-30 was the last time Spurs & Chelsea played League games outside the Top Flight of English Football.

Spurs only lost two of those 14 League matches.

During World War Two, 16 games were played between Spurs and Chelsea

Spurs returned to the First Division in season 1950-51 and did the 'double' over Chelsea winning 2-0 away and 2-1 at home on their way to the first Football League Championship.

Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea contested the first all-London FA Cup Final in 1967 at Wembley with Spurs winning 2-1 thanks to goals scored by Jimmy Robertson and Frank Saul.

The first meeting in the Football League Cup came in the 1971-72 Semi-Finals with Chelsea winning the first leg at Stamford Bridge 3-2 and Spurs only managing a 2-2 draw at White Hart Lane.

Both clubs were founder members of the Premier League in 1992-93 and both have been ever-present for the 23 seasons of the competition, along with Arsenal, Aston Villa, Everton, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Chelsea have very much had the upper hand during the Premier League Era with 24 wins to Tottenham's 3 with the remaining 15 matches drawn.

A second domestic Cup Final was contested in 2008 when Spurs beat Chelsea in the Football League (Carling) Cup Final 2-1 after extra time at Wembley. A Dimitar Berbatov penalty and a Jonathan Woodgate header ensured the silverware would once again reside in North London.

The 2010-11 fixture in December at White Hart Lane resulted in a 1-1 draw with Roman Pavlyuchenko scoring for Spurs after 15 minutes and Didier Drogba getting Chelsea's equaliser after 70 minutes. Drogba's injury time penalty was saved by Heurelho Gomes.

The reverse fixture at Stamford Bridge in April was won by Chelsea 2-1 with Spurs taking a 19th minute lead through Sandro and Frank Lampard equalising on half time. Salomon Kalou scored the winner after 89 minutes.

The 2011-12 match at White Hart Lane in December resulted in a 1-1 draw with Emmanuel Adebayor putting Spurs ahead after 8 minutes and Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge getting the equaliser in the 23rd minute. The game at Stamford Bridge in March ended in a goalless draw.

Chelsea won the 2012 FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembley 5-1 with the turning-point coming from a 49th minute Juan Mata goal which never crossed the line. Didier Drogba had put the Blues ahead just before the interval and Spurs managed to pull a goal back in the 56th minute through Gareth Bale. Three further goals from Ramares, Lampard and Malouda were added for Chelsea.

Andre Villas-Boas was sacked as Chelsea's manager in March 2012 and became the manager of Tottenham Hotspur on 3rd July 2012. The match at White Hart Lane in October 2012 was won by Chelsea 4-2. A Gary Cahill volly after 17 minutes was the only goal of the first half and Spurs went ahead with goals from William Gallas and Jermain Defoe. A brace from Juan Mata and a Daniel Sturridge goal gave Chelsea the three points.

The teams drew 2-2 at Stamford Bridge in May 2013 with Oscar opening the scoring after 10 minutes and Emmanuel Adebayor getting the equaliser after 26 minutes. Ramires put Chelsea ahead again after 39 minutes but Gylfi Sigurdsson scored 10 minutes from the end.

Sigurdsson scored again in the 19th minute at White Hart Lane in September 2013 to put Spurs 1-0 ahead of Chelsea but John Terry equalised for the Blues after 65 minutes to ensure the points were shared. Chelsea ran-out 4-0 winners in the game at Stamford Bridge in March 2014 with goals from Samuel Eto'o, Eden Hazard and a brace from Demba Ba.

Overall, Spurs have won 68, Chelsea have won 75 and 49 of the 192 matches between the two clubs have been drawn.

Full History of Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea Matches 1908-2015

They Played for Spurs & Chelsea....

Clive Allen
    Les Allen

Jimmy Armstrong
    Frank Arnesen (Director of Football both clubs)
    Eddie Bailey
    Ted Birnie
    Danny Blanchflower (Spurs player, Chelsea manager)
    Derek Brazil
    Johnny Brooks
    Bill Cartwright
    Sid Castle
    David Copeland
    Carlo Cudicini
    Jason Cundy
    Kerry Dixon
    Gordon Durie
    Mark Falco
    William Gallas

Lee Gardner
    George Graham (Chelsea player, Spurs manager)
    Jimmy Greaves
    Frode Grodas
    Eidur Gudjohnsen

Tommy Harmer (Spurs player, Chelsea coach)
    Alan Harris (Chelsea player, Spurs asst. manager)
    Micky Hazard
    Glenn Hoddle
    (Spurs & Chelsea player & manager)
    Stewart Houston (Chelsea player, Spurs asst. manager)
    Percy Humphries
    Steve Kelly
    John Kirwan
    Colin Lee
    Scott Parker
    Gustavo Poyet
    Graham Roberts
    Max Seeburg

Buchanan Sharp
    Bobby Smith
    Neil Sullivan

Andy Thompson (Spurs player, Chelsea coach)
    Sid Tickridge
    Jimmy Townley
    Terry Venables (also Spurs manager)
    Andre Villas-Boas (manager at both clubs)
    Keith Weller
    Ernie Walley (Spurs player, Chelsea asst. manager)
    Harry Wilding
    Clive Wilson
    Vivian Woodward

2. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

Spurs to edge it if we score first.

3. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

From your lips to God's ear!

4. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

You mean if they score first, surely? ;)

Soldado has out scored Chelsea this weekend. I reckon we'll batter those has-beens :p

5. The Mighty Thor

No Yid, we'll edge it just if we score first, hell I felt I had to write something but the truth is I haven't a clue.

God meaning Jose 6061?

6. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I was just joking because we've conceded the first goal and gone on to win in 3 of our last 4.

Infact, 6 of our last 8 games have finished 2-1. Perhaps that's the smart bet for Wednesday.

7. The Mighty Thor

I often imagine scores before the match and also often it's Chelsea 1 the other team 2 so here's hoping. A 1-2 would suit me but I long for the day when we beat a team by two clear goals.

8. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I want a good performance....cant see us getting anything from the match but a good performance could set us up well for december

9. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Interesting we have the second and third of the two team's leading three scorers, that their sum of goals equals the first's total--and that the first will be out Wednesday.

Probably only interesting to me, really.

10. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Some good players in the played for both list

And Eden's dad

11. The Mighty Thor

We've only lost one on the last seven so it's a good springboard going into this match.

12. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

kerry dixon played for us?

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Apparently an apprentice but never played

14. The Mighty Thor

Chelsea have stated that they are "Not scared" of facing Tottenham without Costa, well that's good because nobody expected them to be but does that statement mean that we are starting to gain some respect? I don't know whether the dropped points against Sunderland were traditional Gus Poyet taking them off Chelsea or the start of Chelsea's normal mid season wobble. I hope it's the latter. I think we all feel that we are in with a chance here don't we?

15. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

i certainly hope so,so i can give my Chelsea loving nephew so serious stick,for a change

16. The Mighty Thor

What cane him you mean?

17. It's going to be sweet ending the Chav's winning streak.

I love it when we wipe that smug grin off Mad Dog's face.

18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Especially as he'd be the first Chelsea manager to lose a game against Spurs at Shamford Bridge since 1872, or however long it is.

19. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it would not come as a shock to see us lose a one-sided game. We've seen it happen too often, and Chelsea away is the toughest game we--or anyone else--have all year.

On the other hand: no one expected us to be coming in to the game in better form and with more points over the last couple, that Costa would be out, or that we've suddenly started playing like a team. In fact even when we were playing badly (almost the entire year), we were okay against the best teams, getting a rare away draw at the library and playing well against City, even if the scoreboard didn't show it. It was only the Liverpool game where we were awful.

As I say, no one could be shocked if we lose by a few. But a careful look at the two teams convinces me we have a real chance of getting robbed by the officials in this game.

20. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

That's a good idea <laugh>