1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Thursday 29th. July 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jul 28, 2021.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Thursday's Meetings

Stratford
    N/H 8 Races 1-00-5:00p.m.
    Nottingham
    Flat 7 Races 1:25-4:55p.m.
    Glorious Goodwood
    Flat 7 Races 1:50-5:20p.m.
    Galway Festival(E)
    N/H 8 Races 4:35-8:15p.m.
    Epsom(E)
    Flat 6 Races 6:00-8:35p.m.
    Newcastle(E)
    A/W 6 Races 6:25-8:55p.m.

Racecards
    At The Races
    Sporting Life
    Racing Post

Good Luck<ok>

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    #, Resurgam and karlos5001 like this.
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

Galway Hurdle

18,15 Annexation 14/1 e/w Sky seven places, PP and WH six

Grendel, SwanHills, # and 1 other person like this.
  3. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

7.45 Galway-Eimear

Each Way @ 25-1 [Skybet] 6 places

Caught my eye in her last run

Grendel, karlos5001 and # like this.
  4. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Been thinking about Ebro River for the Richmond since betting opened but decided to wait before playing. I was surprised they upped him to 6F for the Coventry, as he looked a 5F horse to me. Ran well for a long way in the Coventry and again in the July Stakes seemed to just find it too far.

If Ebro River is going to win over 6F then Goodwood might just be the place. I feel soft ground is an asset for him and I feel he can reverse form from Newmarket with favourite Asymmetric given the different ground and track this time. I am not seeing why the Palmer horse should be more than double the odds of the Meade colt.

Gubbass won the Super Sprint last time but this is tougher and he's an unknown on the surface. He could improve but needs to and is not a great price with a stone more probably required to bridge the gap to this level.

Perfect Power won the Norfolk last time but the form of that has been a bit mixed. This is an extra furlong today and also soft ground, compared to good to firm last time. He's a shade shorter than I feel the new factors should be allowing for.

I though Ebro River was the best value at 6/1. Hopefully he can be held up and delivered late to hit the line in front. Hugo Palmer is 7/23 for a shade over 30% strike rate.

2.25 Goodwood Ebro River 6/1

Saf, karlos5001, # and 3 others like this.
  5. gingerninja

gingerninja Well-Known Member

Been given Rufaafa 125 Nottingham tomorrow. He did tell me 2 weeks ago that she was working well at home, currently 3/1 as usual please don't shoot the messenger & GL if you play

Saf, LordGyllene, karlos5001 and 6 others like this.
  6. Grendel

The Gordon Stakes is tricky looking, with a few on recovery missions. Youth Spirit and Third Realm won Derby trials but did not fare so well in the race itself.

Wordsworth was third in the Irish Derby to Hurricane Lane but was a good way in arrears and again in the Grand Prix De Saint Cloud he was well behind the Godolphin colt when upgrading to a 2nd place in a race where the French challenge was embarrassingly pitiful yet again. Wordsworth seems to lack pace and a gruelling race on soft might help him. He's vying for favouritism here but I think he may be vulnerable to a finisher.

Yibir finally got his head in front last time but it wasn't a great contest. He has seemed to run disappointingly every time he has encountered soft and he has a 3 lb penalty here.

Youth Spirit also has the 3 lbs penalty and although you can often forgive a horse his Epsom effort, I thought it was as poor a Chester Vase that I can recall that Youth Spirit won. He won't mind the soft but I am not convinced his 111 rating is accurate.

Third Realm put in a strong looking run when accounting for Adayar in the Lingfield Derby Trial. Only Adayar has franked that form thus far but what a strong franking it has been. Third Realm didn't run to that level at Epsom, with Adayar turning around the form by twelve and a half lengths. He has form on soft though and if he bounces back I feel he is the one they have to beat as a colt who has defeated a two time group 1 winner but gets in without a penalty whereas other are penalised for having beaten much less talented rivals. Not great odds at 5/2 and I was looking for 3/1 but I feel he has to be the pick here.

3.00 Goodwood Third Realm 5/2

LordGyllene, karlos5001, # and 2 others like this.
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

Gin On Lime runs again tomorrow (Galway 17,45). 3-3 over fences but this race is by far the toughest to date. We shall see. 9/4 now.

8. Grendel

That looks a race that won't be hard to make a winning debut in. Dark Tulip looks poor value as favourite there. She ran OK on her second start but was poor last time and her OR is only 75. Not sure she wants 5F either.

Meredif is the interesting one for me. She was well backed to make a winning debut but finished only 9th of the ten runners. She took a false step and lost her action that day though and has been given a couple of months to get over that experience. I would like to see support for her in the morning to bolster confidence but feel it is worth the chance that they thought something of her and she just had a bad day at the office.

1.25 Nottingham Meredif 3/1

Good luck with your filly.

Saf, gingerninja, LordGyllene and 2 others like this.
  9. LordGyllene

LordGyllene Well-Known Member

Stratford 2.10 Blue N Yellow

Has run well on second run after a break in 2019 (won) and 2020 (2nd). On a career-low mark and stable's last runner has won.

Grendel, # and karlos5001 like this.
  10. LordGyllene

LordGyllene Well-Known Member

Stratford 3.55 Gaia Vallis

Backed this horse last time out when in with a chance of reaching a place at Uttoxeter but fell. Was supported in the market that day. David Bridgewater has won todays race 2 times in the last 10 runnings. Stable has a good each way record in handicap chases at Stratford over the last 5 seasons. First time headgear/tongue strap combo and Mitchell Bastyan taking off 3lb could eak out some improvement today.

Grendel, # and karlos5001 like this.

11. karlos5001

karlos5001 Well-Known Member

Good morning all. 4 singles and a little ew acca for me at Goodwood today.
    1.50 King Frankel win
    2.25 Ebro River win
    4.10 Already Gone ew
    4.45 Wilderness Girl win
    Have a good day all and good luck with yours :emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0167-beer:

Pilgrim, Grendel, SwanHills and 5 others like this.
  12. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

My TV picks today:

King Frankel - Will enjoy the ground and as long as he settles today should go close.
    Caturra - Should have won last race by a wider margin but for hanging left on the run-in. Improvement to come from the trainer who has won this the last twice.
    Third Realm - His defeat of Adayar on soft ground makes him the one to beat.
    Joan Of Arc - If the rain had have come down again, I would have went for Empress Josephine.
    Robasta - 3lb rise looks lenient for his last win and the extra furlong will hopefully bring out even more improvement. I like Baldings other horse in the race (Aldbourne) so rfc

Pilgrim, Grendel, SwanHills and 2 others like this.
  13. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Agree with most selections on here today.

The Nassau Stakes looks wide open though - tentative selection for LADY BOWTHORPE who has some good formlines and came very close at Newmarket.
    Would be a deserved win.

Third Realm will probably win the 3.00 but I am also having an each way bet on the progressive YIBIR

ADJUVANT looks to be a worth favourite in the 4.10 with form boosted this week

14. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Two former Cheltenham festival winners over hurdles clash in the beginners chase at Galway later today (5.10). Whilst 2018 Coral Cup winner Bleu Berry returned to winning ways over hurdles last time out (after a 2 year absence and a pipe-opener), Mark Brassil's City Island has failed to trouble the judge since landing the 2019 Ballymore in that tremendous tussle up the hill with Champ (and doing me a right favour in the process). It is absolutely mystifying how City Island has failed to go on from that and he has looked a shadow of the horse who rattled off a 5-timer in his novice hurdle season. Hopefully he can get his career back on track today.

15. gingerninja

gingerninja Well-Known Member

Absolutely shocking, drift out to 4s but high draw needed in my opinion although dark tulip switched straight across to the rail from stall 1 and that is definitely where the better ground is.
    Rest of the card high draw may be the way to go

karlos5001 likes this.
  16. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Ok, Telly avoiders here .............

GW
    150 Aerion Power
    225 Perfect Power
    300 Wordsworth
    335 Joan Of Arc
    410 Ardbraccan

Good luck all <ok>

Grendel and karlos5001 like this.
  17. Grendel

One of those annoying scenarios with taking on a short fav who then drifts and wins at a more backable price. Dark Tulip and Meredif flip-flopped in prices 7/4 to 11/1 and 3/1 to 7/4. Always nice to see support for your selection but Meredif couldn't quite get there. She was still pretty green and jigging about but did come there with every chance but just didn't run a polished enough race to win. Not a bad effort at all in 4th, beaten about a length and she can win a race I feel.

The jockey's 3 lb claim on Dark Tulip seemed key, as she prevailed by a neck and a short head. Hard to think it was a good maiden with a 75 rated filly landing it. The Hills newcomer faded very disappointingly and may be headed down the three runs and a nursery path.

Pilgrim, gingerninja and karlos5001 like this.
  18. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

17:20 Goodwood - A Pint Of Bear

(This quaintly-named sprinter has a squeak in this 5f sprint finale at Goodwood. Selection has won three times on soft ground over 5f, and once on the AW at this distance. Don't know a thing about sire Koo Bear (think he's American-bred) but the damsire, Dark Angel, certainly gets his share of winners on softish ground. 5lb. claimer Kieran Schofield takes the ride for trainer Scott Dixon. Price generally-available at time of writing is 11/1.)

Now to watch all the other races on TV, with a pint or two of real beer, Tegernseer 'Spezial'! :emoticon-0167-beer:

Pilgrim, Grendel, karlos5001 and 2 others like this.
  19. Realb

Realb Active Member

Two more each ways for fun in Galway - at least one place yesterday which meant a return
    Tudor City - 6.15 - hate backing Tony Martin but this should have a squeek
    Vocarium - 6.45

Grendel and karlos5001 like this.
  20. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Terrible ride by Hannighan on Perfect Power