1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

TOMA Again?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Whitejock, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

This article is generating serious discussion on WACCOE. Whaddya think?

ANDREA RADRIZZANI INTERVIEW

Andrea Radrizzani: New Qatar investor ‘can get Leeds up to level of Man City’

Andrea Radrizzani tells Martyn Ziegler that he is considering three offers for stake in club

Martyn Ziegler, Chief Sports Reporter
    October 14 2019, 12:01am, The Times

please log in to view this image

Radrizzani insists that whatever happens at Leeds he wants to remain involvedDANIEL HAMBURY/PA
    Save
    Leeds United celebrate 100 years of existence this week and at this pivotal moment their owner has revealed he is considering an offer from Qatar to take the club to a level where they could “compete with Manchester City”.

The biggest sleeping giant in English football has already stirred. If Andrea Radrizzani, their owner, goes through with the sale of a stake in the club to Qatari Sports Investment (QSI) or two other rich investors then it could be time to write a new chapter in the giant’s fairytale.

“I’m giving you more information than I ever gave to anyone,” says Radrizzani, over coffee in a Leeds hotel. The Italian says he views himself as a custodian of the club, and that bringing in abig investor would help to achieve his vision of taking Leeds to the very top of the beanstalk.

Qatar looks to be in pole position — QSI is run by Nasser al-Khelaifi, the president of Paris Saint-Germain, and a close friend from when Radrizzani’s previous firm, MP & Silva, was selling football TV rights and Khelaifi was buying them for beIN Sport. He will not reveal the identities of the other two under consideration, other than to say that one is a hugely wealthy Leeds fan based in the United States and the other the owner of an unidentified Italian club.

“I have been approached by more than 20 parties and I have selected these three,” Radrizzani says.

“The option of Qatar Sports Investment and Nasser — first of all they are friends, we have had a good relationship for a long time. Secondly, they have the possibility to bring this club to compete with Manchester City, so for the fans that could be a fantastic opportunity.

“The second is based in America, he’s a big fan of Leeds United since he was a child, and I like that.

“Another one is the owner of an Italian club. With another club you can create synergy to be more competitive and to target the Premier League — we could maybe get a loan to increase the quality of the team.”

Radrizzani, who bought Leeds in instalments of £20 million in December 2016 and £25 million in May 2017, does not rule out selling a majority stake but insists that whatever happens he wants to remain involved.

“The most important thing for me is to make this club big again,” he says. “When I will open the door to others I don’t know, hopefully when we are in the Premier League. The financial support would be more important in the Premier League.

“When it will be done, it doesn’t matter which share [I have], it matters that I can continue my project and also have the support to build this club back again.

Radrizzani said Bielsa’s rigorous methods were just what were needed to sort Leeds outARRON GENT/JMP/REX
    L’appetito vien mangiando, as we say in Italy — appetite comes while you are eating. I don’t need to sell but it is important to listen because I always remember I am a custodian of the club. If it was my own business I would treat it a bit differently.”

Many figures from Leeds’s past, including from the glory days of the 1970s, will be invited back to Elland Road to celebrate the centenary on Saturday, when Birmingham City visit. Talk of the 1970s prompts Radrizzani to say “Dirty Leeds!” before adding: “We try to clean up the image of the club and I think that’s the right approach for the next generation. At the same time we need to keep the graft and passion of that team.”

There have been mighty changes at Leeds in the 2½ years since he took full control. He bought the stadium back in 2017, 13 years after it had been sold to reduce debt, and the next step is a new training base and academy, a stone’s throw from Elland Road. In 2017, there were only two academy players playing for national teams at youth level; now there are 14.

Appointing Marcelo Bielsa, the talismanic Argentine manager — and persuading him to stay after promotion proved elusive — was also a declaration of intent.

Radrizzani is open about the financial implications, saying: “It is very expensive, I invested over £90 million — with this level of money you could own a Europa League club in most of the European leagues, including Italy.

“The club makes losses, in this league it is impossible not to. We are still paying the consequences of my first year because I was inexperienced and we made some expensive mistakes with players.

“But we haven’t stopped investing. Bielsa and his staff cost £6 million [a year], we bought many other players and I think we have a squad to be promoted. It’s financially not sustainable to keep this level of salary which is now over £30 million, probably £33 million with Marcelo and closer to £40 million with the coaches.”

To get Bielsa, 64, was a coup — he is vastly experienced, including lengthy spells in charge of the Argentina and Chile national teams. His rigorous coaching methods, says Radrizzani, were just what were needed to sort Leeds out.

After starting the season unbeaten in seven matches, Leeds wobbled going into the international break with defeats away to Millwall and Charlton Athletic on successive Saturdays, but they remain just two points off top spot.

“We needed to set a culture of work ethic, when I arrived we were living in mediocrity,” Radrizzani added. “Finding a man like him [Bielsa], who some people might say is fixed in the methodology of 20 years ago, was needed. He was fascinated by the challenge, as I was.”

Radrizzani has been a fierce critic of the Football League for allowing owners of other Championship clubs to buy their own stadiums via another company to get past financial fair play [FFP] rules, and he reveals that he was approached by Middlesbrough to take part in their legal action against the league on the issue.

“The rules were not written in a way to avoid a conflict of interest and to shortcut FFP — 100 per cent it should change, it needs to be clear for the future,” he says. “Middlesbrough approached us to sue about the other clubs. In principle I agreed with them but decided not to do it because I wanted to focus on the football.”

Instead, it was Leeds who found themselves in breach of rules last season over the Spygate scandal, which led to a £200,000 fine after Bielsa sent an employee to watch Derby County training. That is now in the past, says Radrizzani, and has brought Leeds closer together. “We have a lot of haters, and that was a great occasion to come against us. It made us stronger and we are very proud to have haters.”

As to Leeds being a sleeping giant, Radrizzani says the slumber is over: “He’s awake. Now he has to make more noise.”

2. brisbane-lion

brisbane-lion Well-Known Member

You can't buy success.

3. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

Of course you can

ristac and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

All makes sense to me

5. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Italian club owner mentioned. Cellini surely making a comeback

6. brisbane-lion

Well, Leeds would, 'cause they have to, at least try. <laugh><laugh>

7. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Money may not be sufficient, but it is necessary.

In the long term, anyway. Short term I agree the trend can be bucked but longer term you need money. It’s true you can throw money around and fail, I’ll give you that, but clubs with no money do not get to the top - and stay there, which is the crucial bit.

8. lifecheshirewhite

Of course you can, how do you think a two Bob club like millwall are playing two leagues above their level.

9. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

And doesn’t he also live in America <whistle>

10. Eireleeds1

He lives wherever his yachts parked <ok>

11. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Joking aside, this was mentioned before the season started and I said that French football journalist Julien Laurens stated that the QSI takeover will definitely happen, it was just a question of when.

ristac and Eireleeds1 like this.
  12. Eireleeds1

And the sooner the better, we've wasted enough time already

13. brisbane-lion

Same as Leeds, on talent, except Millwall has a bit more of it than Leeds, 'specially when the ferret botherers come south.

14. lifecheshirewhite

It's called bribing the ref, and falling over blades of grass, as you say up north we are a bit more manly.

Irishshako likes this.
  15. brisbane-lion

I didn't say that, Chesh. Why would I? It ain't true. I've never accused Leeds of bribery and if you fall over your grass it's because it's too long, caused by you having too much rain and not enough money to pay staff to keep it cut. As we say over here, "You're a Bondi lot". Bondi? That's far from Manly. (Local joke) <doh>

16. lifecheshirewhite

Yes you did say it, you've just forgotten how to speak English, like what we does.
    We have plenty of grass cutters, and even have sprinklers, no I don't mean peeing on the pitch.

17. 2020VisionofLeeds

It’s amazing how many thick people there are that cause misunderstandings with Chesh ;)

18. lifecheshirewhite

Most is just banter, there's only you who's genuinely thick. :grin:

19. Ringo Lion

Ringo Lion Pumpkin

Chesh we have about three or four dodgy penalties against us over a season of which we will have a bit of a moan about it for a day or two then look forward to the next game. You get a decision go against you and ten days later you’re still going on about it, at the end of the day your sideways possession football got you nowhere as your players wasn’t up to it on the day.

20. 2020VisionofLeeds

You’re a real mate <ok>

lifecheshirewhite likes this.