1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time to sell Mr. Scally ??

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Oct 10, 2021.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

.......Or, at least to 'offer' the Club for sale !

What Mr. Scally cannot continue to do - is to 'ignore' the growing undercurrent of 'ill-feeling' towards him....
    I know that he has 'responded' with a lot of 'bluff' to some of the more 'actionable' criticism that has been thrown his way --- but -- if he actually proceeds with his threat, he will attract even more bad publicity for The Gills ---------- and that will definitely increase next week - at the 'high profile' game against Sunderland...... where the Scally Out brigade will display the banner that is now being passed to a greater number of fans with a louder voice...

Mr. Scally has little options - if he has any interest in quietening the mood.... I am trying to guess what might placate the more vociferous of the dissenters of his regime... Would people be satisfied if he suddenly produced wads of cash to buy quality players - or would the same protesters say that they simply have had enough of his 'attitude' towards the fans........

.... Well, I can tell you - Mr. Scally isn't going to 'splash the cash' any time in my lifetime !.... So - does he 'ignore' the vitriol towards him ? Is he so thick-skinned ? Is he arrogant as to believe that the protestors only number one or two ?..... The volume of 'hate' for Scally at Adams Park yesterday, was definitely not from a lone voice !.....

Mr. Scally cannot continue to dismiss and ignore the protests ( even if he continues to ignore my telephone calls, emails and letters. ) He can and should respond....... Mr. Scally can call the 'bluff' of the protesters....Mr. Scally can tell the fans that he will 'go' ! I believe that Mr. Scally should sell the Club.

Mr. Scally has absolutely nothing to (personally) lose if he tells the fans that he is putting up the Club 'for sale,' This would (seemingly) be what the protesters wish - to see Mr. Scally to 'go.' By taking this action, it could be seen if there is anyone out there with any interest in taking over the ownership (( a-la-Newcastle)), and pump in a load of cash etc etc.............and Mr. Scally can be gone with loads of ( more ) money in his pocket --- presuming that he won't reject any offer of £ 300 Million, just because he might want £ 301 Million !!

If, as I suspect. there won't be anyone else interested in Gillingham Football Club, then - unless Mr. Scally then chooses to bring in the bulldozers - before the builders - then, it would seem that GFC will be 'stuck' with him - Mr. Scally can then turn to the fans ( or, at least - to the protesters ), and tell them to keep the banner safe - because toilet paper may again be in short supply before Christmas ................. and I do not see many other options or scenarios.

2. brb

brb CR250

But who would replace the chairman, I can't think of anyone that would want to buy the club, outside of a local business who would probably offer no where near the needed asking price.

We know time has previously be spent in Dubai, if we were to go the near-by route of Saudi Arabia I genuinly cringe, let alone we are no Newcastle or Man City, and do we really want to be owned by what would be no more than a state controlled business, and all the breach of human rights that come with that.

Some fans may want him out, but who do they think wants to own us, and what is the expectation, more L1 football, better the devil you know surely. Blackpool didn't end well, nor did Leyton Orient. Some might say but look at Brighton, all I can say is good luck with that, but if the name Staveley turns up I'm out.

alwaysright likes this.
  3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Balls !
    brb - you and I agree a lot on this matter..... I certainly am not happy with how things stand - both on and off the pitch.... I hope for better - but can see that things could easily be a lot worse.
    We are going through an awful time - on and off the pitch... Both Scally and Evans have made, and continue, to make mistakes - both on and off the pitch... I probably am more critical than the most vehement of the protesters - but - I can see the 'bigger picture.'... I touched on the sort of action that Scally could take if / when he gets really fed up with the hate he receives....
    I may not be happy with much of the 'politics' served up by Scally - but I recognise that he has manipulated the ownership of the Club in such a way that - if he decides to take his ball home when it's time to go in for tea, rather like the football kickabouts that I had as a small boy, the game is always ruled by the owner of the ball - and when his mum calls him home, the game ( Club ) is finished..... THAT is where we are...

Mr. Scally is the holder of the balls (( of us all ))

4. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

With regards to this subject I've always played better the devil you know card but even I have to admit to feeling rather depressed by the whole situation. I was happy with our performance against Lincoln on the first game of the season despite the antics that followed their goal, but have felt there's been little to smile about since.

There's no arguing the club's most successful period has been under the stewardship under the current chairman but we're coming up to nine years now of very little to shout about. Even my over positiveness can't be sustained and I feel like we've now caught ourself in a never ending cycle of much of the same. Whilst things have improved under Evans, for three consecutive seasons now we've started far too poorly which often costs us later in the season. I have no doubt this current squad can finish strongly, but once again we've given ourselves far too much to do and two men are responsible for that, messrs Evans & Scally. Evans for consistently changing the squad every five minutes which means it takes them six months to gel, and Scally for not affording the funds to be able to sign the players Evans wants. Add to that the communication from the club is becoming exceedingly worse with fans feeling continuously alienated, the mood around the club is worsening. I think I've said it before but the atmosphere is very reminiscent of the final days of Justin Edinburgh, arguably the last manager we had of any real quality to push us higher than we perhaps should be.

The mood in my opinion will only change when there's a change at the top and whilst Evans has his many faults, he's still arguably the best we can get at this level at the moment so then it falls down to the chairman. 26 years in charge of a football is relatively unheard of these days and perhaps there's good reason for that. Of course I don't expect a rich sheikh to come in and replace him but perhaps it's time to sell to someone with fresh ideas. If you're doing the same thing long enough day in and day out, it's quite easy to fall into routines that feel comfortable which is now impacting on the club.

I have no doubt the risks that can take shape from making a owner change, but you only have to look at Southend right now to see how bad things could get for us also. Ron Martin has been chairman there many years, seen plenty of success with them but now they're struggling in the Conference. It very much feels we're only a couple of years behind them at this rate.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021