1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton & Hove Albion

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 16, 2018.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Tuesday 17th April 7.45pm
    Premier League
    Amex Stadium​

Our unbeaten run has ended in the same manner that it began, as we lost to Man City.
    They've become the first side that we haven't beaten home or away in this campaign, as they took the title.
    It's a disappointing result and it was a pretty disappointing performance, which we need to bounce back from quickly.
    With an FA Cup semi-final looming against the 2nd team from Manchester, we can't afford to stumble now.
    The end of the season's in sight and we need to finish strongly to end our trophy drought and guarantee top 4.

Chris Hughton's Brighton are our hosts for this match and it's our first trip to their fairly new stadium.
    Our former player, coach and caretaker manager has had a mixed time in his club's first Premier League season.
    They're currently in 13th place and look likely to remain in the division, but they're fighting for every point.
    It's been a tough campaign for them, but they'd be pretty happy with it if they can stay up.
    Another win would just about do it and they shocked Arsenal by beating them last month.

Glenn Murray is their main threat with a pretty impressive tally of 11 Premier League goals, so far.
    It's the most that he's scored at this level, in a career that's seen him move up and down all four divisions.
    Pascal Gross is their most consistent supplier and he also scores a few, including their first ever Premier League goal.
    Joze Izquierdo is their wildcard, a talented Colombian winger who scores some memorable strikes.
    We can expect them to play on the counter and use decent width to try to stretch us on the break.

There was no corresponding fixture last season, nor has there been one since 1983.
    The match at Wembley earlier in the campaign turned out to be a fairly tough match though, despite the scoreline.
    A Serge Aurier cross looped into the net to give us the lead, after Brighton had kept us out early on.
    Lamela and Kane hit the post, as we dominated territory and possession, but couldn't get a second.
    An unconventional header from Son managed that and put the game to bed with a few minutes left:

Danny Rose and Harry Winks miss out again with injuries. Llorente returns following a personal issue.
    Steve Sidwell is Brighton's only injury absence. Davey Propper also misses out through suspension.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies; Dier, Dembele; Lamela, Eriksen Alli; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Aurier, Wanyama, Sissoko, Moura, Son, Sterling.
    League form: WWWWWL.

Brighton: Ryan; Schelotto, Duffy, Dunk, Bong; Gross, Kayal, Stephens; Izquierdo, Murray, Locadia.
    Subs: Krul, Bruno, Goldson, March, Knockaert, Baldock, Ulloa.
    League form: WWLLDL.

Referee: Kevin Friend.

TV: Sky Sports.

Mauricio Pochettino has said that the side will be rotating for this match, so who should be left out?
    Is there anyone in particular that you wouldn't risk or that you think that we can't do without?
    Does anyone outside of our usual XI deserve a shot at earning a semi-final place?

Alfie Conn likes this.
  2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Pochettino obviously been here today, and is
    saying hitting PL form on day 1 is a must now.

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

No Paul Stewart :(

5. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Toby in the squad?!! Wow!

Part of me thinks Kane needs a rest for the weekend, and the other part says he needs the minutes. Difficult dilemma.
    One thing is for sure, Lucas needs to play. Son, despite being excellent, has seen his form dip recently. Some variety could do us good tactically, and we all know how effective Son can be from the bench, too.

6. The RDBD

And Pochettino will decide if he will be selected. :)

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Vorm/ Gazza
    Aurier, Toby, Dave, KWP
    Wanyama, Sissoko
    Lucas, Eriksen, Lamela
    Nando

Lot of rotation for me, Semi should take absolute priority.

Don't like saying it but Hugo needs to be dropped, form has been terrible of late and with just a few games left of the season it wouldn't hurt giving Vorm/ Gazza a run out.
    Rose is injured and it wouldn't be ideal having Davies playing three games in quick succession with the third one being the most important.
    Jan should be wrapped in cotton wool.
    Dier and Dembele to be fresh for Saturday, hopefully we'll see their A-games then and not the below par stuff we've seen for most of the season.
    Lucas needs a start. Eriksen is too undroppable at the moment, though it'd be great if we could sub him off at some point if the game is sewn up. Give Alli a bit of a rest too, I think he'll be one of the players well up for the semi as he tends to enjoy big occassions, he and Son can come on in the second half.
    Give Nando a rare start, have Kane come on at 45-60 against more laboured legs to step up his match fitness.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I say play Kane, either he proves he's back on his game or bench him on the weekend and play Son upfront. Kane is an option off the bench.

It would help decide wether he is fit to start on weekend...we need to win

Poch saying Lloris is in goal. Hmmm suppose he doesn't want to shatter his confidence but on the other hand...the guy has been ****

9. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

11. Citizen Kane

Agree with DH we should (but won't) rotate heavily for this one. Even if it goes pear-shaped, I'm hopeful Burnley will do us a favour at Turf Moor on Thursday and beat a distracted Chelsea team. I also agree that certain players need reminding that they aren't undroppable. Kane needs more minutes to get his sharpness back. Can't see how extra training helps a guy of his quality.

Vorm
    Aurier Dave Toby KWP
    Wanyama Sissoko
    Lucas Alli Lamela
    Kane

Then for the United game:

Vorm/Lloris
    Trippier Dave Jan Davies
    Wanyama/Dier Dembele
    Alli Eriksen Son
    Kane

12. The RDBD

Pre-match stuff ...

13. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

If Toby plays, this could be the last time we see him in a Spurs shirt. Such a shame :emoticon-0145-shake

audrey.s.thackeray likes this.
  14. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Agreed. If there was ever a game for Harry to find his form again or for us to see that's he's simply not ready for the weekend, this is it.

It's a difficult one. There's clearly a form and confidence issue going on with Hugo which to me is just a concentration thing. Drop him and he could sink further. One more slip up and it could cost us hugely. Vorm on the other hand has been great when he's come in and must think, what has he got to do to get a chance seeing Hugo's form is not anywhere near good enough?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  15. Citizen Kane

Poch probably has the long term picture in mind. By all accounts Mitch will be leaving at the end of the season when his contract expires. Huge shame as I'm a massive fan and he seems really popular in the dressing room. Also loved the way he went after the Chelsea bench for shoving Poch and had to be restrained by our coaching staff <laugh>

So like you said, Lloris' "feelings" are going to be considered more than Vorm's at this time. If and when we wrap up top 4 I'd like to see Gazza getting some games as he is clearly the long term option as cover and potentially one day our number 1.

Vorm would be a huge asset to many Pl teams. I can see someone like Palace taking him.

16. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Billy The Spur likes this.
  17. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I believe him. He said anyone playing **** will be dropped. I think all managers do that. He is continuing his campaign against Pogba and aa such I think the words he uses are honest if shortsighted.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  18. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

didn't know where to put this but some tickets for the semifinal have become available...got mine, my 14 yr olds and a mates for £87 including charges and postage...can buy through spurs website.
    coys

19. The RDBD

Club watch would be ok (is there an FA Cup 2017-18 article here) ??

20. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Gotta say, I like that starting line up.

Toby finally playing.
    At least one of our better full backs on the pitch.
    Moura starting.
    A rest for Dembele.

COYS

No Alli though. Is he injured?