1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Secret Footballer

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by O.Spurcat, Dec 20, 2012.

1. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

I have just finished reading a book written by the Secret Footballer, who I gather is a professional footballer with PL experience, who writes a regular column in the Guardian newspaper revealing true behind the scenes tales of what really goes on at football clubs.

His true identity has never been revealed although there have been many educated guesses as to who he might be. I have never seen his Guardian column's but from the book I have learned he didn't arrive in top level football through the traditional youth system and joined the game late. He joined a lower league side before getting a big move to a club where he played PL football, where he spent a number of years although not with that same club.

He talks reasonably openly of the booze, women, and other temptations which are there in a footballer' life and the problems which getting involved in can cause. He also talks of the many factors involved in transfers and the way players can manipulate situation to earn thousands of extra pounds through moves and with the help of agents.

It's a good read and does offer some insight into what "really" goes on. After reading the book, I did a quick internet search and it appears the identity of this player was for a long time thought to be Dave Kitson, but a recent poll has made Danny Murphy as a clear favourite.

Does anyone on here know/read of his columns in the Guardian and if so, who do you think the player is ?? Also, has anyone else read the book ??

2. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I've read some of the columns in The Guardian and I think they're a good insight into aspects of the world of a top level footballer that, even with the advent of Twitter etc. we don't always see or appreciate. My Uni newspaper has one called 'the secret intra-mural footballer' which is similar (although obviously a lot more trivial!) and is always a good read. I wish there was more of that sort of thing around, although obviously I guess that sort of thing could backfire if the footballer was 'discovered' and he had revealed something or said something he shouldn't have.

It's one of those that I'd prefer it if we don't know who he is. It would kind of ruin the point, the mystery and the fun. Similar to when Banksey's identity was revealed, it ruined the mystery surrounding his work and I don't really get why someone would want to do that.

3. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

funny you mention this SC as i nearly ordered the book, i wonder if it isn't actually a footballer and just someone acting as a secret footballer and therefore cant be outed? anyhow sounds like a good read.

4. O.Spurcat

Cheers for the reply Huddlefro. I must say I would prefer to know who it is, I'm a nosey so and so !!

5. O.Spurcat

Hi Boss. Hmm, hadn't thought of that option, if he isn't a 'real' footballer, it would appear he's done a bloody good job of convincing people otherwise. Reviews on Kindle give it great reviews,but reality is it's 8 out of 10 max.

6. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

What's Banksy's name?

7. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

well in the spirit of this, forget my idea and i went on google and one name mentioned is Kevin Davies of bolton? but then you said he came into the game late so if true that rules him out.

8. O.Spurcat

I'd forgotten that Kevin Davies was a prominent name when I googled this. I happen to know a fair bit about Kitson who apparantly was the long time favourite, and whilst a lot of the clues given I can link with my knowledge of him, there are more which rule him out.

9. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

the website www.whoisthesecretfootballer.co.uk is said ( by someone on twitter) to be.registered by a company that only has three footballers on their books and one of them is the legend robbo! although i wouldnt have him down as a guardian reader!

10. O.Spurcat

That is very interesting and the thought of Robbo is growing on me. The book is pretty much up to date (it talks of Chav's CL win), and I can immediately associate some of the stuff written with Robbo. I'm tempted to read the book again with Robbo in mind and see if I can find any more plausible links.

11. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Banksy got outed by various sources as one Robin Gunningham, his life story seemed to match up with the one in one of Banksy's books and he was in Bristol and London at the right times for it to be plausible. Not sure if thats ever been confirmed actually, so I may have been wrong in saying that the identity was revealed.

But I still think that a huge part of the appeal of the secret footballer (and indeed Banksy) is that we don't know who they are, anyone we walk past in the street or see on our TVs could be writing/drawing under these pseudonyms and we would be none the wiser. And as much as I know I'm bursting the bubble somewhat, I really prefer it that way. It gives them more freedom to say/do what they want and that can only be a good thing.

12. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Kinda like the Stig on top gear.

When u know who it is, it just doesn't seem the same.

13. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

...and Mr. Blobby. :)

Sadly I can't contribute anything better than that! as I don't read books, and wasn't aware of the Guardian column, that will change from here on, what day does it come out on?

14. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

If you go to the Guardian site and put Secret Footballer in the search box, you will find all the articles.

Good read. <ok>

15. notsosmartspur

Thanks Spurf

<cheers> mate.

...bit dim of me not to think of that myself! <doh> :D

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From what I've read of the blogs I'm pretty certain that he played under Redknapp, possibly at West Ham.
    He's definitely English and seems to be an attacking player who has had a few transfers and has played for a struggling top-flight side, thought that could still be the Spammers, I guess.
    Might be Parker, strangely.
    One other consideration is that it could be more than one player, but that it's ghost written by one journalist.

17. notsosmartspur

I haven't read them all PNP, why English?, I was thinking John Hartson till you said that. he's doing more and more media work these days.

18. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's made the odd reference to the national team as "we" or "us", though I can't remember whether it was as a player that was involved or just as a normal fan would.
    Could be someone that's capped for another country, I guess, but I can't see Hartson making that sort of reference.

19. notsosmartspur

Nor can I now, I'm back to square one! <steam>

:D

ffs, its a current player!....what nob said Hartson! <whistle>

20. notsosmartspur

Right, doing some proper homework now having found this... http://www.whoisthesecretfootballer.co.uk/what-we-know/

At the moment these 2 bits have caught my eye...

What We Know from the article on 7 April 2012:
    TSF has mad a &#8216;big-money move&#8217; and suffered in a similar way to Any Carroll as a result.
    He is not a Liverpool fan.

What We Know from the article on 30 Apr 2011:
    He played with Paolo Di Canio: &#8220;I played with a foreign player who was a master at winning free-kicks after minimal contact. Our manager loved him and would say to us: &#8220;You all need to be more streetwise like Paolo&#8221;

Scott Parker - moved to Chelsea and was injury stricken.

The obvious is West Ham, but Di Canio and Parker were at Charlton in 04, the manager could be Curbishley.

Nope, all gone wrong with the daughter, Parkers got 3 boys I believe...<steam>...just about everything else fits.