1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time to Walk the Walk

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by pirate49, Sep 17, 2011.

1. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Buckle can talk the talk and in pre-season we saw promise of a good season ahead.
    There was shape, pattern, commitment and energy.
    However since the season started we have not played convincingly. There's no width,
    our pace has dropped and we're by-passing midfield. We're miles away from being a 'footballing' side.
    With due respect, and I'll say it before the WUMs arrive, if we're losing at home to Aldershot then any talk of promotion is nonsense.
    We lost to the better side today, and we were bereft of ideas.
    We've got a huge influx of players and Campbell is still MoM !
    Mid-table mediocrity looms if we carry on like this.

2. Rhinestone Gashead

PB's interview says we need to be a bit more realistic ... well sorry Mr PB, I for one would like just a smidgen of football for my money. I went to Bradford and thought we played a good "away" game, Shrewsbury played us off the park footballing wise - but we scored the goal. I can understand that confidence plays a large part of it - but in my eyes we are going backwards, and it's hard to see where the quality is gonna come from. If we are served up more of the dross that was on display today then PB and the team will lose a lot of supporters and confidence will drop along with attendances. Several times today Aldershot had the ball and were playing keep ball around our penalty box and we were chasing shadows - no one got near. I can't remember the last time a ball was played down the channels on the deck or a winger actually got wide and beat his man. I am a Gashead through and through, but today for me the display was unacceptable - the stats says we had something like 10 shots on target - but how many of those were actually goal chances. I am at this moment a deflated, dissapointed gas fan ..... but I WILL be there against Cheltenham (I cant make Maccelsfield), and I will be hoping for a vast improvement!

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

promises were made by bucks now he says we need to be realistic. well based on his promises, attractive attacking football as shown in pre-season, we have every right to be optimistic. but yes buckle, we will have to 'start being realistic' with the tactics your using!

4. uncle grahams barmy army

hahahahaha champions? your avin a laugh!champions? your avin a laugh! champions? your avin a laugh! champions? your avin a laugh! champions? your avin a laugh! champions? your avin a laugh! champions? your avin a laugh! champions? your avin a laugh!

5. uncle grahams barmy army

oh chris gashead eat your words!!!!!!

6. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

well i shall be a little more concilitory, no banter is required. things are serious but not critical.league 2 is a difficult year for promotion, and after relegation, in hindsight it was perhaps asking a lot to bounce straight back. this may be a season of consolidation. it is for the gas supporters to decide if they have the right manager and squad to get them up the league.

at least the gas do not have to worry about the other end of the league as up to 4 teams are in a headlong dive

7. Rhinestone Gashead

AJ - it is not so much about winning and losing the games, it is about the manner in which they are played. PB spoke about attack, flair, wing play excitement - I could stand losing if there was some of that on offer - however it seams to be totally void of any football at the moment and the standard is droping very fast. I went with my son-in-law and 2 grand daughters ( 6 & 5 years old) yesterday - £56 to get in the Blackthorne end - I don't remember getting excited once by any of the Rovers play - maybe towards the end ... it was hoofball of the highest quality! Things aint right at the moment, the honeymoon period is well and truely over and yesterday was the first time that PB mentioned the crowd in a sort of negative way - think he needs to look at the video of the game and tell me if he would be happy paying for and watching that! He has asked for more realism from the crowd - well he and his players were the ones spouting about play offs and promotion etc! Time to start delivering I think!

8. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ah, how did you get on against us on tuesday, did you win. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

9. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I think the name of the game is staying in touch and then building towards the business end of the season. Most of the sides in the top six or seven will hit a rocky patch at some point and some will fall away.

I don't think Buckle and his new squad are doing too badly at all, all things considered.I don't think we've seen the best, settled line up from this new squad.

10. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

Time to walk the plank :(

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i did say when he was appointed that i think we could of got a better manager with more experience. i also pointed out although i thought he wasnt the best appointment, as he was now in charge, i would give him 100% support. however after the signing we made and the promises he made, i changed my mind and thought he was the best appointment and was very confident.
    now with the kuffour and stanley situations, and he keeps playing players out of positions like having mcgleish who is 38 out on the left wing <doh> and having players who did well in pre season like carayol only playing 5 mins here and there. broken promises such as attractive attacking football and having out and out wingers, instead they play hoofball and have wingers on the bench!
    i now feel let down by buckle especially after his interview about us fans. sorry buckle but if you keeo this up, not only will you be losing my support, you will lose your job too. obviously the gas job may be to big for you.

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

14. Mangadoogas

Mangadoogas Member

I think PB needs to treat the Gas fans with a little more respect. The ironic cheers when we managed to string 4 passes together should have told him that we will not except Hoofball. Why not come out and say sorry it was my fault. I set the team up wrong and played without wingers, and the winger i did play i put up front with Harrold. The promise of pre-season good form attacking wing play now seem a distant memory.

As for Rovers fans lowering their expectations!!! We are in the fourth tier of English football. We probably have the highest spending budget and all players were signed by PB. How much lower do we have go. The Chairman needs to give him a bitch slap for that comment.

I still feel the players put in a shift for the club, but the managers negative tactics cost us. We are the home side ffs, they should have been countering our set up not the other way round. This is made even worse when you have paid corporate for the last 3 years of dross because you love your club.

I have to say that PB was a breath of fresh air when he first started. He was tough with Joe and Stanley and seemed to say the right things. The board, the fans and the players could have seen what was wrong Saturday but not PB. I hope he finds it within himself to admit it was his set up of the players that was wrong.

Rant over!!!!

15. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Can anyone remember how bad we were the last time we went down? We're definitely in a much better place now.

It's tough for all the relegated sides, and I'm sure most teams raise their game for The Gas.

Give Buckle a chance. We're not exactly Brazil, League Two is a tough division to get out of, but I'm sure we'll be in the mix by the end of the season.

16. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Im glad I was in Cornwall and missed the game this week. Sounded every bit as poor as last season! I am already pissed off with hoof ball and its only 9 league games in!! Sort it out Buckle, or you will definately feel the pressure! This isn't Torquay you are talking about (no disrespect to Torquay) this is a huge city with fans who have been patient now for many a year, and our fans dont want an average league two side so pull your finger out and get on with it!! No excuses, if you cant deliver, you wont last long

17. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

excuse my invasion, but when a manager starts having a go at fans, the players and the pitch,i think it is time to get rid. peter reid, sacked yesterday by ridsdale is 5 times the stature of buckle far more knowledge of the game and a gentleman as well. i wish the gas all the best at morecambe though not with much confidence

18. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I knows youda like to ave a laff aj...but you make some serious points there.

He only arrived 'yesterday' but everyone's to blame but him. I was really enthused when he arrived but I'm worried now. However I'd still be pleased if my fears are unfounded, but...............................

19. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

IMO the way we are playing at the moment I can see nothing more than a mid table finish, I'm sorry but the performances so far have been average to poor at best, Buckle was brought in for one reason and that was to get us promoted not to build a squad and have a plan to get us out of the league in the next couple of seasons, I'm fed up of hearing Buckle keep saying the team needs time to gel and It's still early days, will he still say that if we are 15th come Christmas. The squad have been together since July for fook sake and why does he keep blaming the pitch it's the best it's looked in years. Sorry but IMO if he doesn't gets us promoted then he should as YOBG put it walk the plank.

20. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Reid would be decent I must be honest....