1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley Match History 1903-2015

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Dec 19, 2014.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley Match History 1903-2015

Tottenham Hotspur host Burnley at White Hart Lane on Saturday 20th December 2014 (KO 15:00) in the 17th round of 2014-15 Premier League Matches.

Spurs come into the match in 7th place in the Table on 24 points, while Burnley are in 17th place on 15 points. This will be the 107th time the two teams have played each other.

Burnley were founded in 1882 when Burnley Rovers Rugby Club decided to switch codes to Association Football. They moved to Turf Moor in 1883 and became founder members of the Football League in 1888. They lost their Top Flight status when they were relegated to the Second Division in 1896-97. The club colours were changed from green & black to claret & sky blue for the 1910-11 season.

The first meeting with Tottenham Hotspur came in a friendly played in December 1903 which Spurs won 4-0. The clubs met in the first round (modern third round) of the FA Cup in January 1906 with Spurs winning 2-0 at White Hart Lane.

The first League meeting came in December 1908 in the Second Division with Spurs winning 4-2 at the Lane. Burnley won a replayed FA Cup third round game at Turf Moor 3-1 in February 1909. The reverse League game that season was won by Spurs 2-1 at Burnley.

The first Top Flight League meeting came in October 1913 with Burnley winning 3-1 on home soil. Spurs won the reverse fixture 2-0.

The clubs contested the 1921 Charity Shield with FA Cup Holders Spurs winning 2-0 at the Lane.

From 1913 to 1928 all League games between Spurs & Burnley were played in Division One but by the 1930s both clubs had been relegated to Division Two, where they remained until football resumed after World War Two.

The clubs were back playing each other in Division One for the 1950-51 season and all but two League meetings from then have been in the Top Flight.

Spurs won an FA Cup Semi-Final 3-0 against Burnley at Villa Park in March 1961 on their way to their third FA Cup win.

They met again in the 1962 Final at Wembley with Spurs winning 3-1 with goals from Danny Blanchflower, Bobby Smith and Jimmy Greaves.

There have been relatively few direct transfers between the two clubs but in the summer of 1971 England international Ralph Coates moved to Spurs from the Clarets for £190,000.

The first meeting in the Football League Cup came in the fifth round in 1983 with Burnley winning 4-1. A decade later, Spurs won a League Cup Semi-Final 3-1 over two legs. The clubs played a further two League Cup games before another Semi-Final was won by Spurs 6-4 on aggregate.

Burnley won promotion to the Premier League for the first time in season 2009-10 with Spurs winning 5-0 at the Lane in September with Robbie Keane scoring four goals, while Burnley won the return game 3-2 at Turf Moor.

Tottenham Hotspur have won 42 of the 106 games played so far with Burnley winning 40 and the remaining 24 matches ending in draws.

Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley Match History & Records 1903-2015

They Played for Spurs & Burnley...

David Black
    Ralph Coates
    Jock Davidson
    Arthur Dixon
    Frank Drabble
    David Haddow
    Ellis Hargreaves
    Harry Hargreaves
    Jim Hartley
    Mark Kendall
    Doug McFarlane
    Paul Mahorn
    Dean Marney
    Tony Parks

Tom Roberts
    Max Seeburg
    Paul Stewart
    Mitchell Thomas
    Chris Waddle
    (also Burnley manager)

2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

paul stewart...? seriously...?
    How many clubs did he play for?

One more fact...the 5-0 win over Burnley in August 2009 was the first time Gareth Bale left the pitch as a winner in a spurs shirt in a premier League match...2 years into his spurs career ... in his 23rd or 24th match!
    mind you he only came on for the final 3 minutes or so...was at that match with my kids

3. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Yep, Paul Stewart AGAIN <laugh>

Burnley used to be a top, top side. For a town of 70,000 people (the smallest town with a league club), it was a phenomenal achievement. It was based on a very productive youth system, which scouted the best young players - mainly from the North East.

Nowadays, when cash is king, it's probably even more remarkable that they've reached the PL.

4. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

Should win today, start Bobby and play Kane behind him in a 4-2-3-1, can't see Burnley penetrating.

5. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Yes, they were. Hard to believe now, but back in the double year the top 4 clubs were Spurs, Sheff Weds, Burnley, Wolves.

6. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm hoping that we stick with Kane as the lone striker and Eriksen in the free role behind him for this one.
    Chadli and Stambouli should probably retain their places in the side and both Lamela, Mason and Soldado should be benched.
    Lloris; Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies; Lennon/Townsend, Stambouli, Bentaleb, Chadli; Eriksen; Kane, perhaps?

7. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

No injury worries,even Ade is available

8. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

Kane with Eriksen behind him is our best option .
    Should be an easy 3 points but this is Spurs .
    A little run to add confidence would be nice .
    I will sadly miss the game as Pantomime season
    is upon us . The call of Aladdin with all it's oriental
    charm beckons .

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Lloris,
    Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies
    Stambouli, Bentaleb
    Lennon*, Eriksen, Chadli
    Kane

*If fit, otherwise Andros or Erik, although I don't really like two inverted wingers but Chadli and Eriksen are both ineffective on the right.

That'd be my preferred choice, Stambouli has impressed me in all the games he's been given chances in so I think a start would be just reward. Mason has seemed a bit jaded in games lately so a week or two rest for him would be good I think, his pre-season was cut short due to injury and then since the Forest game he's played in pretty much every match so he may still be finding it tough keeping pace with things at the moment, has done really well for the most part though and has more than justified his place in the side.

10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Just a small adjustment, THFC6061, we lost 4-2 to Burnley in the league. The PL table is right but the text above it says 3-2.

Along with our battering of Villa last season, it's a great example of players already on their holidays. Modric scored a lovely goal though, if I remember rightly.

11. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I would also pick PNP and SOS’s lineup. Surely Pochettino will provide at least one surprise, if the past is any guide.

Though come to think of it, I wouldn’t mind seeing Mason come in for Stambouli.

"Should" is an interesting concept. We should win this game based on our standing in the league. But based on our performances at home against lower-ranked teams, Burnley should walk away with at least a point.

We’re also not alone in struggling against less highly rated teams. It’s happened to every single other strong team except Chelsea this year, hence the low ppg for almost all the top-half clubs.

12. totsfan

Lloris,Davis Verts,Fazio,Walker Bentalab Mason,Chadli,Ericksen,Lamela,Kane

13. redwhiteandermblue

I can see Mason, as I mentioned. He&#8217;s more of a playmaker. Stambouli is more of a DM. In theory, against Burnley, choosing the playmaker over the (extra) DM makes sense. I have no idea why we keep playing Lamela, presumably on the right, where he&#8217;s been useless. But, sure enough, Pochettino has not named the lineup the fans would name.

I wouldn&#8217;t have minded either or both of our FBs against Newcastle playing again. I thought both Chiriches and Rose were excellent. Chiriches, in particular, may provide more surprises, and more trouble, to a team that sits back. You just don&#8217;t know what he&#8217;s going to do, though that&#8217;s not always a good thing.

COYS!

14. No Kane No Gain

You got your wish.

Lloris (c); Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies; Bentaleb, Mason; Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli; Kane

Vorm, Chiriches, Rose, Dembele, Stambouli, Townsend, Soldado

Would much rather Stambouli over Mason and Townsend over Lamela but there we go. I'll blame RWAEB if we don't win.

15. totsfan

Prehaps he's doing well in training,and M/P is hoping he can transfer it in games

16. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be much point in paying him his huge salary if he played the same team we wanted....

17. redwhiteandermblue

You do wonder sometimes if that&#8217;s a factor in manager&#8217;s decisions, the idea that they can&#8217;t just do what every chucklehead fan would do.

My beloved Chicago Cubs, I think, had a game where the fans managed via some stunningly low tech display of cards they were all given. Surely that would be a fun one to try in an exhibition, at least: Have the fans pick the lineup and the substitutions via online polling.

Seems fair to me. Sometime in the distant future we can work out a scenario where I get credit for a win...

18. No Kane No Gain

Just seen on BBC Live Text that Chaldi's offering his 2 spare tickets on Twitter, must be short of a bit of cash after getting the Christmas shopping in.

19. totsfan

That will upset Stubhub

20. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Davies picks up an early booking. Sloppy.