1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

S.A.F.C. - the future

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by alan reed, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

So why are you crediting RAWA with being the people who 'broke the news' if it's that obvious. No one believed that shyte from the start and didn't need RAWA to chip in with their opinion which is no better than anyone else's.

However, as FPP have never denied or confirmed that it's simply conjecture.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Guy Incognito likes this.
  2. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

Pretty much spot on there tbh. The club will be required to meet with RAWA twice a year so it'll be ideal if there's some sort of positive relationship there. But you're right, I see the group mainly being there to represent fans interests. So if fans are worried that the ground might get sold, I'd expect them to raise the issue. If things are going well, however, and there's no reason to doubt the owners, I'd expect them to mainly focus on things like the "supporter experience", ticketing queries, atmosphere, hell even the beer in the ground. If they have to ask hard questions then they should, but the vast majority of the time it shouldn't be needed. That's my understanding of it, and tbf I think the committee agree with it.

I think the term is that they are to be a "critical friend", but until there's any reason to be sceptical of an owner I'd expect the emphasis to be firmly on the latter part, without getting too close. Like you say, pretty similar to a focus group. Certainly I don't expect them to be getting involved in the football business, recruitment, playing side of things , again unless someone respected like GOM has a valid query which can be raised (and he attended a meeting to ensure they had the right person asking the right things).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  3. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

You're absolutely spot on. The way I see it, RAWA are a group to represent its members (who all happen to be Sunderland fans ). So if any fans have any issues with what they're doing or saying, then I'm happy to try and discuss it as best I can. Obviously I'm not a committee member so I don't know all the ins and outs, but they've got me involved to add to the number of people they can easily run things past, and who can bring queries or issues to their attention. So for me, if I'm taking on that role as a coopted rep I have to be prepared to accept that the group will get some criticism and I have to be prepared to try and discuss it with people, as far as I can. No problem with that at all. I believe they're a good group, which is why I got involved, but there are things I'd change and things I haven't agreed with, so I know some will have issues.

Anyway , **** it, never mind a statement, we've been bought by someone who seems to have a clue, let's just enjoy that. I can't wait to start just thinking about the 90 minutes again rather than the Donald and Methven soap opera, I just want to watch the match with my mates, have a good few pints, and sing like a dafty.

Nordic, Robertson, ISOE II and 5 others like this.
  4. Smug in Boots

And so say all of us.

We've had years of believing we know better than the owners ...

... I now want years of believing the owners know better than us.

Nordic, Robertson, Oldsandy and 5 others like this.
  5. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Great Post <applause>

6. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

I'm not against rawa or other fan movements but at times they smack of the union reps at work.
    Lads at work moan about the union decisions at times and I try to remind them that we are the union and they represent us.
    This I try to remind union reps of when they mouth off about what they recommend ffs.

Rawa said they weren't going to demand off KLD then demanded a list of answers FFS.
    I would like to know his plans but I'm happy to let him get his feet under the table for now, and it seems things are moving in the right direction.

7. Smug in Boots

The Mags have been writing open letters and making demands for a decade.

Ashley has completely ignored them.

This winds them up even more so they step up their campaign.

Ashley simply ignores that as well.

He's now shut them up completely by pretending to pursue the PL regarding the Sheikhover ...

... they daren't say a word in case he changes his mind.

We should look at the Mags and learn from them, not copy them.

Nig, Mackem49000, halfman and 6 others like this.
  8. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

I'm not from Sunderland and could have been a mag fan.
    I could rant on for hours why but it isn't about football.
    It's a connection and I'm so glad of my choice regardless of where we are in the league.
    ;)

9. admwil

admwil Member

That’s RAWA kept at arms length by the new board from the off. Well done.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Oldsandy, Iain, Guy Incognito and 4 others like this.
  10. OldNewtown

OldNewtown Well-Known Member

Talking about professional PR, somebody has done a bloody good job of taking the shine off what should have been a period of unbridled joy looking forward to the good times in the near future following the takeover
    We,the supporters, are now bickering among ourselves and providing yet more negative vibes to obscure the real message

We have a new young owner with fresh ideas along with sufficient money and strength to implement them
    We are on our way back!
    Onwards and upwards

11. Smug in Boots

There's been a certain shift in reality here with RAWA

There's a 'before' but there's no 'after'.

It's all very well looking forthright and proactive but it's just an illusion. The reality is that RAWA will do absolutely nothing after they've 'explained to the new owner what the supporters want' Even if they totally disagree with the plans what will they do ... demand bigger, better plans, denounce the owner, campaign for a takeover?

I'm sick of being told to be cautious and wait until we've seen the details of the short, medium and long term plans. No, I like what I see and will totally back them unless I see a reason not to.

RAWA need to remember that they're there to listen to the club and to relay any relevant information to their members. Secondly they're there to relay any relevant concerns from their members to the club. What they're not there to do is decide between themselves to issue statements and guide the narrative, and they're certainly not there to vet the new owner, make demands or pretend that they represent the entire support.

If the membership was paid for they might have a bit more clout, but they have 13,000 people who've ticked a box on a website ....

... and that's their entire mandate.

I like RAWA, and everyone I know who's involved, but they need to calm themselves down imo. They need to shake off this obsession with the previous regime, people are sick to death of hearing about it and it's the very last thing the new owner will want to hear.

It's like these blokes who endlessly moan about their previous girlfriend and are then astonished when the new one walks out.

12. Wardley Makem

Wardley Makem Well-Known Member

I get your point, we have no right, however, fans are absolutely integral to the success. A club like ours without fans would be unsustainable and unattractive to investment. There needs to be a balance. Understand the fans, integrate a structure that engages with the fans, but be bold and confident in your decision making and take advice from the right people in the game. The fans know a lot on the surface of football, but behind the scenes, investment in the right people.

13. The Redbaron

The Redbaron Well-Known Member

You have that the wrong way around...RAWA are there to hold the Club owners to account. Who else is going to do it? You, me or another lone voice.

14. Smug in Boots

I totally agree with you mate, totally.

My opinion is that the new regime haven't put a foot wrong and have clearly spelled out their aims, through Johnson, Speakman and Louis-Dreyfus. It appears blindingly obvious that they have a plan and want to engage with the supporters.

As long as that continues to happen RAWA, to a great extent, become irrelevant and that's why, imo, they're trying to big up their part. I don't mean that in a nasty way, I just don't like the way this is going. If this is their opening shot it just shows how little it takes to rock the boat.

Just imagine the meltdown if the RAWA committee emerge from the first meeting shaking their heads and expressing doubts <doh>

Guy Incognito and Wardley Makem like this.
  15. Smug in Boots

That's what worries me, that aspect seems to have emerged as their main aim. They seem intent on pursuing that as a priority before the owner is even through the door. Their aims may be valid but the tone and timing were completely inappropriate.

None of us are a lone voice. The crowd, home and away, make it clear what the mood is.

RAWA don't speak for the red and white army, the statement was put out by a handful of lads who seemed to want to push themselves to the forefront.

It just looks wrong to me no matter how honourable their aims.

16. Wardley Makem

Wardley Makem Well-Known Member

I agree. Just look at when RAWA were created, L1 and while the owners and fans didn't see eye to eye. For me, we don't need to demand any dialogue. Especially when, as you say, Speakman has already set out the path and agreed to regularly engage. Let's leave it there.

17. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

I also don't really know what if anything do RAWA think that they have achieved other than looking like kids throwing their toys out the pram when they don't get their own way.
    They put plenty demands on Donald, mainly the one about when he's not wanted he will leave. So they with the others were going to force him out.
    Got news for them his still here a year later.
    I've said it before stamping your feet and spitting your dummy out gets you nowhere it just makes you look like a sweaty mag.
    I hope for one second that they don't think it was their protests that made Donald sell the majority of his shares, that was to do with the fact he was losing so much money.
    We are football fans who love our club and I think after what we have all been through under the Oxford chances that complaining about how the club is run will not change a thing but if you can't see in what KLD has already before has has the keys to the door that hopefully we are heading to the light at the end of the tunnel.
    There are comments coming out that what RAWA meant was that they want us to stop selling are young players and build the academy back to the way it was.
    FFS he's has just employed speakman who is apparently one of the most respected coaches at academy level and has brought through more academy players to first team level in the last 2 years than anyone else, so if that's the question they are asking then they need to realise its time they shut up.
    Can we all just be positive this could be the start of something very very special and I for one am very excited.
    Sorry for the rant I was only meaning to type a 2 line reply

18. Smug in Boots

Donald wanted out long before any protests ...

... the 'open letter' just handed him the perfect excuse to blame the supporters.

And the press lapped it up.

admwil, Guy Incognito and Iain like this.
  19. sheepman

sheepman Well-Known Member

Well dust has settled after Christmas and I’m as excited as ever about the takeover RAWA need to get their heads out their own arses open their eyes and react to what is actually going on To me the statement sadly smacked of the doom and gloom mongers who commented on the takeover unfounded negativity “nobody wants us to be successful more than me BUT........”. They ask for plans but KLDs statement contains more of a plan than we’ve had in almost 3 years of SD. Speakmans statement can’t be more clearer about the direction on the club. But then people will say ah but action speaks louder than words Open your eyes. Manager sporting director new structure and he’s not even through the door yet
    They are being unnecessarily negative about what might happen. How about being positive about what is already happening

20. Smug in Boots

Seriously mate, what more do people want.

QUESTION - A key part will be retaining our best young talent which is something the club has been criticised for in the past.
    How important is it to keep players that have been developed from the age of eight to 16

SPEAKMAN - It's a fairly obvious thing that the club wants that, but I also think the players want to do that.

I very rarely come across young players who come from an area of the country and come through an academy but are desperate to move.

One of the things you have to look at is what are the reasons that has happened, what can we correct and improve, and ultimately you need to provide a player with the understanding that you are going to manage their programme on an individual basis and they are going to get everything they need.

That doesn't mean spoiling young players, but if you look across player development, personal development, medical and sports science analysis, in this country there is a very high benchmark on the provisions available to these young players.

Therefore, if you are not going to provide a player with a certain element of that, and you are going to be restricting their potential, then ultimately they are going to choose to go somewhere else.

One of the things that's important about this project is that they want to create a best-in-class academy, and they want Sunderland's academy to be the centrepiece of their strategy.

They also want this to be a powerhouse in the North East of high performance and an institute of excellence across medical, analysis and sports science.