1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic third world aid 0.7 or 0.5%

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by realred1952, Jun 7, 2021.

1. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

Watched the news this afternoon whilst having a cuppa nd couple of biccies!
    Matt Hancock gave an in depth, transparent update on corona and vaccinations .. didn't leave anything out!
    Amazing then that a word perfect presentation coming of a pre written speech rom SNP should ask questions that he had ALREADY GIVEN the answers to [ Mr SNP roly poly clever... or not does same every PMQ's !!!...lol ]
    1 question [ of 5 or 6 ] was "how many has the UK donated to KOVAC? well 10 mins earlier MH had stated the UK is the leading donator of VACCINES to KOVAC, of the 2bn "free doses" KOVAC has received the UK has donated 25% or 500,000,000! … now we are in a pandemic and our .gov has spent approaching £500bn...to date. That is approximately £14,000 per head of the working population [38m?]... [ add 1p to tax and would take 65 years to pay off! ] …
    help our own finances by reducing what we spend on aid by £4bn [ mind you we have so far donated 500m vaccines ]
    some interesting comments, from recipients, regarding reduced aid ….. "should the UK NOT SUPPLY some of the aid then those reliant upon it will need to pay...……. maybe we should go to the chemists and say I am not paying for my prescription … I WOULD LIKE IT FREE, the .gov will pay.

the .gov went through 10 years of abuse and got the balance sheet for UK INTO THE BLACK … took us out of Europe and it was all looking rosy... we now risk going back 12 years …. unless we say to the world look when you want something you have to work for it, progress is not made by hand outs. SHOULD WE FAIL TO MAINTAIN OURSELVES then you wont get anything at all in the future!

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give the rest of the world a penny
    Sounds harsh, but we've given countries such as India millions of pounds that they simply don't need. And when we give money to regimes in parts of the world where there is oppression, terrorism or mass migration we are either funding abuse, aiding the risk of being the victims of terrorism or ending up paying twice when migrants arrive here.
    No thanks

3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Apparently the U.K. sent money to Nigeria to help stop corruption. I would love to know who came up with that ridiculous idea and I think it's time for all countries to look at where they send your money.

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

And that's one of the most corrupt countries in Africa, if not the world.
    If there's that much of a slush fund available, then I'd rather that the money was spent on lifting British people out of poverty but that's too easy.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Corruption and dictatorships are holding back certain countries and the last thing we should be doing is giving those regimes cash.
    However we can't stand by and watch people starve whilst their leaders pocket £millions either. Perhaps we need to hit those dictators where it hurts; freeze their assets and re-distribute them to fund humanitarian projects.

Where there is genuine need - and very little corruption, we could fund certain infrastructure projects perhaps - where they can be controlled and monitored - and even lay the foundations for future business partnerships - the locals want a road, access to clean water and a railway system and in return we want mining rights to access minerals or metals that might be nearby - win-win for all.