1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

"The worst thing I've seen in football"

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gastronomic, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Ollie Norburn in the news...

"The worst thing I've seen in football"

The words of Braintree manager Dan Cowley after his side's 1-1 draw at Guiseley in the National League.
    please log in to view this image

So why was Cowley so unhappy?
    Lions midfielder Ollie Norburn accidentally scored from long range when giving the ball back to Braintree goalkeeper Tom King after an injury to an Iron player when the visitors were leading 1-0.
    Braintree expected to be allowed to walk a goal in - but the Lions had no such intentions.
    Guiseley boss Mark Bower told BBC Radio Leeds: "The goalkeeper stood there with his arms in the air and allowed the ball to go in to the net.
    "It put us in a really difficult position whether we should allow them to score or not, but everyone around us was saying the keeper was trying to be clever and had let it go in.
    "It all kicked off and it was unpleasant and I'm sure it will attract some attention. It's a very uncomfortable position to be in."

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

The same one that played for us?????

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He certainly is Old Timer and the same who played for us. He couldn't hit an empty net when he was with us.....

4. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A goals a goal :emoticon-0136-giggl

5. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Is that it, big deal!! Watching Saghead fans punching horses at a football match is far worse!!!

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Is your comment about this needed? Im sure we can all try and point score that we seen far worse blah blah blah.

The Hillsborough disaster was by far worse.

7. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Mr Cowley must have led a very sheltered life is this was "the worst thing he has ever seen on a football pitch" !! I am in no doubt that the worst thing I have ever seen was the dozens of Bradford City supporters running across the pitch to escape the raging fire ripping through the stands, many of them ablaze as their clothing and hair was on fire. I witnessed this horrific video footage at work - it was an official fire brigade video taken at the scene and I dont know how readily available this footage is. I suspect due to the horrific content, it is not openly available but trust me, its the worst thing I have ever seen! Thinking back to the bad old days, I can recall many violent pitch invasions, fans and Police being attacked quite ferociously. I was at Eastville on the sad day we played Tranmere and Dick Sheppherd fractured his skull and sadly ended his playing career - that left a lasting impression on me. Even more recently, the unfortunate events following our last game home defeat to Mansfield which saw us crash out of the league 21 months ago was more disturbing than a dubious goal scored by an unsporting gesture from an opportunist footballer. The worst thing ever seen on a football pitch? - bit of an over-reaction Mr Cowley, me thinks!;)

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Here is what happened....