1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tony Mowbray ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

Bit harsh that mate. We all have our opinions.

John 11:35 and Nonsense Potter like this.
  2. Tongester55

Tongester55 Well-Known Member

Earlier you said that we have no transfer kitty, which I assume means "zero money" but now you want to bet that we don't spend £12.5m - that's a massive difference. How about offering the bet based on your original quote that we will not sign anyone?

Southern A likes this.
  3. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Fair few been doing that to be fair last few days...

Sour Patch likes this.
  4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think Neil's future is playing deep, he's got the brain and passing range for it whereas he's not especially dangerous going forward. He's not useless there by any means and can finish very nicely when he keeps a cool head but I think his natural talent leans more defensive.

5. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

I agree, Neil needs to be playing in front of the defence, like Evans, as link up to the midfield and attack

Nacho likes this.
  6. Wes

Wes Well-Known Member

Poor man’s Declan Rice, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
    I love watching him and there is certainly improvement within him just think the role Rice plays is exactly what Dan should be doing!

7. Monkey69

Monkey69 Well-Known Member

The only quotes I can remember coming from the club were when KS stated that if the right player became available at the right kind of price then the funds would be there to make it happen. Never once has a transfer kitty been mentioned.

8. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

It depends what stats he’s referring to.

I think Dodds is wrong on the issue just being chance conversion though as I thought Mowbray was. We’re the 20th worst in the league for shots in the area this season (3 of the 4 worse than us are in the relegation spots). That’s statistically from where most goals are scored. And we’re the worst team in the league for shots in the six yard box.

Disappointing to hear him saying what he did as it sounds like not much will be changing for today/Tuesday.

*stats courtesy of that video that was put up earlier but I have checked them.

Daz and Robertson like this.
  9. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Well-Known Member

The shot conversion comment was my opinion not what Dodds said.

Dodds mentioned the metrics and statistics where showing there isn't a huge amount wrong. Which I do agree with.

Just wanted to clarify that as it would be unfair to judge him on a misinterpretation of my post

Robertson and Culinary like this.
  10. Culinary

Ah, I’m pleased to hear it. ;)

Good of you to clarify, thanks.

Chunksafc likes this.

11. Sour Patch

Sour Patch Guest

12. JammySAFC

JammySAFC Well-Known Member

clockstander and Sour Patch like this.
  13. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Radio Newcastle biased never in the world.

smithy in nl likes this.
  14. WorkyTicketFTM

WorkyTicketFTM Well-Known Member

Havent watched the video but I was looking at our stats the other day we’re 1st,2nd or 3rd in the league alongside 3 of Ipswich, Leeds and Leicester for a lot of relevant stats but the conversion is definitely the issue but I also think teams let us have the ball in midfield because the build up is slow and we aren’t hurting them whilst we’re that deep.

Possession, passes, pass completion, progressive passes, Shots p90, more shot creating actions, more touches in final third + box, more take ons, more progressive carries, corners p90, xG etc we’re all right at the top.

Aerial duels, % of shots on target, corner success, interceptions, clearances, errors we’re really poor.

15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Feels like this should be in the “mags embarrassing” thread really!!

Whilst I didn’t want Mowbray to go, I understand the club’s position and things haven’t quite looked or “felt” right recently. “Yeah I’m happy, but I’d be happy playing golf with Pally”? Thought the end was nigh at that point

Sour Patch likes this.
  16. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

it still boggles my mind with SunFM never really got in with the football club. And as for this "Sacking of Mowbray", clubs getting pelters for it, what's to say it wasn't mutual? Can anyone look at Mowbray the past couple of months and say "He looks like he wants to be here"? never clear cut imo and as for Radio Newcastle United, I don't listen to it or read what they say. For the Sunderland pundits that go on there, it must be like a Sunderland fan sitting in a pub in Newcastle taking about football while the Newcastle fans sit there with a smug look on their faces and you just know they're taking the piss out of you.

smithy in nl and John 11:35 like this.
  17. Culinary

You should watch the video, it’s really good and covers a lot of that. ‘Five reasons Mowbray was sacked’ or something like that on YouTube.

Our shot conversion is inevitably low though when most are from distance with 9 opposition players in front of the ball.

WorkyTicketFTM likes this.
  18. WorkyTicketFTM

Yeah that’s definitely the issue mate teams are just playing behind the ball and it’s difficult for even the best teams in the world to break teams down at time never mind a load of inexperienced young lads. Hopefully new ideas from a new manager will help us break teams down

Culinary likes this.
  19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I don’t believe the club would bullet the gaffer when we 3 points of playoffs and then say ‘but we ain’t doing anything to improve the team in January’

As Smug says though, we shouldn’t need more player bar that elusive experienced DM if we can and maybe a CB on a short term deal.

I don’t know what the craic was with strikers. We ended up with a bunch of them and short of buying a journeyman it’s not like we were shopping for Watkins or Tammy Abraham. I don’t know what Mowbray expected there when even on here as fans speculating we couldn’t say ‘that one’. There’s very slim pickings for strikers right now even right at the top end of market.

I’ve seen a player in Rusyn. I’ve seen a player in Mayenda. In Burstow early games and in Hemir pre season before disgraceful handling by the manager and treatment from some of the fan base.

This is a proper club with a very, very solid playing staff. Weaker and far less balanced sides had gone up in the last 2-3 years from this league.

20. WorkyTicketFTM

Just had a watch there and have to say there’s not a lot I disagree with. That first segment about through balls and early crosses (or lack of) into the box is bang on.

Culinary likes this.