1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Today @ Stevenage..are we going to defend the indefensible?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by WINDYROG, Nov 7, 2015.

1. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Shocking result today and all our weaknesses laid bare. Ok......well done Stevenage but how many places are they below us?

Not good enough, no depth to the squad and rapidly becoming a 'one trick pony' team too reliant on one or two players that might not be with us for too much longer.

Yep....a tad hacked off. :-(

Thoughts and suggestions?

2. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

bad result but could benefit Gills in the long run. We will have Wright Dack and Lennon back for Bury so expect we will do better with them in the team. Oshiliaja could be back soon aswell. Will need a bigger striker with those long balls though. Try and get a youngster from prem on loan. Come on Justin must be another Kane at spurs.

3. WINDYROG

The manager has got to have the balls and the determination to push forward. Saying that 'we're punching above our weight' is a 'cop out' and preparing us for the inevitable slide down the table.

No....we're not prepared to accept mediocrity......there are plenty of other managers that can 'deliver' that.

You want to succeed and improve your CV and your marketability.....OK no problems with that.....but do the job that you were hired to do.......losing 3-0 at Stevenage is a disgrace and you, JE, cary the ultimate responsibility.

Just one question..........who or what is Ben Williamson?

JE, your worst day as a GFC manager.......let us hope that it is not a sign of things to come.

4. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Windyrog
    Re Williamson - He is one of the most humble footballers you could ever meet. The man is modesty personified - you'd never catch him boasting that he is the best footballer in the world - better than Messi -- ( a recent quote from a very shy player, about whom you'd struggle to find on Goggle ).

5. WINDYROG

Ronaldo......can't deny his skills and talent, a totally different kettle of fish to Messi.

My references to Williamson were to highlight the circumstances under which he came to Priestfield and the level of expectation that came with him.

I really would like him to succeed and deliver. I only know of his previous and non prolific record, which in our currently 'difficult' position due to injuries and suspensions is unlikely to provide a solid solution.

He may be the nicest guy in the universe but football is now (unfortunately) a business and we need someone who can deliver the goods.

The cracks are appearing....and time marches on, do we want this season to be one of what could have been?

6. alwaysright

Windyrog
    A more 'seriouis' answer to your query -is that Williamson was a team mate of Loft ( at Port Vale ) - and undoubtedly it was Loft who influenced the acquisition of such a (non) prolific goal scorer.
    Like I said in another thread - when we played at Vale Park earlier this season, their fans told us he was a donkey. ( I don't think that they meant he was well hung ! )

7. brb

brb CR250

Whelps scored, expected and as i predicted he would, and Gnanduillet (Loan) was already a threat before we even turned up, so why are we surprised!

Dack was out (what we going to do when he goes), Wright was out, Cody well i aint saying a word!

8. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Whelpdale didn't score as their number 33 Kennedy took the definitive header to put it in. The midfield were woeful on Saturday with the exception Osadebe who did all he could to get something in our favour. You can't blame either Rory or Cody for not scoring purely on the basis they didn't have any supply until Garmston came on.

Overall though, an extremely poor game by our standards.

9. brb

brb CR250

oh don't tell me....Cody was waiting for the ball again <whistle> Let's blame everyone but boy wonder :)

10. The Gills PegLeg

Brb, who do you suggest we play instead of Cody? Norris is injured and was sat amongst the fans on Saturday and Williamson seems to run around like a headless chicken just as Gary Mulligan used to do. Rory also didn't score or do anything of note until late on in the game after we had started playing attacking football in the 88th minute. If you say play one up front then you are pretty much nullifying Rory's ability aswell as he's the type of striker that will also need a partner.

Without you being there, it's hard to explain just how little Rory and Cody had in terms of supply because of how considerably poor the defence and midfield were from even moving the ball out of our half.

Although we did lose 3-0. It certainly wasn't the strikers who conceded the goals.

11. WINDYROG

The whole team and management have to carry the can for Saturday's debacle. I hope the matter is sorted before Saturday and we can return to the type of football played at the beginning of the season. No 'goofball' and a couple of other players brought in to a) increase the depth b) increase the competition for places.
    When that shirt goes on and the players cross the line (referring to another post) the fans have every right to expect 100% in terms of effort, belief and passion.

12. alwaysright

so, what are you saying - that 57% effort isn't acceptable ?

13. WINDYROG

Absolutely......if I only put in 57% of effort in my job I could only expect 57% in renumeration....... or am I completely missing something here?

If we were happy with the kind of result that Saturday served up, perhaps a 43% discount for tickets should be forthcoming to allow for the deficiency?

I did put in 'hoofball' in my reply but the wretched spell checker got me!

14. alwaysright

I think 'goofball' is more appropriate - you may have started something !

15. brb

brb CR250

It wasn't Gills strikers that scored them either my friend LOL

Like i've said before, it's up to Cody to prove me wrong and then i will do my usual and start praising the lad, but i'm not going to get all electric like some supporters if he scores the odd goal, it's what he is paid to do and so far he ain't delivering for his role.

As for replacement, depends how much money we get for Dack, then Cody can go back to Norwich or Coventry or even remain on our own bench as a seat warmer ;)

16. The Gills PegLeg

As I said in my previous post, neither Cody nor Donnelly were really given anything to work with to even produce a shot. You should know by know, none of our strikers really have the ability to pick the ball up in midfield and run most of the pitch past every defender to stick it in the net. Even Rory's beautiful chip earlier in the season was on the counter attack. Our strikers therefore need some sort of feed, if they aren't getting the ball in attacking position, then they are sure as hell going to score any sort of goal from 40 yards out.

All the while we only have 3 fit strikers available, Donnelly and Cody seems the natural pairing because they have goals in them. If you don't think Cody does, look at our record high goalscorers list, he's in our top 10.

17. brb

brb CR250

So we keep players now for history momento's...;)

18. WINDYROG

Could reprise the immortal words from the Supertramp song...."Aint much of a girlfriend, but she's the only one I've got"...........substituting 'girlfriend'.

Might seem harsh..... :)