1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Stayers' Hurdle 2019

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jan 22, 2019.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The Stayers Hurdle is a Grade 1 National Hunt hurdle race in Great Britain which is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run on the New Course at Cheltenham over a distance of about 3 miles (4,828 metres), and during its running there are twelve hurdles to be jumped. The race is scheduled to take place each year during the Cheltenham Festival in March. It is the leading long-distance hurdle event in the National Hunt calendar, and it is the feature race on the third day of the Festival.

The inaugural race was run in 1912 at Prestbury Park over 3 miles with £100 (£200 in 1913) prize money to the winner and £10 to the runner-up. It was called "Stayers Selling Hurdle" and was a Weight for Age Selling type of event with the winning horse being sold for £50 after the race. The race was dropped from the festival programme twice during 1928-1929 and in 1939-1945 but in 1946 it replaced the Spa Hurdle which was previously ran in 1923 and 1942 over 2 miles. From 1946 to 1967 the Spa Hurdle was ran over the same 3 miles until being renamed in 1972 as the Stayers' Hurdle when it was sponsored by Lloyds Bank. It was backed by Waterford Crystal from 1978 to 1990, and by Bonusprint from 1991 to 2004. The race used to be held on either the Tuesday or the Wednesday of the Festival, but it was moved to the Thursday in 1993.

The 2019 renewal received 51 initial entries and the clear favourite for the race at this stage is reigning champion Penhill from Willie Mullins yard. The 2017 Albert Bartlett winner is starting to look like a "1 race per season wonder" as he went straight to the festival last season and looks like doing so again this time around. Clearly best fresh, he has been beaten at the last 2 Punchestown festivals after winning at Cheltenham and Willie Mullins knows exactly how to get this type of horse to Cheltenham in peak condition as he used to do it every year with Quevega. Another Mullins inmate, Faugheen, is also entered and may well try and land the stayers crown after winning the Champion Hurdle in 2015 and romping away with the Punchestown Stayers title in 2018. A heavy fall over Christmas denied us the opportunity of seeing him go toe-to-toe with Apples Jade but the mare is unlikely to reoppose here. Last years second, Supasundae, is also part of a strong Irish challenge and he has looked as good as ever this season, twice finishing second in Grade 1 company over shorter trips.

The Cleeve Hurdle this coming Saturday should tell us more about the British challenge and Paisley Park is currently favourite for that race having won the Long Walk in impressive fashion just before Christmas. A couple of old favourites potentially returning to hurdles from chasing, Lil Rockerfeller and Black Op, could add spice to the Cleeve and to the Stayers picture.

redcgull, Reebok and Pilgrim like this.
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

I know I'm not very original but Penhill for me. I have several bets since April of last year 6/1 and 8/1.

Ste D likes this.
  3. Furiousiceman

Furiousiceman Active Member

Agreed on Penhill. Been chipping away at nr/nb since markets were formed. Only horse I'd fear would be Supasundae but I'm not convinced that one turns up here.

4. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

You have a lot of ante post bets Pilgrim! I don't see the logic of several ante post bets on the one horse that isn't even certain to turn up yet...but then again don't really see much point in ante post betting at Cheltenham. Plenty of choice and there will be good prices available on the day..

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right but I love the ante post bets especially in Cheltenham. Sometimes they go well and most badly but that's the risk. And with Penhill and Presenting Percy I have broken an unwritten rule of mine for which I don't make ante post bets unless they are more than 10/1 and those only to winner, E/W of 16/1 up. For example last year had Samcro 16/1 since September 2017 and did not go wrong, this year I have lost with Draconien 20/1, QuicK Grabim 33/1, and Envoi Allen 20/1 but I have a few in which I have confidence: Glen Forsa 14/1, Carefully selected 20/1 and Blow By Blow 25/1 (today have left the marks of the Irish horses for Saturday in Cheltenham and have awarded 148 so he not be able to run in the Kim Muir and I hope he runs in the National Hunt Chase).

I'm waiting to see Thursday Cilaos Emery, 20/1 for the Arke, I also have Daphne du Clos 14/1, Coo Star Sivola 33/1 and Laurina 12/1. I'll settle for one of them to be a winner and already cover expenses.

CaptainPops likes this.
  6. Furiousiceman

Furiousiceman Active Member

My approach to ante post is I'm not a big punter. Strictly a £5 a race kind of bettor. So for Cheltenham I nominate a couple of horses take a fiver here, fiver there approach. If the horse turns up I have a decent wedge on it. If not it's annoying but because it was over a lengthy period I don't feel the hit. It's served me well over the last few festivals.

Pilgrim, Chaninbar and CaptainPops like this.
  7. CaptainPops

I like the sound of Laurina for you but IF she turns up and you never know with Mullins. Mind you it will probably be good to soft on the day. Mullins will run her and she 'll hose up..leaving us all to wonder why all the fuss over the at least soft ground scenario..

Pilgrim likes this.
  8. CaptainPops

Fair enough ..

9. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Intriguingly, Lil Rockerfeller also has an entry in a ‘Pertemps Qualifier’ at the weekend. More plots than an Agatha Christie novel and all that…

OddDog likes this.
  10. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

44 left in after the latest forefeit stage and Willie Mullins reports Penhill to be bang on target to defend his crown. He is, however, currently only 3rd favourite in the betting behind Paisley Park and, surprisingly, Presenting Percy. The Gold Cup favourite has yet to jump a fence in open company and his next (and final) chance for a prep run in this weekend's Bobbyjo Chase may well be scuppered by the ground. Interest grew in him for this market after his impressive win in the Galmoy Hurdle but it would be a major shock (at least to me) if he were to run here instead of the Gold Cup.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I had earmarked Cracking Smart for last year's Festival but he got injured. After a long lay off he made his reappearance in a race in which he really had no chance and dropped out tamely after seemingly enjoying himself. Not been seen since so I'm hoping that was an exploratory run to see how long he could keep up without being pushed. So, I'm sticking to him for this race, although he is also entered in a G3 (Coral). Whichever one he goes for he will be my ew hope 25/1 for both readily available and 40's still available for this race