1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Todays Game

Discussion in 'Aberdeen' started by Fyvie's Ginger Bits, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Fyvie's Ginger Bits

Fyvie's Ginger Bits New Member

First time poster on here, went on to BBC this morning and 606 had already gone! How's this site been going?

Anyway, what are the thoughts for todays match? Would love a convincing win but I'd take the Dunfermline game again if it gets us through to the semi's.

I'll stick my neck out and go for 2-0, Maguire and Jack. COYR.

2. ex-german exile

Firstly, welcome. Secondly, I can still access BBC 606 so I don't think its gone yet.

There are about a dozen Killie fans and quite a few OF on here, but very few others as far as I can tell. The Killie Boys only moved as we shifted our predictor league here. Think things will liven up when 606 finally goes. Its a lot more flexible than 606 and a lot less moderation, so if you are easily offended stay off of general chat.

Finally, I expect the Dons to win today by the odd goal.
    Nice to see Maguire hitting similar form for you as he found during his loan spell last season.

3. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

Hello Fyvie, welcome to not606.

I can only think of three other Aberdeen fans on here – four, if I include myself – and things seem pretty quiet at the moment. I said it to someone else a few days ago, but I’m hopeful there will be an influx when the BBC site closes down (which it still hasn’t, incidentally).

We are treated like adults here, thankfully, and moderation is light – outright racism being the most obvious example of unacceptable behaviour – and so anything pretty much goes.

You may be able to imagine, of course, that this has its ups and downs. I’ve found myself wailing with enjoyment at some of the more vile exchanges, for example, and yet simultaneously feel a creeping irritation that nearly all of the threads in “General Chat” are hijacked in some way or another. It can become a bit tiring and samey, right enough, although this problem is clearly by no means unique to this particular site.

Celtic and Rangers fans dominate the Scottish boards, unsurprisingly, and cross-party sniping is fairly widespread. If you’ve ever seen this stuff on any other forum, though, then you’ll hardly need an introduction or explanation. It’s just the same old same old, really, with added swear words. (This in no way diminishes from the weird enjoyment garnered from watching these things explode.)

Aberdeen to win 2-1 today. Even after the blip against Dundee Utd in midweek, I still feel they’ll do it and will cruise elegantly into the next round. Famous last words…..

4. Fyvie's Ginger Bits

Thanks guys, I'll stick with it and see if it livens up a bit. Hopefully there will be some good discussion and banter on here and not so much of the 'our lot is better than your lot' that if often came down to on 606.

germanexile - Brown has obviously got Maguire enjoying his football and playing him to his strengths more. He's got bags of potential but can be so frustrating sometimes. Hopefully he can get more consistant as he gets older and we get a good couple of seasons out of him.

Psycho - It's not been the most elegant half an hour so far! Still plenty of time for them to find some cutting edge though. We could so with moving the ball a bit quicker, seem to be a bit predictable in the final third at the minute.

5. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

Hmm. True.

I think, however, that when I said that Aberdeen would “cruise elegantly” into the next round, Fyvie, I was probably simply confusing the words “cruise elegantly” with the words “stumble haphazardly after a replay”. Either way, I am hampered in making any worthwhile assessments of their performance, unfortunately, as I had to “watch” the game unfold via text updates on the BBC. An excruciating exercise.

As for the other thing: definitely stick with the site. All things considered – and purely in my personal, very subjective opinion – it seems to be the best substitute for the BBC’s outgoing 606.

Freedom of expression always comes at a cost, of course, and part of living in a free society is the (glad) acceptance that we may occasionally be offended or offensive, but I feel you can quickly learn which posters are to be avoided at all costs. The rest is pretty easy.

Good luck!

6. Fyvie's Ginger Bits

I think “stumble haphazardly after a replay” is being a bit kind! The first half was not spectacular but at least we looked comfortable and slightly the better side if anything but the second half was awful. How we were able to get a draw out of it I'll never know, St Mirren should have been three or four up by then.

I think the last couple of games go to show that however well Brown and Knox have done since they came in they have got a lot to do in the close season. I just hope Milne will back them financially too....