Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Napoleon was pretty disparaging about the English too. For my part I went to university in France and I still spend about a quarter of each year there. I adore the French. And I am rarely identified as English so I can promise you they are pretty disparaging about the English when they think there are none of us around. But nor do they spare their fellow countrymen. I studied in Lyon and i remember they had very few nice things to say about the Parisiens.

2. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Government-owned firm behind HS2 accused of trying to 'con' Boris Johnson into giving it green light

We know that Boris does not want to cancel HS2 before the local elections in May because of fears that it will cost the Tory mayor of the West Midlands his job.

Instead it seems that they are quite happy to allow more money to be poured into this bottomless pit. The ‘influential business people’ with big stakes invested in HS2 can simple switch to supplying for rail infrastructure between Liverpool, Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds, York and Hull or Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester.

The economic case for HS2 becomes weaker and weaker as the spiralling costs that have been hidden come to light. HS2 just creates more and more dependency on London and the South East; already the most overcrowded and congested part of the country. Since they are so rich in that part of the country, why do they need the rest of the country to subsidise HS2?

3. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

It was allegedly Napoleon that referred to us as a “nation of shopkeepers” but I believe there is some doubt about this as no contemporary evidence can be found that he said it.

Somewhat ironic that he was so disparaging about the English when an Irishman backed up by a load of English, Irish, Prussians and Dutchmen kicked his butt in the Netherlands. At least he got the wars named after him; and it gave Benny and Björn an idea for the Eurovision Song Contest 150 years later. <laugh>

LG likes this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nobody here likes the Parisians much, it seems. But where we live, we are known as the English and we have always found people, in every walk of life, very pleasant and helpful. ln fact, everywhere we have been in France we have only found people very friendly. We wouldn't still be here if that wasn't the case. As In everything, one can't over generalise

LG, smokethedeadbadger and Chaninbar like this.
  5. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

so how is everyone planning to celebrate/commemorate Brexit Day on Friday ?

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have no idea what there is to celebrate. I will wait to see if there is anything to celebrate at the end of the year

7. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

“I think the reality of the situation is that the European Union is a union of 27 member states. The UK is only one country.”
    “So if these were two teams up against each other playing football, who do you think has the stronger team? So long as we're united.”

– Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar speaking to the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg.

Mr Varadkar clearly needs someone to help him out with his reasoning.

Add together the population of the 19 smallest EU member states and you still have not as many people as the population of the UK. There are only four big players in Europe and we are one of them.

Which country is Ireland’s biggest trading partner? Virtually everything that the Republic produces passes through Britain. Somebody needs a geography lesson. We may be ‘small’ geographically but we outnumber Ireland 15-1.

Once Brexit is completed, which single country will be the EU’s biggest export market?

Michel Barnier is reported as stating that in a Brexit Deal “millions of jobs are at stake in Europe”. He is right in two respects: (1) if they do not strike a free trade deal, tariffs on exports to the UK could see jobs lost across EU exporters; and (2) freed from the shackles of EU bureaucracy, the UK could start undercutting EU countries in exporting goods and services to the rest of the world, putting EU jobs at risk through competition.

8. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Sajid Javid reveals new NHS budget
    please log in to view this image

9. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Barnier, yes the chap who very cleverly came up with the Irish border problem has now dropped his warning that with the trade deficit we have with the EU they really need to get their backsides in to gear now and sort out a proper and fair trade deal. Just as brexiters said all along.

I will celebrate with a nice cup of tea and enjoy living in a free country again.

Ron likes this.
  10. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

I didn’t realise that I don’t currently live in a free country. Well there you go you learn something new every day <cheers>

rudebwoy and Ron like this.

11. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

You seem to have a difficulty in understanding simple mathematics.
    I would have thought that it is fairly irrelevant to add together the populations of the 19 smallest EU member states.
    The most important number is the combined population of the unified EU 27 countries which we will be up against in trade talks. That figure is I understand about 450 million, which is somewhat larger than the UK.

The EU could therefore quite easily adapt and manage without the UK, whereas the UK would not survive without the EU.
    Which side therefore holds the upper hand in trade talks ?

12. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Looks like closed borders are becoming very fashionable since this corona virus.

13. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

corona is a lovely lager <cheers>

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I’m sure viruses respect borders.

15. Archers Road

It’s really not, it’s rank.

Bustino74 and Toby like this.
  16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Not sure this is the sort of free publicity the Mexicans wanted <laugh>
    please log in to view this image

floridaspearl likes this.
  17. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

You are totally ignorant of the real simple mathematics that matter here.

We run a €90bn trade deficit with the EU. They want to keep selling us stuff in 2021 without tariffs otherwise the EU’s two biggest economies – Germany and France – start shedding jobs; and the resulting recession will totally destroy the EU political project. A few hundred thousand unemployed Germans and French will soon hold their national governments to account.

Just how much do we import from/export to Hungary, Bulgaria, Croatia, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovenia, Estonia, Cyprus, Luxembourg and Malta? London has a bigger population than all bar the first two. Most of them only benefit from our tourism. If they do not want us to visit anymore, I am sure the Germans will show up with their beach towels.

Strange that we are leaving on Friday and nobody in Brussels has had a whip round. Are they a bit cash-strapped until the divorce payment arrives?

18. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

you are correct in that the EU will be damaged by Brexit.
    however I still believe that the hit to the UK economy will be worse than if we had stayed an EU member.

no doubt the answers will become apparent over the coming months and years.

19. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

The Police were battling Fireman on the streets of Paris yesterday, incredible scenes.

20. Archers Road

The same thing happened just before Christmas. Presumably they've had to work together between fights. I wonder how much distrust this has caused between them?