1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Things about football that you love.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Channonfodder, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Yes, this is the "bug-you" thread's better looking younger brother. I might well have my four-penneth worth about the negative stuff in a minute, but come on! This season? Let's hear it for the good stuff.

I will start; it's the feeling you get during an extended period of unremitting pressure from Saints, when the volume rises and the crowd knows that the goal is coming, the goal is coming. Makes the consummation even sweeter.

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

The half time relay.

3. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

The football bit is pretty good.

4. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

I love leaving before the half time whilstle to get a beer. I love the dissaproving looks I get from people as I shuffle past them.

5. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

The build up ie: getting stoked!

6. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

When do we actually play Stoke..?

7. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Using my flatulence as a secret but deadly weapon when the prats who sit behind me moan about Guly or Wanyama or Kelvin or Fox or Hooiveld or Yoshida or JWP or Jay or Gaston or any player in their very considered and highly detailed analytical opinion is having as they would say "a **** game" and is "****ing useless".

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

There is still, even at 44, something magic about the first glimpse of the green turf as you walk up the steps from the concourse. I remember that when I was a young boy and still find it mesmerizing now. Anyone remember the scene in Fever Pitch when the lad goes to his first match at Highbury? That's how I feel even today.

9. fatletiss

I'm impressed you still have enough control over it :)

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I chortled. I can just hear the type right now. How many times have you been tempted to turn round and say something, St.G..?

Mind you, farting would probably be every bit as effective, distracted as their minds are in contemplation of their next carefully selected words. :)

11. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I've got a nice pair of tossers behind me talking about how Gaston and Osvaldo are "absolutely ****ing useless". One of my favourite lines is "I don't like to say this, right, I really don't like to say this, but Adam Lallana is absolutely useless, he's terrible". If you didn't like to say it, you wouldn't say it every ****ing match.

12. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

I have to be very careful as I have reached that age when farting other than when sat on the WC can sometimes have quite uncomfortable and unpleasant consequences.

On many an occasion but Mrs G always grabs my arm and tells me not to get involved in an argument or tells me to calm down as it is not good for my blood pressure.

They of course know that I disagree with their views but they derive some sort of perverse pleasure from winding me up.

13. fatletiss

14. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I love the beer. It's of the highest quality and I always buy one.

15. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

Now to accentuate the positive:

1 The look on Lambert's face when he scores.
    2 The mass love in involving all the players when Saints score.
    3 Seeing our young players develop and progress. (must be the dad in me).
    4 Watching Adam doing all those jinking runs and twists and turns.
    5 The very best was when Rickie scored against the Scots on his debut for England.
    6 Being lucky enough to watch Morgan week in week out.
    7 The buzz of excitement and anticipation as you approach St Mary's.
    8 Eavesdropping on fans comments about the game as we leave after the match.
    9 Forgetting last weeks bad results and looking forward to a great game next time.
    10. Reading and re reading all the match reports after we have had a great result and have played well and I feel so proud of our team.

16. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

I love after a good result, coming home and watching the highlights. Especially if I have it in my head that player X or Y had a good game, then being able to affirm this with myself by seeing them on the telly and I can think "I didn't make it up, player X really did have a good game".

17. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Realising 24 hours after a game that I still haven't got my voice back.

18. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

The moment the Northam starts to sing.

I gave up football completely, totally and utterly for 27 years (or so). I didn't go, I didn't watch it on TV; I was completely disillusioned - long story why but I detested it. One of the reasons Mrs Onionman married me was because my dislike for football was very attractive to her.

Then Onionman Jr decided he wanted to go to a game so I bit the bullet and took him. I cannot begin to tell you how much I hated the idea.

The game was Saints Colchester a week or two after NA had taken over. I bought tickets for the Northam (I'd always been in the noisy part of grounds in the past). I prepared for the worst.

Then the noise started and the goosebumps appeared. I have goosebumps while typing this and the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up. At that moment, I fell head over heels in love with Saints.

And every time the crowd starts my goosebumps come back. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Vin

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The sense of belonging, almost like family. When Saints score and you love 30K other people and they love you. Being hugged by a complete stranger when we won at Villa and were going to the FA Cup Final.

20. Piri Weepu

Piri Weepu Well-Known Member

One thing I love is the sound of away fans celebrating. I don't know why, but I thinks it's a great noise.