1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

This a great read..Have a look

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by KingPepeReina., Aug 3, 2011.

1. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

Kenny Daglish defends ''responsible'' Liverpool record spending spree.

Kenny Dalglish has defended this summer's lavish recruitment drive at Liverpool by saying the club have acted "responsibly" in the transfer market and that the principal owner, John W Henry, has dispelled any doubt over the level of financial support from Fenway Sports Group.

Liverpool have spent almost £50m on three midfielders, Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing, and remain in the market for a central defender and left-back, although they have yet to make an offer for José Enrique of Newcastle United. Having committed £57.8m on Luis Suárez and Andy Carroll in January, albeit a sum offset by the combined £56m sales of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel, FSG has sanctioned the largest spending spree in Liverpool's history since acquiring the club from Tom Hicks and George Gillett last October.

"It's been very impressive that they haven't flinched with the players that we have asked for and they have provided the money," Dalglish said. "The most important thing for us was getting people in and we've brought good people in.

"We've acted responsibly in the transfer market and we've also acted responsibly and respectfully with the owners, who have been fantastically supportive financially during the window. If there is a better owner that is as supportive as John Henry, then they have done very well for themselves because he's fantastically supportive."

Questions have been asked over Liverpool's willingness to pay Sunderland £16m and Aston Villa £20m for Henderson and Downing respectively, although, having failed to qualify for the Champions League for the past two seasons, Dalglish said the club could not afford to stand still as they seek to rejoin the European elite. He believes FSG's outlay has been invested wisely so far.

Dalglish added: "I don't think anyone would dispute the ability of Luis Suárez, would they? You're not always fortunate to get someone as good as him every time you sign a cheque but we were fortunate with what we got when we brought him in.

"Certainly spending money does not guarantee you success but I don't know of any football club that has ever had success that has not spent money. So it is necessary. But it's even more important to spend it wisely."

José Enrique, one of the Twitter rebels at Newcastle, could be the subject of a bid from Liverpool before the Premier League season opens on 13 August but Dalglish said he would not be rushed into a decision on his defence by a pre-season campaign that has seen 15 goals conceded in five matches so far. "We don't mind speaking about our own football club but we don't speak about any other football club and certainly not any other players," the Liverpool manager said. "Pre-season is not a barometer. You make your assessments. We know we have still got people to come back that will be important for us. If they do come back, they will be like new signings."

The support and spending power of the Anfield hierarchy provides a stark contrast with Liverpool's divisive situation 12 months ago and the manager is confident a lack of off-field distractions will assist the club's attempt to return to the top four.

"I don't think what happens off the pitch can be used as an excuse for what happens on it," Dalglish said. "But it is always helpful when there is a lot of positivity around the club. It's certainly helpful if everyone is singing the same song. John [W Henry] is genuinely a good fella. He cares passionately about the football club and he wants it to go in the right direction. Anyone who has got any affinity for the football club will want that too. We are fortunate that there is nobody pulling in the wrong direction."

The manager said Steven Gerrard is recovering well from an infection related to the groin surgery he underwent in March, although his comeback target date remains September. Dalglish said: "The operation has been a fantastic success. It's just the infection. It's good news for Steven and for everyone else."

Martin Skrtel has suffered a relapse in his recovery from the calf injury that has interrupted his pre-season training. The defender said: "I am still not with my team. I suffered an injury setback on Friday. I felt strong pain in my leg so I am back with the doctors receiving treatment. I really don't know how long will it take to heal. I am doing my best to be back as soon as possible."

2. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

"We know we have still got people to come back that will be important for us. If they do come back, they will be like new signings."

Bolded part; I have never heard a manager say that before so this concerns me a little. Kenny's a smart guy and he often picks his words carefully but I hope maybe he was misquoted in this case...

3. moreinjuredthanowen

i think kennys comments regarding valencia not being the test we will be facing this year was very interesting... far more interesting than an IF.

one must feel the signings made show kenny is focused on domestic competitveness and knws full we we competed reasonably with the final top 4 last year, we simply must be better on the road and be able to break down the "lesser" sides. if we do that then we can worry about the european sides another year.

compete with the english sides first..... thats how i interpreted kenny.

4. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

Really? Aside from the 'if' all I saw was the expected and predicable drivel that any half sensible manager would say; play down the spending, play up the improvement in the squad, avoid discussing potential transfer targets and talk about how little the poor preseason form counts for. Oh, and he's trying hard to make sure the fans know that the owners are buying into the club because after the last yanks, there's still distrust.

The 'if' was the only thing in that whole article which struck my eye as being different.

5. moreinjuredthanowen

really? i suggest you go find the full transcript then.

if and buts aside, kenny was consistnet in saying the same things he's said all summer.