1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Summer Transfer Window Explored

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Sep 2, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

The summer transfer window proved another busy one at Ashton Gate, with seven first-team signings and two new arrivals into the development group.

Three senior players have left the squad since the end of last season, along with four players who were on loan in BS3.

In addition, City have loaned out 15 players to a variety of clubs at differing levels of the football spectrum.

Speaking at Ashton Gate after the 11pm deadline, head coach Lee Johnson gave his thoughts on the window as a whole.

Supporters can watch the full 20-minute chat for FREE on BCTV now. Below is a summary of what he had to say.

WHAT THE GAFFER SAID

On the summer transfer window business…
    “I probably expected to make slightly less signings, five or maybe six. I’m really pleased with the quality we’ve been able to bring in. Full credit goes to the Board and Steve Lansdown for sanctioning these deals.”
    On Luke Steele’s deadline day arrival…
    “He comes in as a joint number one with Frank Fielding, but Frankie’s form has been excellent so far this season and it’s his shirt at the moment. We’ve got great young goalkeepers but we just felt we were a little light on experience should something happen to Frank.
    On Rory Holden…
    “He’s someone who has been heavily scouted. We’ve got a full time scout in Northern Ireland who has recommended a couple of players before who we haven’t taken and have gone on to do well. Brian Tinnion went to watch him; we got him over on trial and it was really Luke Williams and Alex Ball who said to me ‘you need to have a look at him’. Now we’ve signed him and it’s a good deal, with Derry able to get more money the further he progresses.”
    On Tyreeq Bakinson…
    “He’s someone we’ve been tracking for a while. He’s got something between Marvin Elliott and Patrick Vieira about him, a tall, athletic midfielder who gets from box to box. It’s not cheap and we’ve spent good money for a good young player we’re very excited about. He’s one we hope to fast track over the next 18 months into the first team.”
    On Lloyd Kelly’s England Under-20 debut…
    “I’m absolutely delighted for Lloyd. It’s great recognition for our Academy and also a proud moment for the people that brought Lloyd up. He’s unfortunate that he’s got one of the best left-backs in the Championship in Joe Bryan in front of him here at Ashton Gate. When he's 24 or 25 he will probably make a great left-sided centre-half. I’ve had a number of Premier League clubs phone me about Lloyd because he's such an interesting player with great attributes.”

On loaning out 15 players and squad size…
    "Our squad is still a bit heavy but it's difficult when you get the opportunity to sign players like Jonathan Leko. We've probably got one too many centre-halves, we're very strong there and we're also very strong on the wings. It's going to be difficult because I'm the one that's got to pick the team. At the same time, if you get a couple of injuries then you can very quickly get down and you need to utilise your squad. We want to develop players for the future and we've built up some great links with the likes of Weston, Bath, Guernsey and Cheltenham. It's not just the local clubs, with Gustav in Sweden, Jonny Smith up at AFC Fylde; it's a key role that Brian Tinnion plays, something that I felt was important when planning with Mark Ashton and Steve Lansdown. Brian and I have daily discussions, along with Luke Williams and Jamie McAllister last year because Under-23 football isn't the same as competitive men's football."
    On Aden Flint…
    “The immediate future is that Flinty is with us until January now at least. When clubs want you it can be stressful. Aden will probably have to have a period where he gets his head around it but whether it's been in training or matches, he's given everything. He's trained every day. It's credit to the club because we've stood firm; we said there was a market value and he wouldn't go anywhere unless another club met that value. It's going to be tough because we've got five quality centre-halves and you like to keep your back four consistent. Aden is a good player and in both boxes, he's as good as it gets - there's no surprise there was interest. I'll sit him down him because now the window has shut, the mindset does change. At the end of the day every footballer just wants to play football and Aden is no different to that - whether that is to put yourself in the shop window again or become a regular in the team."

On the season so far...
    "I'm pleased. I would have liked two points on the board but I'm pleased with how we've been playing. I think we're a lot stronger this year because the likes of (Josh) Brownhill, Hordur Magnusson and (Callum) O'Dowda all have the benefit of experience of a season in the Championship now. September is going to be another busy month and we're going to need everybody, which is why I'm pleased with the strength of our squad and the competition for places that we have."

EVERY CITY DEAL
    IN

Eros Pisano (Verona, free)
    Famara Diedhiou (Angers, £5.3m)
    Nathan Baker (Aston Villa, undisclosed)
    Niclas Eliasson (Norrkoping, undisclosed)
    Cauley Woodrow (Fulham, loan)
    Jonathan Leko (West Brom, loan)
    Luke Steele (Panathinaikos, free)
    Rory Holden (Derry City, undisclosed)
    Tyreeq Bakinson (Luton Town, undisclosed)

OUT
    Lee Tomlin (Cardiff City, undisclosed)
    Aaron Wilbraham (Bolton Wanderers, undisclosed)
    Mark Little (Bolton Wanderers, free)
    Tammy Abraham (Chelsea, end of loan)
    Adam Matthews (Sunderland, end of loan)
    David Cotterill (Birmingham City, end of loan)
    Fabian Giefer (Schalke 04, end of loan)

LOANED OUT
    Gustav Engvall (Djurgarden)
    Scott Golbourne (MK Dons)
    Freddie Hinds (Cheltenham Town)
    Taylor Moore (Cheltenham Town)
    Joe Morrell (Cheltenham Town)
    Diego De Girolamo (Chesterfield)
    Shawn McCoulsky (Newport County)
    Jonny Smith (AFC Fylde)
    George Dowling (Torquay United)
    Aden Baldwin (Weston-super-Mare)
    Ashley Harper (Weston-super-Mare)
    Connor Lemonheigh-Evans (Bath City)
    Jojo Wollacott (Bath City)
    Cameron Pring (Merthyr Town)
    Jake Andrews (Chippenham Town)

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/the-summer-transfer-window-explored/

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

7 first teamers in and 7 out.
    I was thinking we are a lot bigger squad than last year.
    One thing that is worth pointing out is last season we sold Ayling and that proved costly as the Mathews we had last season was not the one we had the season prior like Tomlin. So having 5 defenders could benefit us due to loss of form injurys and suspensions. So this could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
    Also it will be handy using Flint up front if needed to in the last 10 minutes of a game.

3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Think Flint is going to be used as backup,Clearly Baker was purchased to replace him,the two at the back are the future,Flint is the past.Done well for us but best he moves on,as there is no starting place for him.

4. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

If we need a lump up top at the end of a game I'd much rather Diedhiou or Djuric than Flint to be honest.

AshtonRed likes this.
  5. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Whilst I applaud the stance taken regarding Flint, there needs to be a certain amount of caution taken to avoid us cutting off our nose to spite our face (i.e. his value plummeting).

I agree with RR in that I think he'll be viewed as backup, unless things change significantly behind the scenes - might there still be scope for him to move on loan, with a view to purchase down the line?

AshtonRed likes this.
  6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

i think we have a problem Nick.i do believe only players that are free agents i-e don't have a club can move onto another club.This could affect Flints value in January if he is not playing.

7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I'm getting somewhat fed up with players running the show and the likes of Costa, Sanchez and many others should be ashamed of their attitudes and the money they chase. I read just the other day that a player had taken offence when a reporter claimed it was the players, along with their agents, who were to blame for the ridiculous salaries being paraded in football, and the very next item on the gossip page was a declaration by a player who said he would never play for his club again unless he was given a bigger salary, despite already being in a contract. Go figure out those contradictory statements. Shame on them all for their greed and at least it's good to know it's not all about the MONEY.