1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

S.A.F.C. - the future

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by alan reed, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Plus he's had Storey prowling around the backstreets of Sunderland <laugh>

I agree mate, it's been a bad time for Rodwell and he was instantly attacked as being a chum of Methven. As the only man left standing, at the ground, he's had to negotiate with the new owner and see in Johnson, Speakman, etc.

I'm quite happy to turn the page and hope he can just get on with his job which should be more streamlined now. He's been involved in football, for many years, so I'm hoping he'll deal with players contracts, agents, etc. The club has been a shambles for years and this is all a massive chance to put things right.

Davyred, SAFC2403, Random lad and 5 others like this.
  2. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Agree wholeheartedly with the above. Not to mention he has excellent relations with the EFL and that is going to be an important factor over the next 12-18 months as the EFL appear to get more and more batshit crazy.

3. ned_werby

ned_werby Well-Known Member

If he parks his boat in the Marina he's certainly welcome to drop into my gaff for a snifter and a slice of home-made pizza.

4. T_Bone

T_Bone Well-Known Member

It can’t be long now. Fingers crossed it’s as exciting as we want it to be.
    Keep The Faith, there’s nothing else.

Young Ted and Robertson like this.
  5. Wackyjacky

Wackyjacky Well-Known Member

I wonder if part of his remit will to being the hospitality side of the club back under the clubs running rather than Elior who it's currently outsourced to? It can be a big revenue stream if done correctly and with the current closure of the stadium it gives them plenty of time to look at it and consider what they could do. I'm sure Elior had a three year deal so possibly expires this summer.

Guy Incognito, LBW and Robertson like this.
  6. Drumburgh1

Drumburgh1 Well-Known Member

I would have thought the club would have kept all the revenue and then said to Elior you provide the catering and the staff required for a fixed price based on a number of covers and what the menu's are on a game by game basis. If done like this I do not see what the club will have done incorrectly as the drop to League 1 would have had drastic impact on the hospitality numbers so it would have made sense to outsource this.

7. MorpethThings

MorpethThings Active Member

First job will be to get more staff that are up to the job for the kiosks. The money the club will be losing prematch and at half time through lost sales could be as much as 25% (total guess) of gate receipts. Fix that and it’s extra money for the club.

Blyth_bucaneer and Guy Incognito like this.
  8. Young Ted

Young Ted Well-Known Member

I if he parks it there the harbour view just up the bank I’ll fill his glass (when it’s allowed to open)

9. Yes but no but

Yes but no but Well-Known Member

Sure the club don’t get the revenue off these, places are leased out to various companies etc. Daft really!

10. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

I have commented about this before, me and the wife and friends used to attend the Christmas Party nights and or the New Years Eve night and it used to be a really good mixture of decent food and drink with good entertainment, Christmas 2019 was a disgrace, everything was done on the cheap and we said that was the finish. Work used to use the stadium as well, we used to also book a table or box for matchdays the odd time and take customers for a pre match meal, drinks etc. I used to email a lovely lady called Marie I think her name was and nothing was ever too much hassle she looked after you brilliantly. All that changed when the current clowns took over and sadly it went downhill drastically. The decor does need updating and could be done relatively quickly, the personal touch though goes a long way, we would be taken to our table and Marie would eventually make her way around and introduce herself and exchange pleasantries, it made you feel appreciated. I want my team to come 1st mind and realise things can only be done gradually but those 2 clowns miss managed this side of the club massively. Those party nights could easily cater for a few hundred at least, I would always spend a few hundred quid and that was on top of the money per head, massive money to be made if its done right.

11. MorpethThings

I may be totally wrong as heard it years ago, but is it not one of the sub companies (1879 events) who run the bars, but get 3rd party staff in? Either way it needs explored as there’s money to be made there!

12. Yes but no but

Totally agree mate, surely more money to be made than leasing the stalls out.

13. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

It depends. The lease fee will be a fixed amount and there are no staff wages to pay or stock to order and possibly throw out if not sold.

Outsourcing it all is a no risk option for the club as they're guaranteed a return with no work

Young Ted and Porterfield73 like this.
  14. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

Just double the price and put topless barmaids on make a fortune

Blyth_bucaneer, DH4 and MorpethThings like this.
  15. MorpethThings

Agree in most parts but the risk is not maximising the opportunity. SAFC have some thirsty and hungry fans! Would like to think it’ll get looked at from a business perspective for the club and from the fans enjoyment aspect.

Iain likes this.
  16. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

100% agree however SD and co probably went for the cheapest low risk option. Hopefully the appointment of a new COO means that KLD is looking at maximising all potential revenue streams

MorpethThings, Iain and Guy Incognito like this.
  17. Yes but no but

Sure it was during the Short era it started and CM mentioned it as something they would look to change when they first came in but couldn’t as club were tied in for another couple of years.

18. King Kareoke

King Kareoke Well-Known Member

I agree - I have seen corporate at both the landfill and SOL and at one time the corporate in The SOL was so much better (even Mag supporters agreed that). I appreciate that the standard of football being served up does not necessarily attract corporates at the moment but this needs to be "rebuilt" so that as we go up (ever an optimist!) we are in a position to maximise revenue but also create a friendly, personal and enjoyable experience.

19. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

Would Prehab not get the heads up the day of the announcement like he got for the announcement on Xmas Eve? Wonder if his silence so far today means it rolls into another day tomorrow

Random lad, Robertson and Sadlad like this.
  20. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

FWIW the entire Times article read like guesswork so I'm not going to be too alarmed if their "by the next home game" prediction didn't come off

Random lad likes this.