1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Torquay...3-1...Argyle.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well Torquay are beginning to turn their act around after some appalling seasons.... promotion back to the National League was achieved last season.....and their display last night confirmed that progress is continuing.

But let us look at last nights game in more depth.

Ryan Lowe obviously more interested in discovering what he has inherited in the remains of Adams squad than a match result.

The team he put out last night was......
    Alex Palmer, Peck, Canavan, Sawyer, Riley, Sarcevic, Joe Edwards, Joel Grant, Smith-Brown, Lolos, Fletcher.

No Bury players in that starting line up (he knows what they can do)....threw his new keeper in for 90 mins and he looked ok....Joe Edwards was his first player in and checked him out.....the rest of the team were Adams failing team plus the youngsters that he is giving a good looking
    at in pre-season games.

Torquay's lively attack showed Lowe why Argyle got relegated last season...Canavan and Sawyer to slow and Peck with no experience at the moment at this level.

Klaidi Lolos continuing to show promise and Fletcher not really showing much at all.

On the bench was....Conor Grant, Callum McFadzean, Randell, Moore, Jephcott, Sangster, Purrington and Cooper.....all got playing time last night accept Cooper.

So no Danny Mayor, no Will Aimson, or Dom Telford,

Telford I believe got injured in the warm up and was swapped with Fletcher.
    Danny Mayor got clattered in the last match and was out....and Will Aimson is carrying an injury from last season (how did he pass a medical then ?)

From the subs we know that Adam Randell has looked promising and Michael Cooper is developing nicely and that Conor Grant should get playing time and possibly so will Tafari Moore ? during this season...disregarding McFadzean the rest Jephcott, Sangster and Purrington might not.

Left out last night were Calum Dyson, Ryan Taylor, Scott Wootton, Ryan Law......Taylor should get playing time and maybe Wootton.....Dyson and Law I doubt.

Forget the result last night...I don't think you can compare it with the Yeovil debacle of last pre-season......well I hope not anyway.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Don't know where you got your info from but that's very similar to what I gleaned. The back three struggled due to a lack of pace and agility. I suppose that's the difference for someone like Canavan, a traditional CB, playing in a 3 rather than a 4. I'm sorry to say it, but based on last year, this may be 1 season too many for Gary Sawyer.

The other - and similar - problem area seems to be the wing backs. Only Riley of last year's squad seems to have shone there.

Conor Grant looks like a shoo-in in centre midfield.... if he stays fit.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member