1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time To Focus On Football

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Nads, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

As suggests, there’s been a lot of negativity and disappointment over the last few weeks, we’ll the break is over and it’s time to focus on what actually matters. The team.

Whats the thoughts on what the new gaffer has to do to get us moving? As always there will be several hundred lads travelling to Wycombe on Saturday and most will be a little deflated.

We have one part to play, to get behind and support the lads, we’ve done it well since Short went we don’t want to revert back to those days, 35th minute walk outs, booing, tension.

How should we set up? Who do we play.

I’m for restoring Grigg, with Watmore and Maguire wide, McG as a number 10 with O’Nien and Dobson behind providing both legs and cover.

Inclined to say give big Jon a couple more games in goal due to what he did last season.

We can get out of this league if we use what we have correctly.

2. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

I agree, we all have to pull together now.

I really wish we could find a system that has 2 up top, we seem to leave the centre forward so isolated from the bits I have seen and how it comes across on radio and from comments made by people that go to games.

BUT does having 2 up top leave us short in the middle? or by using having 2 up top can we press higher up?

3. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We could only realistically go 2 up top in this league with 5 at the back and wing back, but we don’t have 2 strikers that can play off each other for me.

There’s the option, if he stays fit, of using Watmore as a striker, we’ve never had a chance to see it but he could click with Wyke or Grigg and that could change the whole complexion going forward.

I don’t mind if we used O’Nien as a high RWB in that scenario, sit Leadbitter deep and let Dobson do the running. There’s a formula in there.

We need to get out of this cyclone of takeovers and ownership. We need to back and hope for Phil. We need out of the league.

Football has fallen by the wayside.

4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

That is definitely the only way to do two up front. Games are won and lost in midfield. You play 442 and a three man centre midfield can literally just play around you. Personally, I think your suggestion of playing McGeady as the 10 with Dobson and O'Nien as the 4 and 8 is the best way we can line up.

Nads likes this.
  5. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Watmore up top could potentially force teams to sit deeper as they will be worried about his pace getting in behind them, which would then naturally mean our whole team moving some 10/15 yards higher up. Could be a win win for us rather than sitting deep

6. The Norton Cat

That's a good shout. Is his finishing good enough, do we think?

7. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

They can both run all day and are interchangeable, gives us a bit of fluency potentially.

Watmore bagging 2 on his comeback, well that’s hopefully a sign he’s sharp.

Mind, I wouldn’t want him to play v Wycombe, there’s the mental aspect to consider after they kicked us off the park last season.

clockstander and The Norton Cat like this.
  8. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Does his finishing have to be top notch?

By making runs and the threat of him getting in behind should stretch the play, pull defenders out of position and give others space to exploit

Nads likes this.
  9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

That’s one good think with Watmore, he does find positions, something Grigg seems to lack.

Wyke does too mind, just the ball always gets there too late, might be an easy quick fix for Parky, earlier balls in. I don’t mean hoofs I mean play into channels and crosses.

The Norton Cat and Chunksafc like this.
  10. The Norton Cat

Well, if he's going to play up front on his own it would be helpful. As you say though, it's not essential.

11. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

**** me lads, we have cracked this!

Right who's getting hold of the club to tell them?

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Strikers can come good.

Marcus Stewart being a prime example, could hit a motorway with a lorry to start then left loved by all after bagging a load as we went up.

Pray for Grigg...

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think he's a canny finisher, seems to find the corners more than most. If he can stay fit and get a run I reckon he'd get quite a few. Got the predatory instinct too that we're lacking.

The Norton Cat and Nads like this.
  14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Let’s not forget the lad was looking every bit a Premier League player before the injuries started. He was one of our hopes.

A fit Watmore, even if he’s lost some pace as a result, would be easily one of the best players in this league and the Championship.

Nacho likes this.
  15. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

combining all of the above, we come up

quick balls into the channels for Watmore to collect
    Opposition centre half having to follow / track over
    leg it down the wing
    quick cross into the box
    Wyke or O Nein screaming in to get on the end of it
    Goal
    Fans go mental
    Opposition sit further and further back as they as piss frightened of getting done for pace down the channels

The Norton Cat, Nacho and Nads like this.
  16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

There’s Gooch as well, for all his hot and cold he does like the ball, does run at people, and does put balls in.

If there was actually anyone in the end of them, we may get somewhere.

Chunksafc likes this.
  17. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah and it wasn't just his pace it was his finishing and attacking instincts, fair play he's not the finished article but there's still time for that. He was playing as well as the likes of Khazri when we had that run with Sam.

Wouldn't look forward to having my arsehole clenching every time a defender slides in but what can you do he's got to play.

Nads likes this.
  18. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We’ve just gotta hope he stays fit. Gerrard was always injured as a young player, he had a reasonable career.

Nacho likes this.
  19. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Right that's me excited about the rest of the season.

Doesn't take much positivity to pull it round

20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We are first and foremost football fans.

Let’s talk about football. We are all ITK on this, as we all watch football, we all know what the players have.

Nozs’ Hat and Chunksafc like this.