1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Rise of Uruguay? Beneficial to LFC

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Ze, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

At the back of a very disappointing U23 campaign, it wouldn't be obvious that Uruguay lie 3rd in Fifa world rankings, then again Spain lie first, and they finished before they even started.

Over the past 3 years Uruguay have started to really gain momentum as their star players like Cavani, Suarez, Godin and even Forlan really started to make impression on the club scene, which has sparked a revolution in South America, as to which the best team down there is. It seems from a European perspective that Brazil have a much higher number of big name players who can grow to be superb players but it all but disguises that fact that Uruguay are the equivalent Continent winners down there; dismissing the might of Brazil and Argentina to gain the title.

However, how does this help us?

Recently, we've been linked with a lot of Uruguayan players because of the presence of the mighty Suarez, and the promising defender Coates. With G. Ramirez linked we could be looking at a rather large contingent of Uruguayan players similar to that of our Spanish contingency with Rafa. Anyone who knows our history knows how good it was to have that contingency forming the basis of the Liverpool team and at times, it seemed the Spain team. Garcia, Alonso, Reina, Torres... a brilliant player in each part of the field to add that spark. This obviously led to Spain becoming the best team in the world with Barcelona producing such stars as Iniesta, Pique, Busquets etc... at the same time.

There are a number of similarities bringing us back to that time; the main one I see is a possibility to build another backbone within the team. Kenny tried to do it with English players, and it's obvious our country just doesn't have the talented stock it once had. However, it is in abundance in countries like Uruguay so it makes sense.

In a way; Uruguay's fortunes run with our own. As long as we have Suarez and Coates in our side, we will have something over our rivals... however as we rise up the table, hopefully so will Uruguay cement their place at the top of the world and we can once again attract those big names to our club.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

what about work permit issues?

I'm sure you could have 3 from uraguay but you've have to hope you could get work permits and not break any rules about playing too many!

it's like having too many africans when it comes to the ANC or in this case copa america and long haul trips etc....

I don't think its a great idea to be flooded with players from SA... but i do think for value and talent its the place to go.

We need 6 home grown lads and 3-4 top players from the Spanish and Portuguese speaking world it seems.

3. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

I think if a player is good enough then it's not an issue as you can work under the Extraordinary Talent work visa, which even Coates falls under, it only becomes difficult if a player is much younger and their talent is more latent, meaning he'd have to be loaned out until eligible for visa

4. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Olympics and u23 for that is all crap and should be ignored. Like you said Spain did terrible, Uruguay the same and the Germans weren't even there as an example.
    Rafa didn't get enough credit for knowing Spain would become the best team ever and got the best Spanish talent he could get hold of, sadly missing out on Silva.

If we lose Agger, should be £25m plus, or something like £15m and Adam Johnson. However, it may seem that Godin is available from Atletico Madrid and of course I would love to see us get Ramirez. 3-4 from a country is a good contingent.

5. SJD

SJD Well-Known Member

Good points Ze.
    I agree I think we should look to have a strong influence in the squad from that region.
    Gaston Ramirez is looking like he will be the next one in. As long as his bloody agent doesn’t talk him into going for the money at City :mad:

6. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

Spurs seem to be the others sniffing around, Dont see City needing him tbh

7. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

Us and Spurs always want the same players.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

agreed it is standard press fare to link any player rumored to be interesting either club to the other.

if we sniff round within a week some hack will link the sample player to the spuds....

its the same for city and utd.. anyone utd are in for is going to city within a week.

funnily enough bar sigurdsson i can't right now think of any exmaples of players we beat spurs to or they beat us to on a genuine basis.... I can think for more that went to utd last summer!

9. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Suarez, Adam and Friedel.

10. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Carroll also...although I don't think that counts as they weren't stupid enough to spend £35m. <ok>

11. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

I also think Joe Cole. Van Der Vaart claimed we tried to sign him but it was denied by LFC bosses and Roy.

12. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

You're giving Rafa a tad too much credit there. I don't think him signing Spanish players was purely down to the fact they were going to be the 'best team ever' or at the very least a near unbeatable international side.

All he was doing was signing players from a league he was very familiar with and signing players who would be easier to communicate with.

And Spain have always had a lot of good players, its just recently that they've developed into a winning side.