1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time to wind up brb !

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Jan 12, 2017.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38262547

Don't bother to read it all ( unless you want to ) -

It mentions 10,000 people attending a stadium in Brazil to watch a video football match !.....................

I might embrace technology to assist referees a little more than brb - but you won't see me at Priestfield, watching somebody twiddling their thumbs ! - other than JE, Stimson, McCammon, JE-T ................ other suggestions welcomed for this list ?

would anyone of you lot turn out for a video game ?

2. brb

brb CR250

Hope it was an all seater stadium and they had the yellow jacket brigade on patrol in case the game master dropped his control and caused a riot. And hope they had the latest technology on hand for a video replay of a video game for a decision on if the ball crossed the line hehe

alwaysright likes this.
  3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

yes would turn up if Gills were playing big club or final and could not get ticket and was not on telly.

4. alwaysright

gioblues --- you do realise we're talking about a video game --- NOT actually physically playing on grass --- although some might not know the difference when it comes to GFC !

5. brb

brb CR250

Yeah and even that is changing!....the grass i mean...if they have to play on grass they start crying about getting wet & covered in mud.

6. alwaysright

brb
    I don't suppose that your computor is powered by an elastic band, and I know you don't walk to Priestfield - so - you do embrace modern 'advances' that can make life easier.
    Whilst I am also fairly 'traditional' in most things, I am not averse to improvements. I place most importance on honesty - either in the application of rules or effort by the 'tradesperson' to whom I am giving good money. Therefore I don't have a problem with synthetic pitches - and - G3, G4 pitches may become more cost effective for smaller clubs - who may then not need additional land for training, and could 'rent out' the pitch to local organisations for sport & leisure events - ( with obvious care for the playing surface - something that wouldn't be practical on actual grass ).

On a similar subject ( and with the thread title in mind ), you may have heard that Spurs are building a new stadium. Chelsea have had planning approval for a new ground. Everton have plans for a new, larger ground. Even AFC Wimbledon are soon to return 'home' in a shiny new stadium. And, of course, dear old Gillingham have plans ( allegedly ), for new premises..................... In ALL of these ventures I have seen no mention of 'safe standing.'

Human nature will always lend itself to different opinions and priorities. I've mentioned honesty as being paramount - that still remains - but I'm glad I live in an age with electricity and water on tap - and other modern comforts.

I actually like the concept of properly constructed 'safe standing' areas, and I am a little surprised that the clubs (above), moving into new grounds, have not incorporated safe standing areas. I would expect that they have sought Government advice as to the likelihood of future permission -- and been told "NO". Whilst not all change is good, I personally feel safe standing and synthetic pitches are not bad.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. brb

brb CR250

Not sure why, and i cannot prove it, but for some reason i thought the Chairman had promised us safe standing at the new ground, I actually thought he was an advocate of it.

Please don't sue me PS, just saying what i thought <ok>

In regards to synthetic pitches, I think the reason i dislike them, probably is not so much to do with the surface itself, but more so to do with that kids and coaches also want it for their practise areas, there is nothing wrong with enduring water & mud and i hate to see pampering, and i've even seen it at professional level....oh dear i've got a bit dirty, they need to grow some balls.

8. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Well with regards to the new stadium, our CEO Steve Waggott has now stepped down into a football consultancy role for us to move forward with the planning applications for the new ground. Waggott was the main brain behind Charlton's redevelopment of the Valley a few years back so he does actually have experience in this field in terms of community stadiums.