1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Striker issue...next season

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Bodinki, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

So who is going to be the answer to our striker issue next season.
    Its looking more and more likely that Poch is gonna be our next manager and he reportedly has made a couple of demands of the board, one being that they allow him to sign a new striker in the summer since we so desperately need one....
    Who do we favour?

Ivan Toney - I wouldnt be adverse to this. He looks a good player, has proved he can score at Premier league level and is at peak age and we could probably get him for under £70m. The only issue is that he may be facing lengthy bans very soon due to his gambling antics. He was caught gambling on football back in December and there will be hearings this summer to determine his punishment. If he ends up with a 10 + game ban, that is going to affect any bidders coming in for him....that aside, he looks a good potential signing

Harry Kane - Ok a little far out, since its unlikely Spurs would sell to us and he is older than Toney and would cost more, but he and Poch are super close and he could get into Kane's ear. The questions are, would Kane come to Chelsea, and would we get him for a realistic price?

Victor Osimhen - Looks a very tasty player, great goal scoring record and is very young at only 23. The cons are, he is not PL proven unlike Toney and Kane and he would probably, like Kane, cost £80m+. I am torn between him or Toney as my preferred option.

Romelu Lukaku - Lets not forget we already have a PL proven goalscorer on our books. Lukaku had his spats with the previous management at Chelsea, but since Roman and Tuchel are out, could he look more favourably at a Stamford Bridge return? He is no spring chicken, but he can score goals in the PL and he would be free since he is already a Chelsea player.

Armando Broja - Again, a player already on our books who has not featured heavily for us due to loan spells and injuries. Could he step up? He showed good promise at Vitesse and Southampton. He is the youngest choice at 21, but he looks to be injury prone and hasnt proven himself at the top PL level yet.

Thoughts? Who are y'alls preferred options? Any others I havent posted?

2. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Rekon we will need two strikers mate. Lukaku and Broja would be the cheaper option but who knows, what our new owner or manager will do.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Not at all sure about Broja, even before his injury he scored very few goals during his few opportunities, never set the place on fire.He's got time to come good, but given how long it took Reece James and Chilwell to return to form , I can't see him too involved until October when he should be back to match fitness.
    Lukaku ?? Who knows, I think his attitude and temperament are his biggest problems, always seems to be on the whinge.
    Tomey will almost certainly get 10 weeks if not more, he had loads of breaches clocked up, so price needs to be sensible.
    Osimhen is the stand out but everyone is after him, so why would he come to us ,with no CL and Clowns for owners.
    Harry Kane, top player but obvious problems with the 2 Clubs involved.
    Will be very interesting , we will need to break the bank to get someone worthwhile, but not a lot on the market, and on our recent form, we can't always tell the difference between overpriced logs and decent players anyway. Maybe Boehly will spend another half a billion and buy them all???

4. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

I’d stick with Lukaku and hope we can get the best out of him. It’s another disaster waiting to happen spending 80M on a forward. We’ll be trying to get rid of him after 12 months because he hasn’t scored enough goals.

Spend the money on a holding midfielder and a keeper.

Bodinki likes this.
  5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

This might be the right way.
    If we can get Toney for £60m I would take him, depending on what ban he gets.
    If not, rather than spend £90m+ plus on Osimhen, as good as he might be, now that I think about it, it might be better to stick with Lukaku.

6. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

As much as I think Lukaku is rubbish (he is) we’ve already spent the money and he does know the league.
    Maybe with a better set up around him and some more direction he would be better placed to score a few more goals.
    There’s no one out there really worth buying so there’s no point on spending.

7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Think Kane would cost the better part of £100m and the I ain't sure he'd go to Chelsea as he is desperate to win a trophy immediately (not looking at all sure for you next season) and he wants to remain on good terms with spurs fans which just won't happen.

Toney could well get a massive ban lasting up to Xmas.
    He is currently being charged with over 220 cases of betting <yikes>
    That's been the case since November so I guess that the only reason he ain't had a hearing yet is cos they are investigating others.

Think Pochetinno is going to be your manager and would work well with lakaku.

Bodinki likes this.
  8. Chelsea Pensioner

Today we started with a real striker and never played a single ball to him. In what was the worst performance and dreadful Team set up seen for many a long year, quite a few players were exposed as past it, not good enough, not interested in staying ,and one showed real promise.
    Firstly, play Sterling and we lose. Absolute dog of a player who can't pass, can't score, can't defend and was sold because City knew he was finished.
    Azpilacueta is sadly, past his use by date too. Still puts in an effort but has simply lost his legs. After a terrible display last game why was he picked again?
    Fofana, in my opinion ,is not better than Chalobah, and maybe not as good. Their roles should be reversed, Trevoh starting, Fofana on the bench.
    Kante had an awful game again too, hopeless passing but still plenty of effort.
    Of the rest, most OK but total lack of passion and appalling negativity, everything sideways and backwards, no one prepared to take a risk or go for broke.
    Apart from Mandueke. He showed what good kids can do when given a run, than so did Mudryk.
    Frank has blown his Management career for mine, with terrible Management of this situation, and plain bad selections.
    Why play the same old has beens?? Why start people who we are going to sell because they are not good enough to keep???
    There have been chances for Frank to be brave, to actually get effort and spirit back into the team, but he's shunned those and played safe, certainly in the PL.
    I think he's made things worse and set some talented kids back in the process. Not least of which is starting the burn out of Enzo.

BobbyD and Diego like this.
  9. Gareth1808

At least we scored a goal, we actually bettered my expectations. Hopefully Madueke plays more often until the season ends, granted it’s a low bar but he did at the very least look interested.

Still persisting with too many players who won’t be here next season though. That starting XI from last night could realistically have 4 players not here next season and we still managed to involve Ziyech too, no idea what the thought process is.

10. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Thought N'Kunku was joining you in the summer from RBL

Bodinki likes this.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I forgot about him to be honest.
    Yeah he has signed a pre contract to join us in July.
    He is young at 25 and he looks decent.

12. Solid_Air 2

So next season you have
    N'Kunku
    Auba
    Lukaku
    Broja

all for 1 slot so your striker problem appears to be an excess rather than lack <whistle>

13. Gareth1808

Nkunku has been bought to play behind the striker from what I’ve read...

Broja has missed almost the whole season and still isn’t fit, Aubameyang definitely isn’t around next season which leaves Lukaku, depending on whether the new manager wants him or not.

14. Solid_Air 2

who do you think is going to buy Auba ?

15. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Release him for all I care, only got a year left.
    If no one one picks him up

16. Gareth1808

Barcelona want him back. But if nobody buys him we’ll pay off his contract, no way is he here next season.

17. Solid_Air 2

Barca won't pay money for him as they haven't any . As for just paying him off even your club cannot continue just burning through money.

18. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

We would have to pay him either way.
    And he wont play if he stays when Lukaku, Nkunku and Broja are available so it makes little difference

19. Gareth1808

If they want him they’ll get him for nothing. Essentially whatever happens, I wouldn’t put him down as one of our striker options for next season.

Diego likes this.
  20. Chelsea Pensioner

I can't see Auba at the Bridge at all. Broja won't be match fit until October and will get little time on the pitch till then. Don't know a lot about N'Kunku, but is he an out and out striker?? As for Lukaku, who knows what state of mind he'll be in ?? We will have to wait and see, but I think we'll be after someone, plus a midfielder to attack and score, we're light on for those , most of ours seem to want to be wingers!! Felix is brilliant, with better management and tactics, maybe him??