1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

S.A.F.C. - the future

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by alan reed, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

Aye but he had both hands tied behind his back in regards to who he wanted and who he could actually sign. His win percentages at the clubs he has been at since us have been more than decent aswell

Nig likes this.
  2. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I'm just going by our financial position right now. Until things change I think we will have to use what we already have. I hope I'm wrong and that we get a manager in who can improve us.

3. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Saying Pearson is just another Parkinson is outrageous. Pearson’s last job was in the premier league, and he’s been in and around it regularly. This was Parkinson’s biggest ever job

Makemstine Roger and resinlegs like this.
  4. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

I'd give him more credit than run of the mill,
    Injected some enthusiasm, kept us up.
    Granted it went a bit pear shaped but he did state there was an underlying problem at the club and he was proved right.

How many times have we been there ?

Billy Batts likes this.
  5. I know what you mean,but,in Gus' case,it's a totally different set of circumstances now.

janey likes this.
  6. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

Poyet would bring us a footballing identity, something we have not had since Big Sam left to be honest.

Dave_39, sheepman, Roppa and 2 others like this.
  7. 6inarow

6inarow Well-Known Member

I think somebody who 'gets it' managing Sunderland and the expectation is a must. Parkinson didnt, he was a lower league plodder who didnt embrace or deserve the chance to manage Sunderland. He brought a mind set of the underdog with him when we need the mind set of going out to win every single game. Pearson has worked around England youth and spent time up at Newcastle so he knows what its like up here as well as the youth set up. He is a big headed bloke without a doubt but we need some of that in the team, we need someone whos going to put it on the players to puff their chests out and say we should be top of this ****ing league not lets protect this 0-0 lads and see if we can scrape the play-offs

8. janey

janey Well-Known Member

Yeah you are right and obviously he would have my full support if it was him

sad-eyed prophet likes this.
  9. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

Poyet had a 60% win rate at AEK and Bordeaux. Its not to be sniffed at that

Glencoe, TopClub, Dorset and 2 others like this.
  10. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Not really. Both have spent most of their careers in League 1 or the Championship with brief spells in League 2. Pearson has had two brief spells in the Premier League and time in the Belgian second division. Both have had a couple of promotions. Parkinson got a League 2 side to the League Cup Final. If you compare their records, Pearson's is slightly better because of his one major success at Leicester.

11. Drumburgh1

Drumburgh1 Well-Known Member

New manager has to be arrogant, stubborn and 100% confident in their ability.

Dennis Smith
    Peter Reid
    Sam Allardyce
    Roy Keane

These 4 had these attributes and had success here.

Lewberry Pie and Sunderlad like this.
  12. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Other than a 1 season stint as manager of Carlisle as a 35 year old, Pearson has never managed in League 2, and only managed one season in League 1, where he was promoted.

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I was never dead against Poyet, the main negative was I don't like going back to exes (exhibit a: Danny Graham), but I'm coming round to the idea of him as manager. It seems by far the most likely appointment after all.

No idea how he'd do as DoF, doesn't strike me as the right person for that and he's never done it before.

Guy Incognito likes this.
  14. The Norton Cat

I agree with your first sentence. I just don't think Pearson fits the bill. Like I said, his record is very similar to Parkinson's. Apart from being bad-tempered in press conferences he doesn't seem to have any traits that make him stand out in comparison to the numerous ex-pros who do the rounds of League 1 and Championship clubs and get the occasional crack at the Prem.

Guy Incognito and 6inarow like this.
  15. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

To compare Pearson with Parkinson is about as ridiculous as it gets

16. Alex83

Alex83 Well-Known Member

He is a decent manager. His main problem is that he is too open in press conferences or press notes. In AEK and Bordeaux he got sacked for what he said and not for results

smithy in nl, sheepman and Julio like this.
  17. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

To appoint somebody like Poyet or Pearson while your in League One would be seen as a huge coup to be honest. It would also be a massive signal of intent and ambition straight away from our new owners

18. The Norton Cat

Yeah, that's right actually. He was only at Southampton for 3 months before being sacked. He didn't actually stay in charge when they were relegated so he has less experience than I gave him credit for.

19. 6inarow

6inarow Well-Known Member

You know, I wouldnt mind Poyet back, both have decent records

Poyet
    G W D L WIN RAT%
    Total 358 153 97 108 42.74

Pearson
    G W D L WIN RAT%
    Total 497 203 136 158 40.85

*the format of that breakdown doesnt look like that on the draft before posting btw

Dorset and The Norton Cat like this.
  20. Mackem74

Mackem74 Well-Known Member

Pearson got sacked from Leicester in weird circumstances. The same thing happened again at Watford where there are rumours he head butted a player. Hes also behaved terribly to local media and some of the stuff he comes out with is horrendous. He did well at leicester but has been a disaster since. Hes not had many opportunities in England since... why? Its a no from me.

Young Ted, jpdsafc and The Norton Cat like this.