1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur 0 v 0 Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2017-9-12_14-19-32.png Tottenham Hotspur v. Swansea City upload_2017-9-12_14-19-32.png

Barclays Premier League
    Date - Saturday 16 September 2017
    Kick off - 17:30
    Venue - Wembley Stadium

Following Sunday's hugely disappointing performance and defeat at home to newly promoted Newcastle, the Swans next match is a visit to Wembley to play Spurs at their temporary home, whilst White Hart Lane is being redeveloped.

The Swans will have to move up several notches if they are to trouble a Spurs team that coasted to a 3-0 away victory at big-spending Everton last Saturday, with Harry Kane back in goal-scoring form.

The Swans have played Spurs on 43 occasions, winning just 8 times, losing 27 and drawing 8. Indeed, since entering the PL, the Swans have failed to beat Spurs - losing 10 of the 12 matches: the 2 draws were both at The Liberty meaning that the Swans have returned home pointless from every away PL game against Tottenham.

In the corresponding fixture last season, Spurs ran out comfortable 5-0 winners, although much of the headlines surrounded Spurs' opening goal, scored by Harry Kane from the penalty spot, after Dele Alli appeared to dive in the box.

Son Heung-min's brilliant acrobatic strike doubled the lead at the end of a first half Spurs totally dominated.

Kane added his second when smashing home Son's unintentional lay-off, before Christian Eriksen nodded home from close range and later drove in his second to further punish the Swans in stoppage time.

Looking ahead to Saturday, it is difficult to expect anything other than a comfortable home victory. However, if Clement reverts to playing 3 CBs and the team as a whole can rise to the occasion of playing at Wembley, then my heart says they may be able to sneak a draw: my head, however, says a 3-0 home win.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Spurs, pick a number between 1 and 10 ; Swans' 0

This could be embarrassing.

3. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I think most of us expect Spurs to win but one of the joys of football is you never know. If we play 3 at the back and Mesa,Clucas and Fer in midfiels Spurs won't find us so easy to break down and there is always their Wembley curse.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  4. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Tottenham don't seem to have got to grips with playing home games at Wembley yet, which could be a blessing.

Everyone will have this down as a banker for Spurs, but as Taff suggests, with 3 CBs we might hold out and frustrate them. That's a big 'might' though.

^^^We were typing at the same time Nosugar!!

5. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Fab
    Naughton , Fernandez , VDH , Mawson Olsson
    Ayew , Carroll , Sanchez , Clucas
    .....Bony

6. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

Still like the pace of Abraham and Ayew up front to start. It may still be too soon for Sanches. Bony and Sanches on the bench. Thought Carroll was poor on Sunday but it is his old team.

seabreeze likes this.
  7. Taffvalerowdy

Think I'd play something like

Fabianski
    Naughton, Fernandez, VDH, Mawson, Olsson
    Mesa, Carroll, Clucas
    Sanchez
    Abraham

In all honesty, I don't think that Sanchez merits selection ahead of Ayew, but I think Sanchez will get the nod. Hopefully, the big stage & wide open spaces will bring the best out of him.

Upfront, Abraham's fitness and speed will I think get him the starting nod over Wilf.

8. seabreeze

My problem with Abraham sugarman is he great right up till the " Sting " moment then loses focus . Seen it in many an athelete . Abraham goes back at the end of the season , Bony stays . Abraham would only play a minor role in my team if I was runnin things . Then again , if I was runnin things ... my god !

9. seabreeze

We'll have to take a hit on Sanches and Bony for a few games so they are up and running for the last 30 or so.

10. LIBERTARIAN

I will be delighted if my pessimism proves unfounded.

11. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

2-1 Swans

12. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Another 5 - 0 drubbing i'm afraid is more than likely....But we will always do what we do and have a delusional dream...

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  13. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

All I can say is, that our pedestrian lot will get thumped, and deservedly so, we are not good enough for teams like Spurs and it will show how much work will be needed, before this lot get their focus on where the onion sack is.........<laugh>

14. swanseaandproud

Agree Dragon but we keep on saying the same thing season after season but do sod all about it. That is what is so annoying.........You watch the next time we win a game which we will, Everyone will be saying "We are Back" No we are not and all we have done is win a game but there is no consistency as we start losing or drawing at the very best......We have not scored a single goal at home yet but conceded 6 and i here you say "but that's against Man UTD......Yes it was but it was only a few seasons back that we could match them not only at home but away too....I hate the way our club is run and what we have become and every team now see us as an easy target for 3 points.....It's a shame Mun...

15. Kwame B

Kwame B Well-Known Member

I remember seeing us beat Spurs 1-0 way back in 1991 at the Vetch, a Gilligan winner. Though I fear the second leg back at White Hart lane which finished 5-1 (I think) will be closer to this weeks upcoming fixture.
    No doubt Eriksen will score, he loves playing us, Kane will get a couple, 3 or 4 nil I think.
    I expect a more spirited performance from us than the Newcastle game and to keep it at 1-0 till the three quarter stage, when I predict the game will get away from us.

16. swanseaandproud

It's not Spirited we need, We need better players and a good manager that wont sell our best players when we dont have to.....Clem was full of it when he joined but to be fair all new managers are but i thought he was the man to take control of the team with who we sell and who we bring in and a few tasty names were mentioned he wanted but as usual nothing came of it......He is nothing of the sort he just does what he is told like all the rest.....There have been only two managers that have stood up to the board and that was Sousa and latterly Monk.....If you want success you have to keep your players on a long contract and only sell if the player has only a year left and wont sign......Selling him then for a profit is good business....

17. LIBERTARIAN

Left out Laudrup again, Dai. No surprise there then.
    He DID exist, you know, despite your determination to air brush him out of the Club's history.
    Thankfully, we have the record books to highlight his achievements.

18. Taffvalerowdy

Who's the Spurs goal scorer - Ben or Llorente?

Former players always seem to score against us.... <wah>

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  19. LIBERTARIAN

If they played Cliff Jones, he'd get a couple. <laugh>

20. swanseaandproud

Don't rate Laudcrap one bit and it seems like all the good clubs think so too ....Thats why he had to go to a league nobody talks about....He was a rubbish manager that paid the price because he was useless.....Only one place above Bradley who was worst....<ok>