1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

S.A.F.C. - the future

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by alan reed, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Eye Ball Paul

Eye Ball Paul Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Barnsley were way off the pace the same time in our first season down and look where they ended up.

Guy Incognito, Mav3rick and Robertson like this.
  2. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Unless our 4 useless strikers, somehow as if by magic become goal scorers we are not going to get promoted. There are a couple of weeks left of the transfer window, if the present quartet are not removed (by the 25th amendment?), and some good honest strikers brought in we are stuffed this season.
    To my way of thinking we only have a couple of weeks to save the season

3. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

All hinges on getting a decent striker imo. If we do get one in, think automatic is within reach. WIthout one we should still get playoffs but it will be a bit of a slog.

Mav3rick and Royaldragon like this.
  4. Millfield Maestro 1879

Millfield Maestro 1879 Well-Known Member

As I have said on other threads it wouldn't take much for us to turn things around. It could be one decent striker that does it or finding goals from somewhere else. Anything that turns draws into victories would make a massive difference to our fortunes and there is literally no one to fear in this league

5. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Well-Known Member

Very big IF for me. We dont have any room in the salary cap to go out and get a couple of decent strikers. If we can get rid of a couple somehow then we might be able to do some business.

Ideally it would be brilliant if we can go up this year but I think we may have left ourselves too much to do -especially with a poor squad who just cannot score goals.

6. Mav3rick

Mav3rick Well-Known Member

That's my thoughts on the rest of the season and how we start putting together a decent run of games! Confidence plays a massive part in that also. A striker who could score goals would definitely help and a midfield who look mobile instead of slow like ours at the moment. We all live in hope to get out of this league and then can spend on decent quality players

Robertson likes this.
  7. inside cente12

Just read on the news a private aircraft was intercepted by an RAF aircraft. It would be typical if it was KDL coming to the country today for the announcement this week.

I know it is not possible but it would sum up the last 2 and a half years.

8. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Correct, it's not possible..

BTW Newcastle lost tonight against a team who had previously failed to win.

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  9. FTM Dave

FTM Dave Well-Known Member

The Mags are at least maintaining tradition.

I remember Derby County thankfully being even worse than us and becoming the worst side in Premier League history. They went down with only 11 points and they only beat one side that year. Wonder who :emoticon-0136-giggl

10. Wackyjacky

Wackyjacky Well-Known Member

Yep and iirc they took 4 points off the mags that year, the other game was a draw.

11. Eye Ball Paul

Fair enough, but I think we need to give Johnson a bit more time, I agree Grigg, Wyke & Graham definitely need shifting or sacked this month, I was impressed with O’Brien last night, albeit against a lower team but he proved he can hold the ball and make a nuisance of himself.

to me the problem is more in the midfield, Leadbitter slows the game down far too much, that was evident last night when he came on and we lost the momentum, hopefully Winchester can come in and replace him as the first half showed without Power and Leadbitter we got forward much quicker.

on a side note, I have been quite impressed with Power as a RWB.

even with what we have currently got, a few decent wins will propel us up the league, but hopefully we add some power and pace up top.

12. Eye Ball Paul

I agree mate, see my reply to Sunderpitt.

13. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

With a proven goalscorer i'm pretty confident we can shoot up this league, our squad is as good as anyone's...Shame we didn't take a punt on Shankland when we had a chance .....but, is there is there another proven goalscorer around ?? I assume a lot of clubs are looking for the same thing

14. dyd13

dyd13 Well-Known Member

There's a certain Will Grigg who comes to mind. Apparently he's a proven goalscorer.

15. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

tbh "proven goalscorer" is a myth. It depends entirely on the style of player, the types of chances created etc.

Any club could describe Will Grigg as a proven goalscorer still. And any club could describe Charlie Wyke as a proven goalscorer in that he has 10 in 22 this season. But we know that neither are the right "proven goalscorer" for us.

16. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

David Kelly. £1 million iirc and was another player supposed to guarantee goals.

Did nothing.

Wrong player, wrong club, wrong time.

Sometimes just plain unlucky.

17. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

I think a lot will depend on who he brings in, I think its pretty obvious what we have probably isn't good enough. I don't think he needs a complete overhaul though.
    Obviously a striker is a must and a little bit more creativity, I'd still love Neil be given more of a chance, he proved last night and in pre season he is the one player we have that can play that pass that splits the defence open. But I'm not writing the season off as you say 3 points off the play offs and if he does bring in a couple more plays capable of his style of play you never know maybe just maybe

18. SAFC CLUD

SAFC CLUD Well-Known Member

I think Kyril Louis Dreyfus is going to make a legacy for himself and become one of the greats in the game. Has there ever been an owner so young / an owner being hailed for there career in football ownership not management/playing?

19. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

I can confirm this mind. I know someone who has been told he'll be involved in this. He is doing some prep now for it along with his other work. He was comfortable telling me as he says they will want it known anyway that this is happening.

Guy Incognito likes this.
  20. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Aye, but Kelly played right wing most of the time for us!

But that said, if we don't get at least one better quality player up front we cannot go up, certainly not top two. Grigg looks shot to me, Wyke will knock a few in ( he is the only forward who ever scores!) if the ball finds him but is sorely lacking otherwise.
    Looks like our old friend the salary cap will win out here, unless the lawyers rip it to bits that is.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021