1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Potting shed

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, Jun 11, 2013.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

A place to come for a brew and thorny discussions on plants weeds and all things related

Questions will be answered
    ... hopefully...

Answers will be questioned ... certainly... with this crew ;)

Post your photos too <ok>

2. yorkshirehornet

First question to the motley crew:

Can anyone recommend good roses for a garden that gets very cold winters, wet weather for weeks on end in the spring and very hot weather in the summer. Plus with a good scent and a reasonable length flowering season.... could be a little late July onwards.. I am thinking of shrub roses for a French garden.. need to be a robust plant....

Cheers :)

3. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc Member

Weed?? Right Im telling the site administrators and getting you all banned

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

;)

5. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

I was hoping to get some tips Mitch...

6. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc Member

Dont think waitering would be your thing tbh

7. yorkshirehornet

You can event plant a bad deal on a potting thread... Well stone me..... ;)

8. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend good roses for a garden that gets very cold winters, wet weather for weeks on end in the spring and very hot weather in the summer. Plus with a good scent and a reasonable length flowering season.... could be a little late July onwards.. I am thinking of shrub roses for a French garden.. need to be a robust plant....

Ignore them Yorkshire, good thread. We have a few good roses in our cold Scottish Garden, will let you know what they are soon. They are climbers but I think you can get shrub versions. They were flowering in November last year!

9. yorkshirehornet

I can handle them Scully.... Their brains have been rotted , strangled with weed ;)

Thanks , I was thinking perhaps that some good Scottish bred roses would be up to it. We also do need a climber for a pergola...

I used to have quite a few David Austin new roses a few years back in Leeds.... but they are heavy headed and in the rain are not good....

10. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Here in Essex, the soil is very 'clayee'. I am thinking of planting something in a small bed, but obviously the clay is not ideal. Any idea of what I can use that will let things grow?

My idea was just to keep it clear and chuck some bark down over it, but Maestroette wants to plant something

11. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Talking of sheds...has anyone replaced one recently? I've inherited one in the corner of the garden but the roof leaks and the rest of it is pretty knackered. It's probably about 8 feet by 5 and wouldn't take too much knocking down but I've yet to investigate where to go for a replacement if I do.

12. Scullion

Roses like clay soil. Plant them and surround them with manure which will feed them and break up the clay over time.

If you can make clay workable, it's one of the best soils to grow things in.

13. Scullion

Roses like clay soil. Plant them and surround them with manure which will feed them and break up the clay over time.

If you can make clay workable, it's one of the best soils to grow things in.

14. Scullion

Worth paying more to get something substantial. Don't have much experience of Sheds but the ones I see in B&Q etc would not get a safety certificate. I have seen some second hand, which might be a bargain if its a solid shed and you can be bothered to transport it and put it up.

15. yorkshirehornet

This is a cut and paste but does say it:

There are several different types of methods of construction used in the manufacture of wooden sheds. Shiplap is a method used to form a tight seal between wooden boards, using a rabbet which allows the boards to overlap. Because of its sealing properties, it does not let damp or cold air into the building as much as some other methods of construction and thus a wooden shed produced using this method does not need as much maintenance. The overlap shed is perhaps the most popular type of wooden shed, with its distinctive overlaid wooden panels. This construction method is sturdy but over time may allow damp through to the interior of the building to cause damp and damage. The tongue and groove technique is the most water and air tight joinery technique and consequently the most expensive.

We paid almost £2k for a large superior tongue and groove one in France.. it was made in Finland and guaranteed for 5 years for pretty rough French weather ... it was made with thick boards. basically you pay for the thickness of the wood. The thicker the better... and then double treat is when you install it. best to have a concrete floor too.

16. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

dont forget garden essentials

please log in to view this image

17. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Cheers, Yorkie...I shall do a bit of internet research and also consider the theo finances.

On another gardening matter, has anyone grown garlic successfully. We planted some for the first time this year. Above ground it looks good and the outer leavers are beginning to turn a little yellow which I thought indicated it was ready to lift. However the first one we lifted has no real bulb Any thoughts?

18. Scullion

I have the same problem.

19. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was in the rose garden in Regent's Park. All the different varieties of roses were named on little signs besides the bush. The roses surrounding the toilets were called "Golden Showers". True story.

20. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I don't understand! Can you explain please?

<whistle> <laugh>