1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tommy "The Doc" Docherty Passes Away

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Tommy Docherty passed away at the age of 92 yesterday.

A manager of Manchester United, he was before my time and many others on here. Maybe only @Diego who has memories of United under him?

From what I understand from those who are from that era, after Busby and Fergie, United played their best, most exciting football under The Doc. This during a period when the team got relegated and came storming back and finished 3rd in Division 1.

R.I.P. <peacedove>

cytrax and Diego like this.
  2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Never really got the Docherty **** fest at the time, although admittedly i was very young when he was manager.

He's the first manager I actually remember, and it's more him getting sacked for knobbing the physios wife that I remember than anything else.

The first match I ever recall sitting watching was the 76 cup final. We lost.

The 77 one was nice too though so I suppose he has some success.

Tbh I think he was an arse of a man but shouldn't hold that against him, he's held in esteem for many.

RIP Doc.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Hell of a snooker player though.

Treble likes this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh I need to give my head a wobble for that!

Chief likes this.
  5. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I remember him and his teams very well. They played with adventure and panache. But they were inconsistent. Could beat any team especially the RS the consistently solid team of the time but could also lose to any of the lower ranked ones.

United was relegated under him but the team in the second division was one of the strongest and one of the most exciting in all divisions. I remember Coppell and Hill as true wingers destroying the opposition in a 4-2-4 system! That team was so good that I honestly thought it could beat most of the top division teams of the time. Docherty was sacked for a personal non football issue but he brought the really exciting football which fans grew accustomed to.

RIP Doc.

Treble and Diego like this.
  6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I certainly do remember The Doc, we played some fantastic under him and i genuinely believe would have won the league if he had stayed.

Treble likes this.
  7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Big Ron was similar I thought. Was a cup winning manager, rather than league winning.

We played some absolutely superb football under him, had a first 11 as good as anyone's.

Could never quite push us on to win the league though.

Robbo, McGrath and Remi being so injury prone didn't help. If those three were always available we'd have won one.

Diego likes this.