1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

This is Cross Channel Stuff, Cardiff & Connected Banter Thread.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Oldsparkey, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi guys - here we go again.<ok>

Plenty been said by the pundits and media but what's really going to happen this season?

Honest opinions from rival club supporters are hard to come by as they're usually tainted with bias toward their own clubs and I suppose I'm no different.

Bearing that in mind, let's just have a look at the first half of the season up till the New Year. Bit of a guessing game but based upon what we know now where do you reckon we'll both be by then?

I'll say we'll be top 6 and you'll be bottom 6. Warnock will be given some more money to push on and Johnson will be under the cosh again but much earlier this season than last. If so, will Lansdown stick or twist this year?

If our positions are reversed, I can't see Tan in any way getting shot of Warnock but would Lansdown think differently this year with still half a season to go?

swanseaandproud likes this.
  2. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

You'll be around 13th with us close by. No way you're a top 6 side in this league.

Ccfc4ever and Supcon72 like this.
  3. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I think we will both be between 12-17th with no more than 5 points between us. As for who's on top, a bit too close to call TBH.

4. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Don't think you'll make top 6 Sparkey but I think you won't be far away about us.
    We'll have a decent start, Barnsley and Millwall look poor so expect decent wins early.
    By November I won't be surprised to see Junior, even with all his millions, under the cosh again.
    However,you never know in football and one of us might do a 'Huddersfield'.

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Agree our squad is probably mid table stuff - top 10 at best but the manager is top 6 - that will be the difference.

Red Robin and Redprintt like this.
  6. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

Between 10th and 16th

7. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Warnock will be charged with goat fiddling, and Johnson will be wall papered all over Redprints house.

That's about as realistic of you lot being top 6, probably correct about our position but will be 18th possibly slightly higher but not far from you lot.

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

From the posts on the thread so far it seems you're not expecting much from us this season - and what's more even less about yourselves.

Team performances (and results to go with them) is as much to do with team management as well as the squad players at a club.

There's no doubt that clubs like the three that came down from the Prem last year along with Villa, Fulham, Derby and Norwich etc start with and advantage over our two clubs simply on the basis of the players they carry, but those players still have to be managed.

I'll guarrantee that the pressure on the guys charged managing those clubs will result in a couple at least to be looking for another job come the New Year.

The basis for my optimism/pesimism for us/you for this half year to January is based upon the Warnock/Johnson situation. Warnock can turn a half decent outfit into challengers whilst Johnson seems to lack the ablity to inspire.

Maybe I'm wrong - we'll see.

9. Supcon72

The big challenge for Warnock will be if he can do it for a whole season. He's an old man now who is very good at coming in and getting teams out of trouble in a short time frame, e.g. Rotherham, and last season turning you from bottom four to mid-table. Can he do it from the off and for a full season is the question, he hasn't had to do it for a while?

10. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Christ I would have loved Warnock here

11. Supcon72

Maybe 5 years ago, not now though, we're better off with a progressive younger manager!!

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Supcon - so progressive you nearly went down pal.

13. Supcon72

OS, he's weeded out some of the issues from last season in both staff and players, one of them to you.

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Supcon - you reckon Tomlin was a more of a problem than an asset?

15. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

With all the money Tan pumped into Cardiff, it's about time they mounted a playoff challenge - much less should be viewed as failure.

I think City should aim for an improvement on last season, but mid-table would represent progress. I think the gap between the two teams is likely to be closer to half a dozen places, rather than the dozen or so Oldsparkey's suggesting - time will tell.

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

We did - and we got there. Trouble was we couldn't hold it together due to internal wranglings and the rest is history.

The money Tan has pumped into the club since has been more of a damage limitation policy than mounting another promotion challenge.

17. Supcon72

Yes, on balance he was

18. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it's been years now since 'you got there' - saying that the money spent was 'damage limitation' is no excuse for not being able to mount a respectable bid to get back to the Premiership in that time. It's like Del Boy becoming a millionaire but ending up back in Nelson Mandela house!

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  19. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

NickH - with Slade and Trollope running the playing side of things since Ole's "boy in a sweetshop" era, we were never going to get anywhere.

I note Lansdown has spent a few bob too this past couple of years - hasn't done you a lot of good either.

20. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

No need to get tetchy Oldsparky - I was just giving my opinion. True that we've spent some money, but recouped a lot too - sale of Kodjia earned us many Millions, with add-ons.

At this moment in time, Cardiff's expectations should be greater than ours. Seems like City has a long term plan in terms of recruitment etc, so will take a while to see if it's a good COA. I personally approve, though am concerned our manager might not be the one to oversee it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.