1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic To all you Labour voters and other lefties

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by stonkin, May 6, 2015.

1. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

Tax cuts - How they really work

Sometimes Politicians can exclaim; "It's just a tax cut for the rich!", and it is just accepted to be fact. But what does that really mean? Just in case you are not completely clear on this issue, we hope the following will help.

Tax Cuts - A Simple Lesson in Economics

This is how the cookie crumbles. Please read it carefully.

Let's put tax cuts in terms everyone can understand. Suppose that every day, ten men go out for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to £100.

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

· The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.

· The fifth would pay £1.

· The sixth would pay £3.

· The seventh £7.

· The eighth £12.

· The ninth £18.

· The tenth man (the richest) would pay £59.

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.

"Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by £20."

So, now dinner for the ten only cost £80. The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes.

So, the first four men were unaffected. They would still eat for free. But what about the other six, the paying customers? How could they divvy up the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share'?

The six men realized that £20 divided by six is £3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being 'PAID' to eat their meal.

So, the restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:

· The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).

· The sixth now paid £2 instead of £3 (33% savings).

· The seventh now paid £5 instead of £7 (28% savings).

· The eighth now paid £9 instead of £12 (25% savings).

· The ninth now paid £14 instead of £18 (22% savings).

· The tenth now paid £49 instead of £59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to eat for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a quid out of the £20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man "but he got £10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a quid, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than me!"

"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back when I got only £2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!" The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore. There are lots of good restaurants in Europe and the Caribbean.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    Millwallsteve, xbpod and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

When the 10th man shoots off abroad his share of the bill is passed back down the line, so someone who wasn't paying now ends up paying <applause>

3. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Labour will tell you exactly what they think you want to hear.

4. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

The Tories never tell the ordinary decent fair person on the street anything they want to hear.

5. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Chippy, you're a prat. Love 'em or loathe 'm, the Tories have just spent the last 5 years clearing up the mess left by the last Labour Govt. The economy is moving forward. More people are now in work than has been the case for ages. Not everything is perfect. But we're a darn sight better off than we were 5 years ago. Heaven help us if Labour get back in, even more so given that they would be in hock to a party whose very existence is to break up the Union

Millwallsteve and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  6. lifecheshirewhite

Let him fook off the caribbean,share out the massive wage he was on and everyone can pay there own share.Lets face it the poor men probably earned the rich guy all his money and he exploited them to become rich.<whistle>

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  7. dbc

dbc Well-Known Member

Love em or Loathe'm the Tories have actually just spent the last 2 years clearing up the mess that the Tories spent the first 3 years of this parliament creating.

I have to admit I'm not a economist but here are the thoughts of a selection of leading economists and a common trend occurs. An admittance that the economic crisis wasn't Labour's fault and that George Osborne's initial Plan A for Austerity has slowed our economic recovery.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomchivers/what-do-economists-think-of-the-coalitions-economic-record

8. Chippy / Glory

Why the need to throw the insult?

Deficit up.
    Zero hours contracts up
    Bedroom tax up
    Tuition fees up
    Disability benefits down
    Growth falling

Yep, a record to be proud of.... Can't see why the Tories aren't 50 points ahead. <doh>

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  9. lifecheshirewhite

The tories have spent the last 5 years,taking lots of money out of the poors pocket and putting it in the pocket of the rich.That's a fact the poor have got much poorer and the rich have got much richer and the economy that the rich tory bankers fooked up is still fooked.David cameron said we all have to do our bit,why arn't the rich doing their bit,he said he would cut back imigration,he's trebled it,If i had results like his in my job I would be sacked,so my vote will be to sack the total failure cameron.<whistle>

OLOF and Chippy / Glory like this.
  10. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Strange how some got a dollar back and others ten quid?
    Were some of them non doms?
    <laugh>

11. stonkin

Damn Yanks!

12. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Where did you learn that then, Boggers? Tory election broadcast? It's absolute bollocks. I posted this on another thread for Leeds60. Looks like you have to read it too. In fact, don't read it - just look at the 3 graphs. And note that this was published in the Torygraph, not a redtop!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...he-national-debt-monster-in-three-charts.html

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  13. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Feck me. We can't agree on the best leeds manager, politics is way out of our depths

14. Whitejock

Not at all. In Nicola we trust! :D

15. Leedsoflondon

Who's she? Sounds foxy :)

16. Chippy / Glory

vat up
    Inequality up
    Green Fuel levy up
    Immigration up
    Local government services down
    Armed

Feck me, it should be a Tory landslide
    Wit
    Google wee Jimmy Krankie

17. Leedsoflondon

Sounds like that could lead to a whole heap of trouble!!

18. stonkin

Whitejock, you are quite right to point out this article. As Farage has pointed out many times, the current government has "maxed-out the credit cards" over the last few years. However the plan will eventually reduce the deficit over the next 5 years. Labour will not reduce the deficit, they have even admitted it but just not in plain English to try and hide the fact.

19. Whitejock

Think you perhaps misunderstand the terminology, Stonkin. The tories have already reduced the defecit - it's the debt that they've doubled! If they owed a loan shark they'd have lost their kneecaps years ago!

20. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

I'll be glad when this election bollox is over,
    Couldn't give a flying ****
    Then we can back to slating cellino or not,
    Slating the loans,or not
    Etc etc,

BoggersMOT, bucks_is_leeds and xbpod like this.