1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 29, 2022.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Saturday 1st October 12.30pm
    Premier League
    Emirates Stadium​

Doubts over Kulusevski and Lloris, but nothing confirmed yet.
    Neither side has any suspensions.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Sanchez, Dier, Lenglet; Perisic, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Sessegnon; Kulusevski, Kane, Richarlison.
    Subs: Forster, Doherty, Royal, Romero, Tanganga, Skipp, Bissouma, Gil, Son.
    League form: DWWDWW.

Arsenal: Ramsdale; White, Saliba, Gabriel M., Tierney; Xhaka, Partey; Saka, Vieira, Martinelli; Jesus.
    Subs: Turner, Tomiyasu, Holding, Sousa, Lokonga, Smith, Nwaneri, Marquinhos, Nketiah.
    League form: WWWWLW.

Ref: Anthony "Arsenal" Taylor. VAR: Jarred "Tim Sherwood's famous" Gillett.

TV: BT Sport 1.

How would you like to line up for this one?

Spurf and SpursDisciple like this.
  2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

From the "season compass" viewpoint, there is no
    pressure at all. For them lot : a "must win" game.

My concern is that Spurs this season have been
    sitting far too deep (inviting pressure to build) and
    in too large numbers (meaning the counter is not
    easily sprung) .

Kane and Son to start this one, and I want Son
    to remain near the halfway line.

3. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I'd very much like to see us go with 3 in the middle and take control of the game early on. After a brief period of dominance, our last few NLD performances have simply not been good enough. Even the 3-0 last season needed a penalty and a dismissal for us to really start to dominate. They will start with an energy and intensity that we will struggle to contain. I doubt it will happen, but I'd go with:

Forster
    Romero Dier Davies
    Spence Bissouma Bentancur Hojbjerg Perisic
    Kane Son

Subs
    Austin
    Royal
    Tanganga
    Lenglet
    Sessegnon
    Skipp
    White
    Richarlison
    Lucas

4. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I also fear we’ll get overrun if we play 343 straight from the off. With Kulu a doubt it might make the decision easier too. Then again, Richy has played well for Brazil, and will be pumped for a derby. Still I think 3 in the middle is a safer play at the start of the game and we can use our weapons from the bench if we need to, both Richarlison, and Kulu if he’s a doubt to start.

Then again, we had some mighty defensive performances playing 343 last season, so it might not be so bad. It really depends if we want to adapt and try and go toe to toe in the midfield battle, or if Conte just thinks **** it, we’ll play our game and trust in the defensive system to hold out.

5. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Paul Stewart.........................over his dead body

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Davies won’t be fit for Saturday, or at least he shouldn’t be. It was before the Leicester game the fracture would keep him out for a few weeks to a month so I doubt he’d come straight in for a NLD.

7. Citizen Kane.

Ah didn't realise it was a fracture.

Lenglet in, Dave to the bench. As you were.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’d seriously ponder starting Son on the bench again. It probably won’t happen but I really wouldn’t be against it. I want us to go 352 for this one and now with Kulu likely out, I’d definitely go with it and it’d also give us at least one top quality forward option on the bench to come on and try and change the game if required. If we go 343 with all fit forwards starting then our options off the bench will be Bryan who hasn’t had a look-in so far or Lucas if he’s back who won’t be 100% - and even at 100% he’s not always helpful.

352 gives us midfield solidity and with Kane and Richy up front we’ll have two target men for Perisic to try and find (who’d also have more forward freedom with the midfield trio), with Son then ready to **** **** up from the bench if required. As I said, I don’t see it happening but would just be open and understanding of it.

I’d go with:

Hugo*
    Romero, Dier, Lenglet
    **Spence, Bentancur, Bissouma, Hojbjerg, Perisic
    Kane, Richy

*if fit, which I bloody hope he will be
    ** we all know that ain’t happening, likely Emerson.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah only seems to be a minor one thankfully but pretty sure he was due to be out for between 3 and 4 weeks at the least, Saturday does make it 3 weeks but feels too big of a game to bring someone back in for if he is going to be available.

10. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Sonskjaer looks great off the bench

Dier Hard likes this.

11. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Davies definitely out and it sounds like Kulusevski, lloris and Romero are serious doubts.

Really hate the NLD ... unless I have a ticket I go out for a walk otherwise I get so stressed out with it... I normally check my phone at ht and ft...but my daughters and mates invariably contact me so at full time I have dozens of texts either deliriously happy or wrist slashing sad ...
    Utter nightmare of a game.

No idea why Chelsea or West ham fans think that those games are as important tbh.

There's only teo games that produces such a high or low and that's a NLD and a cup final.

Got no confidence for this weekend. Just hope it's an improvement on that **** fest of our last match there.

Dier Hard likes this.
  12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah I always find it weird when I see their fans say they’re our cup final. They have no idea the hate we hold for Arsenal, it supersedes anything of their two’s combined.

I look forward to the NLD for weeks before it happens as if it’s Christmas build up for a kid, though if we lose it’s like getting a pair of worn socks as your present from the uncle you don’t like.

The other two are massive games for us don’t get me wrong, but it’s just different with Arsenal, so so different.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  13. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

Goons have started season very well, even if their opponents have, on paper, been easier.

Despite only being a couple of points adrift, I think they have settled in better than us and I'm really not hopeful about this NLD.

I would also rather start cautiously with 442 as I can see them coming out fast. Would also love to see Spence or Doherty get an outing (the latter played well this week for Ireland) but I expect Emerson to start.

Would bite your hand off for a draw...

The Changing Man likes this.
  14. Citizen Kane.

Might be weird to say but I still hate Chelsea more than Woolwich and have done so since the season we finished 4th and still didn't get CL.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think any other team has plucked glory from our hands just as we were reaching out to grasp it more often than them. From the multiple finals and semi finals to the CL no show mentioned, to winning the league for Leicester...every time I imagine success for Spurs the shadow of John Terry in bloody full replica kit looms too closely.

I also go into proper sore loser mode when we lose to then because they literally do not deserve a single inch of success. They were the first actual team to financially dope the game. They set a dangerous precedent that multiple clubs across the globe have now copied. Losing to Woolwich hurts, but at least when the dust has settled I can usually tip my hat and admit that they deserved it. Losing to Chelsea leaves me seething at the injustice of it all. Every point lost a microcosm of every undeserved trophy gained.

I hate Arsenal. But I hate Chelsea more. So much more.

LockStock, Roo, vimhawk and 2 others like this.
  15. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Like RCL, I hate the build up to these games and am usually a bag of nerves before the match.

Only if we win are all the nerves and trepidation worth it. If we lose, I end up sulking for a few days <laugh>. If it’s a draw, then it depends on how we get it or where e.g. if it’s away, I’m fairly content with a point. If it’s at home, it’s a bit deflating.

I anticipate this will be a much closely fought contest compared to last year’s corresponding fixture. I know you don’t have a great record at our ground, but it’s a derby and any result is on the cards.

Just want it to be over already <laugh>

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

They bought their way into the top flight by paying off two teams that match fixed.
    They deserve nothing. Ever.

They're also playing a rapist in virtually every game.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  17. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

Not sure why we bother turning up. Can't we just forfeit the game and give them the 3 points? Less stressful!

18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yeah, last November near where i live they burnt a chap on the bonfire because someone said he did something. Nobody can remember who said it but most say he probably deserved it.

19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

< That which does not kill you only makes you stronger >

"Really hate the NLD ... unless I have a ticket I go out for a walk otherwise I get so stressed out with it"

As I said, this season a loss is no big deal in the "grand scheme" .
    I will have my ranting moments watching the game
    (few Spurs games escape this anyway :) ) , but unless the
    end result is / could have been worse than last season
    I won't be too wound up.

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Are there any rapists that you won't jump to the defence of?
    Still, at least it maintains your record of being wrong about everything, eh?