1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham consider recall of Benoit Assou-Ekotto

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Q.P.R, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Q.P.R

Q.P.R Active Member

By Jeremy Wilson9:30AM GMT 31 Dec 2013
    Spurs make new left back a priority in January transfer window and may recall Benoît Assou-Ekotto from QPR

Tottenham Hotspur have made left back their priority in the looming January transfer window, with serious consideration being given to the recall of Benoît Assou-Ekotto from Queens Park Rangers.

Tim Sherwood, the new head coach, has a high regard for Danny Rose but his season has been disrupted by injury and the departure of Andre Villas-Boas has given Assou-Ekotto fresh hope of resurrecting his Spurs career.

The loan deal with QPR would allow Assou-Ekotto to return in January although Spurs will also look at other options during the transfer window. Assou-Ekotto enjoyed the best spell of his career under Harry Redknapp and Sherwood is also keen to encourage his players to express themselves.

He does not want to overhaul the squad next month and will instead focus on boosting the self-belief of his existing group.

Christian Eriksen has played every minute of Sherwood’s three Premier League matches as manager and, after two wins and a draw, believes that the collective confidence is returning.

Asked what Sherwood’s message has been, Eriksen said: “He says you have to enjoy it. Play positively. For me it’s only good. Of course it was a bit of a different role for me than the other games, a bit more attacking, a like that more.

“The coach is saying to play more free. We have seen that in the games. He said it looked like we were a little bit afraid. We shouldn’t be afraid – just play. If we dare, we have a really good team and really good chances.

“I think it’s only going to go better. The last few months of course have been ups and downs with everything and I think what you see now is how we should play.”

Tottenham face Manchester United at Old Trafford on Wednesday and Eriksen believes that the players must approach the game with the same confidence they showed in beating Stoke City 3-0 on Sunday.

“We have to just play free, not be afraid, we know we can compete, if we do our thing we can have a good chance,” he said. “It’s the same at the Emirates (in the FA Cup).

"We still have our goals to be in the top four. That is the first thing we want to achieve I’m not afraid of anybody. We have quality as well.”

2. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

I questioned his attitude a couple of weeks back after one of the games but he would be a huge loss. The guy is class.

3. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Not a player we can afford to lose either if we are going to maintain the defensive solidity we need to get a top 2 spot.

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

He's avery good player, way too good for this league, which is probably why his heart doesn't seem to be in it. I like watching good players, but we shouldn't really need someone this good to get out of this league.

5. Grifter

Grifter Well-Known Member

He's good, but he slows the game down a lot, which adds to our tendency to be ponderous whilst in possession. Plus he's happy to let opposition players cross into the box, turning his body away and generally being a big pansy.

Would be a loss, but if we sourced a young pacy/passionate LB as replacement we'd make do.

6. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with all of this. Especially the point about slowing the game down. He doesn't seem too keen to get forward and have a go!

7. Grifter

Grifter Well-Known Member

8. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I think BAE has burned his bridges...

9. TheLoneRanger

TheLoneRanger Well-Known Member

Apologies if this was mentioned on another thread, but I can't see anything about it, BAE sent a tweet yesterday to the French, so called comedian who is the friend of Nicholas Anelka, and at the center of the anti-semitic salute, asking him when he was going to come to White Hart Lane, saying he'd love it, with his obligatory 'lol' at the end of it.

Now Spurs apparently had a word, and accept it was taken out of context, and that BAE accepts that it was in bad taste and taken out of context. Now it may wash with West Brom and they may be able to sweep it under the carpet, as they really need Anelka, but I don't think that comment will have gone down well at Tottenham. I think the fact that he's been given permission to play in the FA cup for us pretty much signals the end of his career at White Hart Lane. But then I thought that about Barton coming back to us?!

But he would be perfect for us if we could keep him, if we are promoted.

10. TheLoneRanger

TheLoneRanger Well-Known Member

Apologies if this was mentioned on another thread, but I can't see anything about it, BAE sent a tweet yesterday to the French, so called comedian who is the friend of Nicholas Anelka, and at the center of the anti-semitic salute, asking him when he was going to come to White Hart Lane, saying he'd love it, with his obligatory 'lol' at the end of it.

Now Spurs apparently had a word, and accept it was taken out of context, and that BAE accepts that it was in bad taste and taken out of context. Now West Brom may be able to sweep it under the carpet regarding Anelka, as they really need him, but I don't think that comment will have gone down well at Tottenham from BAE. I think the fact that he's been given permission to play in the FA cup for us pretty much signals the end of his career at White Hart Lane. But then I thought that about Barton coming back to us?!

But he would be perfect for us if we could keep him, if we are promoted.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Notice he was off the pitch as quick as a whippet yesterday if tunnel cam is anything to go by. Had time to get showered and drive off before the others got to the dressing room. Takes all sorts, and he has said that football is very much a job and nothing else to him, but he does seem an odd type. tweeting about the quenelle after the Anelka fiasco shows a lack of grey matter at the very least.

12. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

Talk sport think they want Carroll back, he is no great loss and I'd like to see another loan Midfielder bought in.

I don't think anyone can say Carroll has been a success.

13. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Well if we can keep one of the 2, I'd certainly chose BAE. But sometimes Carroll has looked the only player with quick feet in our midfield.

14. seahoop

seahoop Well-Known Member

15. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member